0-box server..

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hirbow, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Yummydain New Member

Worked pretty dang well on a server I've played on. Granted this was on another game that is infamous for having a horrid bot/script issue for well over a decade. Just because you deny something as a solution doesn't invalidate it. I implore you to write a script in two minutes that can solve math problems in pop up pictures that aren't plain text.
  2. Yummydain New Member

Here's a thought, and I know it might be difficult for you to comprehend... Maybe you just DONT auto attack and go afk? Imagine that! Also, and I know I'm asking a lot of you here, consider disabling input on the box for even just half a second so you can't accidentally click the incorrect response. If you can open your eyes, and even your mind, you'd see this isn't a short sighted solution. The sweaty 6 boxers I'm talking about are obviously the ones using 3rd party software to automate attacks. Unless you have the fastest hands in the west and can alt tab quick enough to enable auto attack on all 6 windows at exactly the same time, then I applaud you. It's painfully obvious when people are using software to automate or simplify gameplay. Don't try to take what I've said and lead it into the wrong conclusion on purpose.
  3. code-zero Augur

Given that there are plenty of legit players who apparently can't respond to a /tell or a /say from a Guide or GM on TLP servers (at least they say they are legit) I don't think this will work as well as you think it does
  4. Runes Augur

I have played on the last five TLPs from day one through at least PoP and I have never had issues leveling or getting gear because of rampant Botters. I don't like them and maybe I had to wait a month to get certain items but who cares? So I didn't get djarn ring or boots or circlet of shadows or Heiro cloak right away, it wasn't game breaking.

What would be a huge PITA would be if I had pop ups to click on or math problems to solve because of a handful of Botters farming certain items to sell.

The real bottlenecks and griefers were the real life people at their computers that locked down keys and epic pieces but they are not Botters so a pop up window won't do squat.

Rather than spend time on coding or solving a small problem impacting a small group of people I'd rather have Devs solve some of the epic drop bottlenecks and key progression cockblocks that I can't bypass easily without being excluded from large contents and epics.
  5. Machen New Member

That's literally exactly not how Krono work. They are tied to your account, not your character or server. When you start on a brand new server, you immediately have access to all the krono on your account on the new server. You can immediately trade them for items on the new server. Not "I will trade you 2 krono on my old server for items here" but "Let me put two krono in your trade window right now for that item here." No matter what character or server you are logged in to, your krono will always be there.
  6. Machen New Member

If you are putting captcha style images on the screen, it might work. On the other hand, if I had to solve a captcha every 5-10 minutes, I would not play that game. If you are just putting up text in an image it's easy enough to automate screen capture and use OCR to capture the math problem and solve it.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because no one ever has a fight start and need to answer the phone/door or something else that would distract them for a short period of time.
    Fraggly likes this.
  8. Fraggly Augur

Oh sorry filling up my water jug for 30 seconds got me booted, because i don't live in a small box. I agree it is painfully obvious when people use software, especially if it is the software that moves characters in a radial fashion behind an enemy, then rotates them back in the direction they came from, then moves.

It's also painfully obvious that this idea would hurt normal people playing and probably do nothing to the software players, as many others have already tried pointing out to you. I lost track of how many autofire Andy's i have come across in this game that will be AFK for two mobs then show up for one because they are watching Netflix, browsing social media, or playing with their babies. Grouping with these people is literally what drove me to boxing. All these casual types would get roasted by your idea.

Truebox is just fine, there will never be a 0 box official server. Go play P99, get this, where they don't have boxes (unless you grease the wheels of certain people), or Krono. One thing i certainly never will be able to comprehend is the vendetta against people who are capable of playing more than one Everquest character pre-OoW. Sorry you can't comprehend how easy, and fun, it is to control a few toons, or a group, in a game where literally hitting the auto attack button and never looking back can get you by.

I wouldn't ever play on a server like this but i hope you get it so you can come back here and complain about what the next server should be, and i don't end up spending ~$45+ a month on EQ again...as much as i really want to right now.

^
  9. Nolrog Augur

/sigh. This has been beaten to death 10000 times. But here we go again . . . . . .

