EQ Leveling Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Gumdrops, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Gumdrops New Member

With the level cap set at 115, we frequently see that there are no groups to be found until you get near the max level.

I'm wondering if it would create a bigger sense of community and improve the social aspect of the game if Daybreak/Dark Paw were to lower the level cap and squish the content to be accessed by lower level players.

I know I get discouraged when I try to find groups and there are none. I believe this would likely cause more people to stick around the game longer. I mean why play an MMO if there's no one to play with?

Thoughts?
  2. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Other games have performed a level "crunch" where everyone is sort of starting over (or at a lower max point), but you need a larger development team to handle that. EQ has a very small Dev team, so this is very unlikely to happen. EQ is also an older, more complex game, which makes the task even harder. Games like WoW have a talent tree which can be wiped clean and started from scratch for each class based on that level crunch, but EQ has AAs, and trying to shrink all of the AAs at once time into lower levels really complicates things. The entire game would need to be retuned for difficulty. I like the idea, but I don't think this will ever happen.
  3. Buri Augur

Well, in this game you can't really go back and lower the level cap, that cat's already out of the bag. For one thing, the vast majority of their income is from end-game subscribers who've been playing for 20 years, so they're not gonna risk pissing off those people to accommodate the lower level players.

That's more or less what Star Wars Galaxies did when they came out with the NGE, and it killed that game, literally.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

5. Fluid Augur

If you are playing on a live, non tlp server, try boxing as a band-aid to get past the low levels. The sad news is w/o a guild, even at high levels you will have trouble grouping.

Since someone has recommended tlp servers, I would second that if you don't mind subscribing. In the absence of subscribing I would personally recommend Firiona Vie server. Understand you will still have trouble getting to higher levels because of limits on the levels of skills<AAs> you can develop. This is by design of course to more or less force you to subscribe at ~level 85 to have a viable character.

Even on Firiona Vie, you will probably not get a guild to let you join below level 20. There is<was?> a problem with people starting the game, leeching equipment and time off of guild, then deciding they don't like the game and quitting. There is also usually a guild participation level required i.e. you must show up ~3 times a week to guild events and maybe 12 hours a week of play. It varies per guild of course. The level 20 should not be that hard to attain, maybe a weekend of solo play.
  6. Laronk Augur

What level are you, what server are you on?
  7. Gumdrops New Member

Right now my highest character is 55 on Bristlebane. I'm in a guild and I don't really have that much trouble finding a group among my guild mates. My suggestion was more so to make the world feel more populated for people who are new/have never played EQ before. A lot of people will login, see that there's no one around (except for high level content) and then quit cause they don't have anyone to play with.