Tank Mercenaries

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sakura, Jan 20, 2020.

1. bortage spammin lifetaps

The dps merc is groundbreaking at one thing - generating far more aggro than it has any right to
    eepok, Dyna, Bigstomp and 2 others like this.
  2. svann Augur

Id say a tank merc needs either a real healer or at least 2 merc healers, even for just single pull trash. Id rather tank myself with 2 merc healers than to change one of them to a tank.
    eepok likes this.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

It is a little excessive. But it's dps is also pretty nice. Press aggro buttons harder and enjoy until they change it.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

A merc is supposed to fill ONE spot in a group. Fix a mostly ready to go group who is missing one role.
  5. Ninelder Augur

That would be impossible. Using a tank merc requires that half of the group be healers, at least one real one and two mercenary healers... to do trash...

By comparison, I have about two dozen tank and melee guildees who can, and do, molo most named in current content. Disparity, look it up.
  6. Sakura New Member

The biggest complaint about tanks mercs are their mitigation. Doesn't matter if you have 5 members or 3, if you don't have the dps, it will eventually get 1 rounded. It's like they are desinged to fail. In comparison, my SK can tank three all day long and never have that issue.
    Dyna likes this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Have you parsed clerics? Do you have any numbers on how much DPS they are doing? I think your argument sounds great to say but the numbers simply don't support it as valid.
  8. Sakura New Member

Besides, who is going to fill the last spot in a group with a tank merc? Just add a mage or bst instead. Can't find one? Any of the melee dps can tank better and brings dps to the table.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Everything is undead. Both intervention healing, and turn undead, as well if is the tank is beefy melee and contraventions or direct damage spells clerics don't suck.

Really depends on how familiar they are with the tank as to how much they can dps vs just healing.
  10. Tallie Elder

The problem is this.

Even with constant nuking, even a live cleric doesn't provide a lot of dps.

If you molo with a cleric merc, you bring along the dps.

If a cleric tries to molo with a tank merc, nobody provides any dps.

A little parity would be nice!
    Vumad likes this.
  11. Dyna Elder

They used to be better per level, now our tank merc just dies constantly and gets us killed so it is pretty much worthless now.
  12. Ninelder Augur

I a merc is supposed to fill ONE spot in a group, there would be no such word as MOLO in EQ. I must have imagined all those toons out there running around with just a healer merc.

Maybe the devs should make your bizarre delusion a reality. It would not be to hard: Take the current cleric merc and set its normal casting rate now to work when in a group with 5 other real toons. Then lower the casting rate by 20pct for each live toon under five. Brilliant!!!

That might put the healer merc on equal footing with a tank merc then. It would probably still be OP by comparison. But hey, that is a really good and easy idea for the devs to give healer mercs parity with tank mercs.

You sir are a genius! if the devs actually follow your well-thought-out request, I am sure the entire EQ community will shower you with praise and adoration! Much love!
  13. Petalonyx Augur

What is the max AC/Hp of a maxed AA, lvl 115 Tank merc with best vigilant merc gear and no buffs?

Well geared, max AA group geared player tanks are now in excess of 320k hp and 8,000 AC unbuffed, so i was just wondering how they compare in raw stats w merc tanks.
  14. Axxius Augur

Pretty sure this thread was created by a 'New Member' with the purpose of getting melee mercs nerfed. Why waste time discussing the fine aspects of merc grouping with a troll? :rolleyes:
  15. Sakura New Member

You know what that say about assumptions? The only reason I mentioned a melee merc was because they got an upgrade and tanks mercs did not. Melee mercs were at least usable, tanks merc absolutely worthless unless you bring a lot of dps.

There is absolutely no reason to ever pop one, when any real dps can do a better job.