The obvious xp problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran 99, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

And also my cleric box that doesn't even own TBL and can't zone into TBL can zone into GMM as well so it isn't even flagged as TBL.
  2. Tappin Augur

Devs want you in the new expansion, not the old. It follows that old content cannot be a transition to new content after launch.
  3. ShadowMan Augur

GMM was the "transitional" zone for TBL. You lobbied it was to easy and got it nerfed.

TBD anniversary content this year, possibly a new zone that could have been the "transitional" you now desire again. Likely it will end up being equal to ToV because they won't want to make the same "mistakes" you pointed out last year.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

GMM is an Anniversary zone not an Expansion zone. Even if it is considered TBL it can still be a Transition Zone, it doesn't have to release with the new expansion to serve it's purpose. It drops better gear than all of the TBL zones/TS armor and it was a good spot for returning players/casuals to lvl up and get caught back up. It probably still is the best place to get caught up, just not as good as it use to be.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  5. Tappin Augur

GMM is essentially part of TBL, but history has shown that releasing anniversary content requiring current expansion didn’t sit well with the players. When I talk about a transitional zone I’m not asking for easy content that allows groups to kill 30 mobs at once. My only suggestion is move the mob level slider more towards 113 and review some of mob immunities and high resist rates.
  6. Tappin Augur

Moving to a new expansion shouldn’t fell like going back to kindergarten.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

I have been doing slow/steady ToV plodding for alts after I got done my main.

Partisan missions seem to drop decent xp for all participants (20 aa's for some of them).
    I've been running 20 normal, 80 aa for a bit, and xp is still moving upwards even with raid tank deaths.

i'm not doing anything special other than some random kills/missions (random slow paced kill when alone, some partisans when the wife is on for her checkmarks that amount to decent xp to me)
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Once I got to 115 and then added a few aa's, it got far easier. It feels like about 400 points of aa's helped me more than 5 levels.
    Daedly and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. Sappas Journeyman

Yeah, I was wearing gmm gear when I hit tov.
    Yeah, I think that is the gist of the thread. That this new method pretty much limits your options. At least it does if you are a sane person.
    I just know there is something broken when every time I group with a lvl 110 or below person I have to warn them NOT to grab any of the missions. That doing the missions at their level will hinder them BIG time later. That they will hit 111 and then be stuck in a very very very long grind if they have already done all the missions. Btw, I also have to warn them NOT to do collections in not just tov but also some of the prior expansions... since those are worth 2 percent a set. Heck, I'm already setting aside collection items for the next expansion just in case they do this again. Something wrong in a game where holding off on doing missions/achievements benefits you more.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Nothing is wrong with waiting for your toon to be ready for the expansion before doing missions/ achievements. That is the way it is supposed to fall sorta like dominoes, one right after the other. It's hard to take a player who complains about lack of content serious when all they did was just get themselves PL to the latest expansion while skipping everything else en route.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The problem being if those players wait they will have a hard time finding groups when they eventually get to ToV.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Doing the Missions below 110 doesn't really make a difference, they'll be doing the same amount of grinding either way. The Achievement XP is a fixed amount, getting it at say 109 vs 110 just means they'll only get to like 112 instead of 113. So it comes down to do they want to spend time grinding in the lower lvls or the higher lvls. The collections on the other hand are definitely worth saving till 115 though since they give a flat 2% of whatever lvl they are claimed at.
  13. Sappas Journeyman

I did these missions with a 109 back in January and the amount of exp they said they got was very similar to what I had gotten at 111. If you are correct then maybe I misremembered how much I got or maybe they calculated their exp difference wrong.
  14. DillyBar Augur

What xp problem? Thanks to Overseer, I have 115 maxed out.
  15. enclee Augur

There are two core issues with ToV experience design:

1). Achievements are mostly around tasks that require groups. As, we see with every expansion the player base moves beyond these tasks after completion. This makes grouping difficult, but the missions are easy and quick enough to still find groups.

2). It leads the main gameplay loop to feel unrewarding. It doesn’t make people feel accomplished to knock out 2-3% experience during a lesson burn. AA experience rate is fine, I’m only referring to normal experience rates.
  16. UncleUms Journeyman

OK, lets be honest. NOT the easiest xpac to level up in, but still nothing like the olden days, that is for sure!
  17. Zunnoab Augur

Careful, they might hear Overseer is actually useful for something... :confused:

Overseer does mitigate the problem. If not for it, I'd have a serious issue with it, especially for tanks without high play time to offset deaths. I'm serious though, if they ruin that part of Overseer too, I don't know what they are thinking. It's like if anything is marginally useful at all it's removed or nerfed insanely. (Hello literally 5-10x reuse to Dissonant Chord nerf, etc.)

To be honest, the collection changes I have no opinion on. But it certainly feels like "is useful" translates to "is overpowered" sometimes.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It is my opinion that the lack of comments from Darkpaw about the poor xp in ToV were because they knew Overseer was coming and that it would become the primary xp driver.

I do not agree with that decision. A mini game should not be the primary way to get xp.
  19. Zunnoab Augur

Well the primary way to get experience is doing the progression and getting the achievements. I do like that part of it. Overseer would only be the main way to get experience if only using it for several months and not doing other stuff, I think?
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I meant after you get the achievements, as you can only do them once.