Next TLP: PvP (a potential solution to rampant issues)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Phinius Elder

I know, it's a scary acronym for many of you. But hang on a second and listen up.

There's a significant amount of frustration in the community concerning certain in game tactics that have been ruining the game experience for many players. It's grown worse as time has passed like a massive yet strangely inoperable tumor covering literally half of your face.

So, I offer you this solution if Darkpaw Games is unable to commit resources to begin removing this tumor. Player versus Player combat, my friends. Let the PLAYERS take matters into their own hands. These gods of EverQuest that are able to sustain long play sessions without sleep will surely be put to the test when players are able to take what the want by simply killing their no life enemies and denying them this endless stream of experience, resources, and riches.

PvP is not so scary my little care bear buddies. It enriches the community by building real friendships and mortal enemies. It adds another layer to the game that you may not have experienced yet, and can be used to curb bad behavior in a game that came off the rails a few TLPs ago, and is in desperate need of change.

There are many other potential solutions that could possibly shrink this issue, but let us seriously consider PvP as a viable low effort solution to an otherwise out of control situation.
  2. jeskola pheerie

Are you currently playing actively on Zek? That is the measuring stick the Devs are using to gauge pvp tlp interest. If you are not, you better get over there!

[IMG]
    Skuz, LeftClyde, Raptorjesus5 and 3 others like this.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

Sure, make a server like this and it'll just be empty after a few months... so ya.. of course there won't be issues like on other servers.

I hope they open one just to put an end to these threads. However, I do hope they make it share Brekt's hardware. Would be a shame to waste any real resources on it. (and Brekt is as empty as I expect this server will be shortly after launch.)

Also, if your trying to convince people who dislike EQ pvp that they should do it, calling them carebears isn't really going to sway anyone to your side.
    Moege and LeftClyde like this.
  4. Phinius Elder

Faulty logic, no one actually wants to play EQ Live period. I did come from the Zek chain of servers though, yes.
    Dulu, WaitingforMoreEQ and Xanathol like this.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Na, more like this:
    [IMG]
    (oh noes, someone might recognize me. :D )
  6. Phinius Elder

Massive balls Zanny, I like it. You seem like a PvP kinda guy. See you on the new TLP PVP server where we will kill players that fell asleep at their keyboard together.
  7. Machen New Member

Doesn't matter whether their logic is faulty or not, they have set the bar. Either meet it or don't, but don't complain when you ignore their criteria for getting what you want, and then don't get what you want as a result.
  8. Phinius Elder

Yo Machen, how many boxes you run simultaneously while asleep at the keyboard?
    WaitingforMoreEQ and Lowlife like this.
  9. Machen New Member

None.
  10. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Being told to play live PVP servers or live EQ in general to a player who, like many, are only here for the TLP's and will probably never return to modern EQ doesn't seem like a good way to gauge interest in a TLP server ruleset.

That'd be like to devs telling me I need to roll up a new toon and level it to level 200 or whatever live is on before they'll make a TLP server for us to play old content on.
    Dulu, WaitingforMoreEQ and Phinius like this.
  11. Phinius Elder

This is a safe space Machen. It's PvE, no one can hurt you here.
    Dulu and WaitingforMoreEQ like this.
  12. Torg New Member

Dude, you are missing one huge problem. You and your group are exping at a camp and a guy rolls up with his 30 boxes and wipes you out. How is that a good thing? Sure he can't train you without getting banned, but he can easily devote 10-15 boxes to wiping you out over and over. It would probably stop the afk farming, which is good. But it would open up a new world of griefing. Also, it turns things into might makes right. Try doing anything if the top guild wants to do it. You are going to do open world? Sorry but the top guild kills your clerics.
  13. Machen New Member

I don't disagree, but whether it makes sense or not, that's exactly what the devs have done.
    Stagentti and Phinius like this.
  14. Machen New Member

You should be thankful for that, you'd be ragelogging in short order if you ever met me on a pvp server.
    Phinius likes this.
  15. Phinius Elder

A fair possibility. New types of griefing will be introduced to the game for sure, I think it is the lesser of two evils, though. I do however think a group of real players stands a chance against situations like you are describing, and if you did lose the initial fight, I think it would be very easy to heavily disrupt anything that player wants to do in the zone should you choose to do so.

As far as guild v guild issues, sure. I think those battles will make the server more fun, but, let's be real, everything will be AoC'd anyway so real that used to happen on the old Zek servers won't actually be repeated on a new TLP.
  16. Phinius Elder

That's the spirit. The PvP juice is flowing in us all!
  17. code-zero Augur

You are quite wrong about what automated characters much less 30 plus crews will do to you in PvP. If you doubt this then I would encourage you to go play Zek for a while and experience it for yourself
  18. yerm Augur

Back before combine and sleeper, and for a good stretch again before fippy, there were people doing "progression" style play on live servers. Self limiting gear and levels for example. Both foh forumgoers and former stromm roi, which ended up as combines top 2 guilds, had folks do this. Further, there were and still are people on live servers who obsessively blast old raid content with high levels for kicks. No character advancement, just for kicks or ocd or nostalgia.

It is NOT unreasonable for the everquest team to look at zek and see no signs of interest and conclude there is a lack of interest. Red guides are the only effort I have seen presenting actual evidence that tlp could be successful. If you want a pvp progression server but you don't eq pvp, you don't even try going red on existing tlps or setting up a self limiting group on zek etc, why should they believe you?
  19. Thewiz Augur

There will never be a PVP TLP server. The end.
    Nolrog likes this.
  20. Zanarnar Augur

Its more of an offer... then a request. Plus I'm clearly male so... logistics issues there :p

edit: how's this, better?
    [IMG]