Confirmed NPC response text AFTER PC trigger phrases please!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Angahran, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Angahran Augur

I know this is minor, but it's also annoying.

Can we please get NPC's responses AFTER our trigger phrases ?
    Having someone reply to something we have not yet said is just plain weird!

[Thu Jan 23 19:32:22 2020] Bethun Brewbeard says, 'Ah, hail. I would be grateful if you kept your voice down, though. The Ry`Gorr don't like intruders, even less so since they died. If you are ready and willing to [fight] them, then please, shout all you want. Though I suppose if you need a chance to recover I can help. That orc is pretty stupid, and I think I can buy you time to [reset] your efforts if needed. Of course, if you really want to avoid that, then you might want to [leave].'
    [Thu Jan 23 19:32:22 2020] Bob says, 'Hail, Bethun Brewbeard'

[Thu Jan 23 19:32:36 2020] Bethun Brewbeard says, 'You are just in time. I think he's noticed that we are here. Good luck, hero.'
    [Thu Jan 23 19:32:36 2020] Bob says, 'fight'
    Pikachuuu, Jumbur, Froglok and 7 others like this.
  2. Mukkul Augur

This problem with text displayed out of order is widespread. Happens on mob deaths, where the NPC speaks his last words after he's a corpse instead of right before dying. Happens where you get xp and faction messages just before the mob dies instead of just after.

I'm guessing when there are multiple simultaneous messages, it outputs them in the wrong order, possibly reverse order. Which is a problem that goes back to the original days of EQ.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Angahran Augur

I know, in the big scheme of things this isn't world shattering but it is annoying.

How difficult is it to have NPCs respond to player actions instead of being psychic and responding to things BEFORE players do them ?
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It's been that was for many many years now. I never thought of making a bug report, but, yes, this is a bug.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

They should keep it for Lady Lendiniara, since she is a Seer.
  6. Febb Augur

What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you have broken it if I hadn't said anything?

[IMG]
    Mikana likes this.
  7. Angahran Augur

You know what you can do with that spoon ? .....
  8. Ratalthor Developer

We were not able to reproduce this specific instance on Live. It may have been fixed already.
    Is the instance mentioned in the original post still an issue for anybody else?

Dialogue text issues appearing out of order will need to be handled case by case, so if you encounter similar issues, please bug it separately.
  9. Conq Augur

This has been happening for years on many servers on many zones for many mobs/instances/raids whatever.
    Conq
    Fanra and Rondor like this.
  10. Hegsheoshed Augur

This is something in chat that happens when you see others hail npc's and you see the /say in your chat window not when you are on the character hailing the npc. I can hail Magus Alaria in the lobby and everything appears normal in the chat window. To others around my character in the lobby it appears out of order and you see the response from the Magus first and then the hail of the character doing the hailing.
    Fanra, Angahran and Rondor like this.
  11. Angahran Augur

You want an individual bug ticket for every single NPC in the game ?

What the previous poster said.

So, to reproduce:
    1. Have two characters standing at an NPC.
    2. Have characterA /hail the NPC (and go through any folloup dialogue).
    3. On characterB look at the chat window/log file and you will see the NPCs responses BEFORE characterA says the trigger hrases for those responses.
    Fanra and Rondor like this.
  12. xmPradah Not a dude

I've seen this a lot; it's like the NPC is receiving the PC dialog and responding before the dialog (from PC) is received by the chat server.
    Rondor likes this.
  13. Froglok Augur

This is not a single NPC thing ... and has been going on for years. I see it even when another player is doing the NPC chat.

However, it is exactly has stated. The NPC repsonse spam will appear BEFORE the Player spam.

In short, if the Player hails the NPC / or uses a keywrod reply, you will see the NPC response and THEN the Player Hail / keyword (reverse order of what it should be).
    Rondor likes this.
  14. Angahran Augur

You honestly want a separate thread for every single NPC in game ?

This is obviously a global issue with how PC and NPC dialogue is shown to 3rd parties and not specific to individual NPCs.
    Rondor and Jumbur like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that this bug only shows up, if you have a non-perfect connection to the server. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs have a better connection to the server then the rest of us(maybe they are in the same building as the server?).
    Try to see if you can replicate the bug on AB(assuming you have worse ping there)?

I can't remember ever NOT seeing that bug, it is not NPC specific.
    Rondor likes this.
  16. Rondor Augur

This bug's status is now marked as "Confirmed" so hopefully it's been reproduced by a developer or quality assurance person now!

I seem to remember that this bug, where the response from an NPC responding to another player appears before that other player's trigger phrase in /say, had started many years ago but was not present before.

Maybe it only started happening after I changed my internet connection or my computer, or maybe only after some big patch, I don't know anymore, but all I can say is I remember it showing up the right way around in the past and that something changed in the mean time.