All this does is increase the risk significantly for people to do trades. Now I have to give Jyve my FBSS and hope he will actually meet me on Drinal to give me the krono. And Jyve skips out on me, which happens, I now post a CS ticket to waste their time trying to fix this for me.
  10. Nolrog Augur

I think I lost two dozen IQ points just reading this thread.
  11. Hirbow Augur

Maybe I didn't come across properly with my idea , let me reword it:

Its not just starting with 0 kronos. Its Not being able to trade Kronos not generated from this server. Does that clarify your point? So no, you cannot log in on your mothers account to trade on FV server to bring back onto the server.

0 Krono start, trade only generated kronos from this server. Your 35000 kronos you have saved to pay your rent, can't be used to destroy the whole economy on the server by infiltrating it from another server.

Earn it the hard way with 0 boxes.
  12. Machen New Member

How does a server generate krono? (Hint: it doesn't. There is nothing about krono entering the system that is tied to a particular server. You can't purchase them for a particular server. You don't even buy them in game. When you buy them, you never tell Darkpaw what server you intend to use them on. You don't have to, because they are tied to your account, not to the server, and are available on every server that exists.)

It's not that you aren't explaining it well, it is that your idea is inherently incompatible with how kronos work.
    Shanarias and code-zero like this.
  13. complexication Kassina

This entire concept is a failure from the ground up.

Zero box servers will never happen, ever.
    1. We don't live in the era of Static IP addresses, and haven't for about a decade. The only time you'll see a static ip in this day and age is in FTP/web servers.
    2. Your Service provider handles IP configuration via DHCP.
    3. Which makes it super easy to bypass should you discover an "IP block" (which is super rare)
    4. an IP block to limit one account per IP address would screw literally anyone with a shared ip network (dorms, internet cafes, household with multiple computers).
    5. and implementing a way to have those people be able to bypass a block would be next to impossible. How is a GM supposed to tell if you're telling the truth or not?
    Zero Krono will never happen ever as well
    • Kronos are account based, not character based.
    • and it's impossible to disable that for a specific server.
    2 month unlocks would guarantee the server turns out to be a fail. People with time and money on their hands have the ability to finish expansion content within days. Having to wait another 57 days for new content would sharply result in a low player population.
    Beastlords/Zerkers at start - you clearly don't know how to group, or you just don't give a . Have fun dying and not getting rezzes by a cleric, i guess
    XP rates like agnarr - wouldn't entice people to stay, because the aformentioned 2 month unlocks would guarantee a population decline.
    No name change potions - You seem salty.
  14. Kodachi Augur

I don't think its physically possible to play eq without at least one "box" since each "box" is a computer. So you'd need at least 1 to do it.
  15. Nolrog Augur

You don't seem to understand how Krono work.
  16. Moranis Augur

As others have said, kronos are not currently tied to servers in any way. I can go onto my account, log into Drinal, pop a krono, and then go play on any server.

The only way this would work is to essentially have a "new" type of krono, Krono-B, and only that Krono-B can re-up the sub for that specific server. Additionally, regular kronos would be no-trade on this server.

It would certainly solve the problem of truly getting everyone to 0 at start, but likely a coding nightmare - not to mention a massively slippery slope. Whats to stop the next server from using another type of Krono, Krono-C, and so on...

I appreciate the desire to eliminate / limit RMT from the a new server, but the odds of DPG doing something like this are likely 0.
  17. Machen New Member

It's also a marketing nightmare. For years they've sold krono that give all-access to all their servers. Now suddenly they'd have to retroactively add an asterisk and fine print--all servers that currently exist, but bets are off for new servers. Who's going to want to buy krono if you know their value may decrease or even be eliminated in the future? (Posit a scenario, far-fetched but possible, where all the data changes allow them to do server merges, and maybe they merge existing servers into new, krono-b only servers, thus rendering all current krono obsolete.)
    Moranis and Shanarias like this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Please don't. ;)
    Hdizzle likes this.
  19. feigntrain Elder

There's plenty of other servers for them to play on.
  20. mark Augur

Dont forget that if you use a phone on the second pc etc,it will give a different ip adress,i used to live in the country and the only internet i had access to was my mobile phone.