The obvious xp problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran 99, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Tappin Augur

What otherwise would be a great expansion, was ultimately ruined by this experience system.
    YellowBelly, Aenvar and Annastasya like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problem is maintaining 115 once you have completed all the tasks. Many of the quests don't give exp, so repeating them is a waste of time.

If you have collects done also, you have very little choice but to do the slow grinding.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Retroactively changing the amount of xp given by finishing older collections felt like a slap in the face for those of us who did them specifically for the TBL evolving item.
    Elsewhen likes this.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

And that's why I advocate to find more paths to make EQ rewarding. Grinding is a part of the game, so is TS and raiding. Do a variety of things, it makes EQ more fun. At least that's my experience.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. YellowBelly Augur

This completely changes EQ from a sandbox mmo into a theme park style mmo. I remember stopping my play through of Rift back when EQ was shut down for a few months back in 2011 or 12 after seeing how linear it was. Looks to me like EQ died around the same time Brad did. Shame.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You get 15% in or so. You switch to AA, finish that and change it back. Before long, you're 100% into 115. This is really all to do about nothing.
    Daedly likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't believe anyone is saying they are refusing to do the tasks so you may be exaggerating a bit. I think the issue is people always getting groups for the tasks and more so for the missions. They can spend a lot of time just getting the groups for it. And not making this raiders versus casuals but raiders can get by with smaller groups and still get all progression done. Not so much with group players.

And while I think the difficulty levels of the missions are fine as they are I see a lot of casual groups fail at them and some folks may need to get to 115 to complete them and that is made much harder with the very slow grind exp. I know because I finally got 115 on my boxes yesterday doing all tasks except the group missions (couldn't box them) and after tasks grinding most days 8 and a half hours using 2 x 25% potions 4 hrs each and 1 lessons half an hour. Had to take some breaks because I was just getting sick of it. I still have tons of stuff to keep me busy though. Lot of armor to camp, aa and exp to grind as my boxes are JUST into 115. Thing is I am retired. I was able to spend more time playing then usual.

If you are lucky to be in a large casual guild you will get some help on missions or at least get TAs. I run a guild so I don't ask for help and definitely not for my boxes. I give help. But for those who need it if you aren't in a large casual guild or raid guild things are going to be much harder. I think a lot of us are used to being in large guilds and forget there are tons of small guilds or single player guilds. And yes I guess we can berate them all for not joining large guilds but allowing folks a decent return on grinding seems to be an easy way to keep these folks happy to.
    Nolanite likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't think it was ruined but I would agree it was made less good.
    Shanarias likes this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Oh, there are a couple people refusing to do them.

As for the rest of what you said, the game should not be designed around the least effective players. The partisan and merc tasks are easy enough that anyone can do them, even the least effective players. The only missions that present much of challenge for the *AVERAGE* player is Velks and Kael. Not talking about boxing the missions, talking about a real group. This isn't about the players that plow through things, this is the average players, they can do it all. I've seen them do it all in our guild without any raider help over and over.

If the game starts being designed around the least effective players in the game, the game will start to suck. Badly. It won't be remotely fun for most people, not the high end players nor the average players. Even the low end players will start getting bored.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Who is refusing to do even the merc tasks? I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone in the discussion thread saying they refuse to do any. Saw a lot of don't like to and shouldn't have to though.

I think where we "might" disagree is where the line is drawn at least effective players. But otherwise I agree with you but it is also true the game can't be designed around the most effective players. And I am not sure the most effective players are the ones best suited to know what is best for the general game populace. We might be at the same spot in what we consider effective because I see my guild members in real groups getting the missions done. I don't think mission difficulty needs to be touched. BUT for those who can't do them a reasonable grind alternative should exist. I have done the grind but I don't think it is reasonable compared to past expansions.

My main goal is to see the game try to encompass as many players as possible so the game keeps going. That is pretty much it. EQ has to be big tent as we aren't getting many new players. Although I still see a couple now and then who are actually new to the game it is in very small numbers and I scoop those folks up as fast as I see them I figure if they have a positive experience early on they are more likely to stick around.

The issue is where you, I but mainly the devs see the best point to draw the lines as to what skill levels can progress through the game and how much work it takes.

And the other thing I constantly like to remind folks is that we are all getting older. I am getting close to 60 so I get where some of the older players are at now. I know I was definitely more "effective" even back six or seven years ago.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I've seen quite a few demanding XP be better, so they can sit in old zones. I'm not going to wade through the 20 posts to find them though.

Nope, it shouldn't be. And it isn't... As I said, anyone can do the Merc/Partisan tasks. Anyone can do Griklor and GD missions. They're extremely easy. Kael and Velks are a little more challenging but are still very doable.
  12. Sappas Journeyman

I can only imagine what it is like for a newer person who isn't 110 yet. Right now they can't even really get into many TOV groups since those groups are mostly doing progression. And the last thing anyone below 111 should do imo is TOV progression. At least not to the point of completing any accomplishments. Heck, they shouldn't even be doing collections... not even collections is recent past expansions. They need all of that in order to push through 111 to 115 in a reasonable time.
    People still need to grind out AA though so hopefully they will get into a few of those groups.
  13. Cidran Augur

Let everyone choose their own path and have fun playing their way… Why force all kinds of players into one route? It just does more bad than good.

If some enjoy grinding in old zones let them, agreed it should take more time but at least it should be viable.
    Shanarias likes this.
  14. Laronk Augur

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the conversation Tappin felt the exp was fine he just doesn't like the option of quest exp
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have only seen quite a few asking for better exp IN tov. Are we using different forums? I have been pretty active in the thread and it seems to be all about grinding exp in ToV. In fact I think Riou keeps bringing up how exp is better in an old expansion zone. And the rest of us keep saying we would like a better grind experience in ToV.

And no I do see some folks struggle with the missions but as I also see some doing them well enough I think its a decent difficulty level atm. Not everyone is getting them done no matter how easy you think they are.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Think of someone trying to gear up in TBL to be able to handle ToV. TBL wasn't the easiest expansion and people are going to have to mostly solo it... then by the time they get to ToV there won't be much in the way of groups. Two expansions in a row that have their own built in problems for people catching up. Crazy stuff :)
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Hmmm I don't think so but then again I don't base my opinions on what Tappin says. :)
  18. svann Augur

XP is only bad if youre the type that wants to grind to max before you do the content.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No one should be trying to gear up in ToV, they should be gearing up in GMM and then moving on to EW.
  20. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I dunno why, but I get the same amount of normal xp per kill (0.04) with 90% set to AA as I do with 100% to normal at 115. I was wondering why I hit max xp so fast with only 10% set to normal the whole time.

If this is intended then there's no reason not to set AA to 90% once you hit 115.