Does Old content get nerfed?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Red--Liner, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Red--Liner New Member

Just asking.
    Does old content XP and task/mission reward XP get nerfed?
    Is the logic behind it to "force" players into new content?

Although I understand the theory, in reality it doesn't happen.

Nerfing old content merely means casual players spend even longer in old content trying to level up.

Of course, if old content isn't nerfed then it's irrelevant.

Just asking
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A bunch of tasks were made more difficult, some missions were adjusted so that the creatures in them were at a new higher level of difficulty - a really contentious move in my opinion, the new expansion comes out & they make the old instances rougher - what the hell is up with that, at the very least the flawed logic is questionable, at worst it is straight up screwing players over.

The way that xp earned can be reduced is by the next set of levels requiring a great deal more xp, so that's why the mob kill may appear to offer a smaller amount of XP once you go up in levels as it will as a portion of the required amount to level be a smaller percentage.

That said, some have directly observed tasks which prior to the most recent patch gave 14 aa now only giving 7 aa (Franklin Teek task) and Beast Domain zone appears to have a problem with the XP there having been reduced a lot without players having increased in level.

Something is up but those issues have been reported in the Bug Forum, if you have an observation to add I would check out those threads to see if they match up to what you are seeing.

The movement away from xp from kills & much more heavily loading xp into progression tasks that the game has been doing is I think a bad move but that's where the game's developers have been taking the game & I strongly disagree with that direction - flexibility is good, linearity is bad & reducing the enjoyable options to xp is a pretty retrograde step in my view, regardless of the issues with botters; hurting casuals to try & sort out a deficiency of enforcement is a bad move in my view.
  3. Riou EQResource

EXP per mob sometimes gets nerfed, and it is based on Level, there is (still?) a bug where the puller bypasses the EXP reduction, in TBL it was on basically everything up to some EoK zones if you were max level (like frontier mountains was one zone with it on)

This system was put in with TDS I believe to nerf RoF exp as you gained levels

Dunno if it is automatic or not, and if so how it picks (zones do have level ranges from the zone guide it could be based on those set values relative to your level)

Basically if you notice your puller gaining about 1.5x times the exp of the rest of the group, then that zone has this in effect (due to the puller bug bypassing the exp reduction)
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Speaking of puller xp, it gets really tired to not get any xp because you are too far away from the kill, out pulling the next mob.

There is zero reason I can think of why anyone on the aggro list in the group should not get xp, regardless of how far away they are.
    Duder and Vumad like this.
  5. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

With many of the ToV zones having a fast respawn (7.5 minutes in many cases), I don't see how this is still an issue.
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

It is an issue I have had it happen more than once while pulling for a group in ToV and getting missed on exp while in kael. I generally try to time pulling or reduce the pull speed to avoid it (well at this point I have no need for exp so I don't care).
  7. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

*shrug* My main was a bard for many years, which included pulling for countless groups and raids. I rarely missed exp because I was usually on the way back with another mob when the one the group had died. It's not hard to time it.

I know the OP said the alternative wasn't at risk of being exploited, but I disagree. If exp gain was zone-wide, I would personally PL toons while they sat away from the danger at a succor point or something. There are other interesting situations one could derive, too.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is a game wide issue for decades that needs to be fixed on all servers at all levels and expansions.

As for, "timing it", to be back in time, yes, I always try to do that but it can be a problem at times, especially in large zones with small mob populations, or when splitting mobs. A bard has some advantages that not all classes have, like faster movement speed and fade on command, among others.
  9. aozs Augur

Wow, what a bug. No wonder my tank/puller was getting so much more exp in Droga than the rest of the group. Can confirm that it was still there as of ~2 weeks ago.
    Riou likes this.
  10. Galliana Elder

No it just gets neglected. There are unfixed bugs as far back as PoP that are never going to be addressed. That's part for the course. The only expansion that matters to management is the current one.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Its not a bug. Its intended.

They don't want people sitting in one spot of the zone in a safe spot while you go stormtrooper the mobs elsewhere and PL them.

Used to get exp no matter where in zone you were, this was put in place on purpose.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

That's why I said you had to be on the aggro list if you are far away. Thus, anyone in a "safe spot" would not get xp, while the puller would.

They just need to add code to the "if too far away, no xp" to make it "if too far away and not on aggro list, no xp".
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Naturalist Lorekeeper

Sometimes though, they put resources into going back 17 years to nerf weapons in Temple of Veeshan, as well as weapon ornaments that had a trivial proc usable at level 1.

So yes, they will out of their way to go back and destroy "Fun" for no real reason. (change my mind that these weapons were even mildly game breaking that they deserved to be nerfed)

So it's pretty easy to believe they would nerf XP.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Is this a reference to the weapon ornaments that used to turn any old rusty weapon into a magic weapon on a fresh classic TLP server? If so then yes that certainly was a deserved nerf. If you're referring to something else though just ignore me.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Heroic adventures were designed from the beginning to scale with player level and did do automatically. They didn't go back and change them. This was done to make them still worthwhile to do at higher levels. The problem is that while the XP scaled with levels, the gear/currency drops did not, so only a third of the reward was actually scaled. You could get still good XP from a Gribble mission at higher levels, but it still only dropped L100 gear and currency and the mobs were now higher levels that required you to have higher level gear.
  16. svann Augur

Oh please. Its trivial to do that as is. Just sit 10 yards back and achieve the same thing. Your argument is specious. There is no good reason to cut the puller out of experience, especially considering that he was on the agro list unlike your power leveling strategy.

If you are really worried about power leveling strategies then just cut out xp for players that didnt do anything.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But they have been changed since, something which I personally don't agree with, not without updating the rewards. EOK and before HAs should not be made harder than they were at release.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-december-18-2019.261510/
    Skuz and Daedly like this.