Guilds - How large is too large?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Knighted, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What type of server are we talking about?

Live server
    Old TLP server
    New TLP server.

Dynamics are different especially betwee the first two compared to the third one.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Obviously the only solution is to force merge guilds until all guilds have an equal number of people. Then remove the guild remove function.
    Daedly likes this.
  3. svann Augur

If you really want to use that analogy this would be like telling people they may not go to Walmart because Walmart already has their limit of customers.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Shanarias like this.
  4. Arwyn-RoV Augur

In a social game, one cannot have too many friends or people to play with.
  5. Grove Augur

Yes, the mom and pop stores closed. Then in some cases the Walmart fled. What then: the citizens lack convenient source of products they need and the local government is short on taxes.
  6. svann Augur

And then new small business opened up.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Most important thing to remember is THIS IS A GAME. It is not the livelihood of folks being forced out of business by Walmart. Figured this has to be said because I am not sure some folks get that. And large guilds are not paying minimum wages and folks can leave a large guild without worrying about how they will pay rent. Why? Because guilds do not help provide the necessities of life. Join the newplayer guild if you need a guild portal. Walmart analogy was so silly.

The funny thing is you can look at things many ways not just the OPs.

For instance I keep an eye out the the occasional actual new person and for returning players and anyone looking for a guild.

First I figure the better experience new and returning players have the more likely they will become engaged and stick with the game. Some get their sea legs and then look for raid guilds to join or sometimes they make friends with folks in another guild and join them.

The second reason is the better the guild numbers the better opportunities for those in the guild to get to know folks and to get groups and make friends. It is REALLY hard on Live servers to have enough low level players (under levle 85) to provide reasonable changes for groups. The guild I run is large but I still am up front with low levels who ask about joining and tell them that grouping is hard at the low level game.

And I realize I run a large casual guild so maybe it isn't a surprise I wish there were a few large casual guilds instead of all kinds of tiny ones. I do respect guilds that want to stay just with RL friends, or those who want single player guilds or guilds that were once larger and now are just the last few loyal holdouts. BUT with all that I still feel larger guilds provide more people interaction and help keep folks playing the game

As far as casual guilds go, small guilds, large guilds you just suggest folks unguilded folks try one toon in your guild to see if they like it. If they don't then they don't. You just cannot force folks to be in your guild if they don't want to be.

Removing choice for folks is surely not the answer.
  8. Funky Augur

you still skipped my ?. lol don't leave me hanging
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Sorry missed this post.

Total roster atm including inactives 5671 atm. Always tell folks to turn off show offline and change display amount to 500. For some reason display amount can lag you when zoning.

Actual online numbers are 80 to 110 or so during prime time including boxes so not as impressive as that number was 10 years ago *sighs*

I only quote online numbers because we have so many inactives. Occasionally a guildie tells folks in general chat we have over 5k members and I sort of cringe and have to explain that includes a lot of inactives.

Ever so often someone logs in from years ago and are so happy they are still in the guild. Makes the lag worth it.... well for me at least :)
  10. Cadira Augur

11. Tucoh Augur

Large guilds are great, give it a try.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Belexes ForumQuester

There is unrest in the forest...
    Celephane likes this.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Figures a "new" account would post some garbage like this..

Should just man up.. an use your actual in game name..

And as far as the whole guilds can be too large.

Only people who thonk that are those whom cant make it into the actaul good guilds..
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I didn't read most of the replies, so maybe someone touched on this already. Let's just say you got exactly what you are asking for. Guild size is now capped at 1k for all guilds. What will be the effect here? There's a large guild on your server with 1k members. Someone has a friend that wants to join the guild, but they're capped. Rather than just turn this active, eager to join player away, the guild leadership will just sort through their roster and find some alt that hasn't logged in for 6 months+ to kick. Your 1k member cap has accomplished absolutely nothing except potentialy alienating this alt if he ever returns. Hooray?
  15. Warpeace Augur

Not sure how this would solve the OP's perceived problem. Sounds like a recruitment, guild reputation problem.
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

1. No guild size is to big.
    2. Raids are capped at 54 people.
    3. You don't have to be in a guild to raid.
    if you can make a guild with 10000 people and they don't want to leave go for it. Most raiding guilds only have around 60-65 raiders and alot of friends non-raiders in the guild. If you have 100 people in a raiding guild who want to raid it won't last long or they are forming 2 raids to clear in 2 different groups. Noone wants to sit that much but if they do it is their choice.
  17. Knighted Journeyman

The suggestion was 2k. Large guilds will have to be more selective and offer more than just, "We have 100 characters on right now" to potential invites. No one is stopping a guild from making room for friends. If they don't, those players would be much more able to find another viable guild because more players would be in other active guilds.

If you are suggesting that there are over 2000 active characters in many guilds, that just isn't correct. Most guilds have nowhere near that number. Small guilds will grow if they are well run. Medium guilds will have gains as well. A hard cap is positive for everyone but the uber guilds that dominate servers, as it would help the vast majority of guilds.
  18. Knighted Journeyman

I have talked to guild leaders and recruiters from several small and medium size guilds. It certainly is a recruitment problem for all of them ... not because they are not fun guild but because they not only cannot say, "Hey we have 30 players and 100 characters on now," but they also lose the players they do have to the uber guilds from poaching when they inevitably group with their players and talk about the 100 characters on.

A large guild should be better because they are better - not just because they are bigger.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You lost my attention after your second paragraph, OP.

Then I LOL'd.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

To your first point. Do you know why having a large guild attracts folks? They want to be in a large guild. I don't get why you think you should be able to force players to be in small guilds by capping large guilds.

And to your second point. You say no large guild will have more then 2k active members or even close to it. So then what is the point of your cap at all then? No point except you want large guilds to disband inactive folks. From your own words it would do nothing to help you so it sounds like spite and nothing but spite.

If any guild is actually recruiting based on their inactive numbers that would be insane and easy for someone to see who joins such a guild. So your cap makes no sense whatsoever. None.

This all comes down to sour grapes. Successful guilds should be penalized because you have a small guild and are having problems recruiting members.

And again I am asking you are you talking about an old TLP server, a Live server or a new TLP server? Trying to figure out where you are coming from.
    Xyroff-cazic., Elyssanda and svann like this.