EQ Fan Faire - Let's Get With This Over ™

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Jan 19, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Updates? Anyone?
    Elyssanda, eepok and OldCa61 like this.
  2. OldCa61 Augur

Personally, I loved the Vegas ones. Lots to do and can always use air miles for free flights :) Lots of free rooms too if you play the Vegas slot app from MGM. Haven't paid for a room in years, or buffets etc
    Elyssanda, Danaleigh and Maedhros like this.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

the last mention of Fan Fair was Jan 21,2020
    https://www.everquest.com/news/darkpaw-games-producers-letter-2020

"We’ll start evaluating the interest in, and logistics of, a fan faire and move forward with that as soon as possible. "

I assume they might do another POLL if they need more info from us or they might be getting quotes biased on the last Poll they did to see general costs if its possible or not. I assume that the break-up into different groups might of split the Dollars also so they might not be that flush with cash.
  4. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Vegas was wayyy too expensive for them. I'm sad for having been to young to go when they were still a thing, but the reality is they're probably never going back there. It'll still be fun just to have a lil meet n greet with the team somewhere in San Diego, Party at SR AirBNB (I never get my damage deposit back anyway /cry)
    Nniki and Mintalie like this.
  5. Jalelorf Augur

Let's get with this over?

Was that a typo or bad English?
    Shanarias likes this.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't care where it is, though somewhere cheaper than CA would be good for most people I presume. What I care about is some freaking notice. Many people need at least a couple months to plan for something requiring setting up childcare, taking off work, buying plane tickets and getting hotel rooms.
    Elyssanda, Nniki and Scornfire like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Radio speak. Let's get with this. Over.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

Uh come have it in my garage. Set up some tents in my backyard and we are good. Plus I already would have a place to sleep. Sound good?
  9. Mintalie Augur

I've been laughing at this since yesterday.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  10. Crystilla Augur

Vegas was expensive when they had all the various games so had to bring people + all the equipment for each game. May be a different story now with just EQ/EQII like it was when they were "Fan Faires" before it came "SoE Live" to reflect Planetside and DCUO, etc. influences.

The devs drive or take a bus there (they don't fly) so that cuts down on costs.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

Vegas is cheap to fly to, but expensive for Darkpaw to host. I'd happily attend a San Diego one if it's easier on DpG.

When it comes to hosting a conference/convention of any sort, the concerns are always:
    • Cost of venue (Host)
    • Staffing the event (it's a LOT of hours) and the cost of doing so
    • Cost of transportation (Attendee)
    • Cost of lodging (Attendee)
    • Providing enough content to justify attendee expenses.
    Honestly, the main attraction for me would be to have a centralized meet-up for the many people in my casual raid alliance (Norrathian Council of Guilds). I haven't seen ANY of them since the 2010 Fan Faire and with some having left EQ and others having passed away, I really want to look these great friends in the eyes again.
    Anyway, there's not much for us to do on balancing the financial aspect of it all for Darkpaw, but we CAN list out what we would actually want to see, do, or experience. I'll start:
    1. Insight - The Why. I love attending lectures/talks/panels with the intent of understanding. The Devs seem to change their methods with XYZ during every expansion. What's with that? Give some insight. (This would be particularly interesting for people getting into game design themselves.)
    2. Insight - The How. Walk me through a bug fix. Forum complaints and OUTRAGE, yes. But what happens behind the scenes? How can we help the whole EQ team be as effective as they want to be?
    3. Insight - A Week in the Life. Walk me through a week in the life of Customer Service, Dev, etc. in 10 minutes each. What trips you up? What keeps you going? How can WE keep you going?
    4. BYOLaptop LAN party. Give us a room with good WiFi, plenty of power sockets, tables, and chairs. Let us LAN party it up with some friends. Create a couple missions or even a raid that is available only to attendees with the rewards being something identifying, but not empowering... like a mount or a Hero's Forge set.
    5. Open Hall + Alcohol. Just a big room with multiple small bars set up so people can hang out with each other and shoot the .
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Atlanta. Let's do it. If they picked a week where conventions were light, would be inexpensive.

Wrong week (dragoncon hotel prices...oof)....
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It was absolutely intentional.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I was giggling when I wrote it. I giggle still.
  15. Sobmre Augur

COME ON, we all know its gonna be the same bs west coast crap. god forbid they have it in like orlando
  16. Jimbob/Silvarfox Elder

How about canada? For those people with criminal.records who cannot leave the country? #imnotguilty
  17. Hekaton Augur

Dave and Busters with 1 free hour of game tokens
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Personally, going to a Fan Faire to play video games at Dave and Busters sounds like a really bad time.
    Maedhros likes this.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

I live in San Diego County. Bring the Fan Faire home and back to its roots. As long as there's an In-N-Out and a Rubio's I am good.
    eepok likes this.
  20. Elyssanda Bardbrain

all of last year's stuff was in San Diego.. and 99% of us couldn't go because of short notice, too small a venue.. etc.. Vegas, or DFW/OKC something central, and larger where more people can attend.