Classless

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Groans, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Groans Augur

You guys going to do it? Wtb Classless server.
  2. Zanarnar Augur

So all you can do is wear gear that all classes could wear, and have no skills, spells, or AA abilities (that fall outside the General Tab)? Ya that sounds as boring as it would be pointless.
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Jontrann Augur

No
  4. Warpeace Augur

The Nudist server.:cool:
  5. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

LOL a Classless server done legit would take a bazillion man hours to just tweak the spells the right way, not the "Homemade Server" way.
  6. Nolrog Augur

What is this, who can come up with the worst new server idea week?
  7. FluttyMan Elder

maybe we need a serverless server?
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Machen New Member

That's every week.
  9. Moranis Augur

Maybe this server allows us to choose w/e spells / abilities we want on our classless toon?

Would be interesting if you could completely customize a character . Different abilities are worth different "points" - like you can choose to have a Warrior-like defense, with crap melee DPS, but minor healing skills and minor DD spells.

Or you can be a cloth wearing, monk-like DPS, with no healing but decent caster DPS spells. Or have ranger-like defense, and monk-like dps with no casting abilities.

But that's a whole new game...I'd play though - as long as there were no kronos o_O
  10. Risiko Augur

It's actually a lot easier to do than you are making it out to be. You just have to choose which strategy to take: spell/ability scribing or AA purchase.

Then you choose a base class to use as the class that everybody technically is when they create their character.

You have to stay away from classes that don't have mana pools which eliminated monk, rogue, and berserker. The bard is tricky as well because of the way it regains mana. I've found that shadow knight makes a good starter class for this kind of server design.

When I've tried this in the past just messing around, I made an NPC that gave you quests for the different schools of magic (cleric, enchanter, ranger, etc). As you completed the quests in a particular school, you would progress in that line and gain spells/abilities. So, if you focused mainly on doing cleric quests, your character would have mainly cleric spells/abilities.

Doing it via AAs, you could have it so that every level gives you X number of AAs to spend, and you can spend them how ever you see fit. This would create a style more like those found in skill tree based MMORPGs.

Either way, it is completely doable. The game client will support that functionality. It's a matter of setting up the data and server scripts for the quests.
  11. Risiko Augur

By the way, the way you make this kind of character development enforced on a server is to take all spell drops out of the game and remove all spell scrolls and tomes from vendors. Then you mark all spell scrolls and tomes as No Drop. That way, when someone gets a spell scroll or tome from an NPC via a quest, they can't give it to anyone else.

Just keep the leveling system the same as it is today, so if you do a bunch of quests in a particular line of spells, you can obtain the spell scrolls, but you can't scribe them until your character level reaches the minimum level for it.
  12. Moranis Augur

This would be interesting - assuming there was some type of "exclusionary" progression or have a limited number of allowable spells / skills - meaning that you couldn't be a super-hardcore neckbeard and just do every single quest and be ridiculously powerful. If you went and did all the "cleric" line of quests, or whatever, you were limited in the other spell lines.
  13. strongbus Augur

Sounds like what eq2 was like at the start of the game. everyone started as a level 1 gen toon. as you leveled you did quests to branch out into the different trees(tanks/melee/caster/healer)
  14. code-zero Augur

I recall Free Realm having jobs which a single character could train up. Switch jobs and you equip new gear, skill and spells, of course you had to gear for each job
  15. Hythos Augur

SWG was "Classless", and allowed anyone to choose any of the 6 basic professions.
    I still feel SWG was the best MMO I've played.
    While it would be nice to think that all it would take with EQ would be to uncheck one box in the Server Administration UI (akin to enabling MMO in Goat Simulator :) ), I would have to expect it to be a bit more fundamental than that...

Dark Age of Camelot started off with few basic classes that then progressed to each have multiple advanced classes. Still, different game.

We can hope that EQ3 has a system which allows a character to either multi-class, or, to possibly switch classes(?) without having to re-roll a new character.
  16. strongbus Augur

I like to see something like what the 1st final fantace online did. you had your main class but could pick a sub class that you could train skills/spells up to half of your main classes levels.
  17. Risiko Augur

You can do that by making a prerequisite for all AAs of a particular class require 1 point in an AA that opens up that class. Then make the only way to get that AA be to do a quest where you pick your sub class.

That way, if you choose the enchanter stub class, you get that AA, and your unable to pick any other sub class AA because the npc would refused to give you the subclass quest again.
  18. Machen New Member

SO a paladin?
    Thewiz and Nennius like this.
  19. Brunlin Augur

So a new game?
  20. Risiko Augur

This thread (and the fact that real Everquest is down for 24 hours) got me interested in messing with my server again. I have a sword that has four augments on it. The four augments have procs of self heal, aoe stun, clinging darkness, and life tap. I was running around unrest slaughtering bugs lol.