Raid/ Group quest Emotes: for Devs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Tutankamen Augur

I'm writing to request the devs to please build in-game support for making emotes in raids/ group missions easier to see and keep track of. There have been several 3rd party applications to track emotes, the most popular being GINA. This shouldn't be necessary in my opinion, the difficulty in the raid should be negotiating the mechanics with your guild and coming up with strategies to defeat it , not being able to SEE the emotes.

It can't be that hard to create a way to track these emotes can it? similar to how progress in quests are tracked, in it's own window. Even for groups, doing quests like the recent TBL one where you have to kneel- its almost impossible to even see these emotes, and changing colors (which is what was recommended) only goes so far- even changing it to dark brown, red, these emotes don't stay on the screen long enough, and even when they are on the screen, are almost impossible to see. If you're in the middle of healing/ rezzing or something else, you aren't necessarily staring at that exact spot for the .5 seconds it's there. Please weigh in on this DB, this is a long time in coming.
  2. Duder Augur

It already exists.

Make a new chat window. Filter just Event Messages to it. (There are some raids and event messages/emotes that get filtered onto the "Other" filter so it is good to have that separated from spam as well.
    svann and Cadira like this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Why is it a big deal to use Gina? It uses very little resources, and is extremely useful.

I'd MUCH rather the devs put their time into the actual game, than reinvent the wheel.
  4. Tutankamen Augur

Gina is a 3rd party application that has system access to your computer, it's a big deal. If you're comfortable with it that's OK for you, but it shouldn't be necessary due to the way these kinds of things have been implemented in-game. If you even have to use a 3rd party application b/c the in-game solution isn't working well enough, something is wrong.
    Annastasya likes this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Wut? Gina doesn't run as Administrator unless YOU run it as administrator. It most certainly does not have system access to your machine.

And... plenty of people have zero issue watching the screen for the in game emotes already. They're there already.
    Waring_McMarrin and Skuz like this.
  6. Duder Augur

Note my previous post. Multiple tools/methods already exist.

You can make ingame audio triggers if you don't like GINA. You don't even need to have your log on for them to function. You can attach custom sound files to those audio triggers if you like. But even a simple audio trigger with a noise to alert you.
  7. Tutankamen Augur

It does have access to your files- how do you think it reads your logs? Do you think that it needs to limit itself to EQ files? Anyways like I said, if you're comfortable with it, I think that's ok. I shouldn't HAVE to be is my point. It should be handled well enough in game that I don't need to use it- and it's not. And that's why everyone uses it. That's my whole point.
  8. Celephane Augur

It's ok bro, the paranoids are after me too
    Skuz, Dibab and Duder like this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Why are you playing EQ then? It has that access too! Oh my.

And like I said, the emotes are already in game. Just because you can't keep up, doesn't mean they need to add Gina level functionality to the game just because of your paranoia level is ridiculous.
    Maedhros, Tatanka, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The in game stuff works just fine. Lots of people use it.
    Jumbur, Skuz and Dibab like this.
  11. Duder Augur

How am I trolling? I informed you of the in game tools that exist already. Both of those suggestions are real and are the methods I use as well as GINA. However, I don't always use gina and in those cases I am able to refer to the event messages window and rely on the in game audio triggers I have made. I also have multiple friends that don't use GINA and only rely on the event messages window they have made and self made ingame triggers. These people also never miss emotes.

If being informative is trolling then gee, you make it real easy for people to try and help you.
    Skuz and Dibab like this.
  12. Febb Augur

The devs need to be creating content. If they can get us enough content then I would be more than happy to have them work on a million other things we need in game before we get GINA functionality in game. Let the free market programmers out there take care of things outside the game via 3rd party tools so we can get that kind of functionality. We don't need EQ devs wasting valuable time on this.
    Skuz, Smokezz and Duder like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Set up a seperate window and have system emotes and event emotes go into that window. There are a few odd emotes which don't go in there like the flame emote from Plane of Fire.

I have been raiding now for 19 years and I've never had to use anything outside of the ingame tools. EQ Audio Triggers do the job perfectly fine and are actually faster at triggering than GINA.

I have a few custom triggers that I've added, but I need to keep myself amused, so who doesn't want Captain Jack Sparrow, Daffy Duck & Doctor Who say things to remind you not to nuke or runaway, etc
    Jumbur, Skuz, Creative Sparks and 2 others like this.
  14. Duder Augur

Good advice. But the OP will just think you're trolling because you have offered sound advice.
    Bigstomp, Skuz, Dibab and 1 other person like this.
  15. Allayna Augur

Agreed. But we as the EQ veteran community need to stop making excuses for the developers. They are paid to produce. TOV released a new ice shader..../yawn. But it released 4 of the exact same zones and took a 5th zone and split it in 2. It wasn’t new. We aren’t TLP, you can’t spoon feed us the same content 3 times and not expect us to call foul.

Nothing new and exciting came from this expansion. Sure they did some combining of AAs, (they said they had to because they were reaching an AA cap). And we got our expected upgrades to spells/discs. There were a few quality of life things added, like heal target target function of hybrids (why stop there?)...

The OP asked about a quality of life change and to not have to use 3rd party software. Seems like allowing a setting for the on screen trigger to last longer wouldn’t be asking too much. And as some have pointed out, not EVERY on screen trigger goes to the events/other filter.

Develop new content. Then make all the excuses in the world for why the developers don’t have time to fix things in game like:

The raid tool and all its glorious bugs (phantom player - only class listed at bottom, among others)
    Poofing corpses in instances leading to missing collections
    QuickTime causing spell bar lockups
    Laaaaaaag (certain raid instances are far laggier than others - Mearatas, GMM)

Until then, you all make it far too easy for a gaming industry to continue to take your money and produce the same content year after year.

Accountability goes a long way in today’s business.
    Creative Sparks and Yinla like this.
  16. Tutankamen Augur

Yeah your post was reasonable , it wasn't a troll post. I honestly didn't even see your comment- I only saw that you had liked his comment and recalled that you had flamed a lot of my posts in the past. I appreciate the helpful advice actually. thanks!

Duder likes this.
  17. OldTimer Journeyman

@ Tutankamen ,,, You been watching to much of the scary TV. Now you are paranoid that The Bad Men are out to get you. There is Nothing on your Personal computer that anyone really wants.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Speak for yourself; I do work for attorneys with required confidentiality.
  19. Allayna Augur

Just had my CC info stolen last month for the first time ever - 17 year credit history and the only two out of country transactions - is boxer and magelo. There's merit to not wanting to use 3rd party software to do things the game itself should support (better).
    Petalonyx likes this.
  20. enclee Augur

It’s good to see someone post something like this, but you need to act on your own words. Your entire guild preorders and beta tests the content. Why not hold the devs accountable by not buying the annual expansion release? It’d be a lot more effective than a random assortment of folks like myself not preordering.