The obvious xp problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran 99, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There's like 20 threads on ToV XP that you've let go (and made the same complaints ad nauseaum). You now want to clean of this thread because:

1. People understand ToV achievement XP hurts the automated PL market.
    2. People can seek help in their various guilds to complete ToV tasks and missions.
  2. Tappin Augur

Too many personal attacks, someone needs to give up, I did.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

What personal attacks? How are fair, constructive suggestions (guild coordination) personal attacks?
  4. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Common sense like this utterly defies the intellect of the likes of Benito and Smokesz. The simple sense of accomplishment is lacking in TOV by the same players that found no problem finding it in every prior expansion.

Routine is the source of comfort and stability. TOV busts the EQ routine into a million pieces with the forced progression.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

For every complaint about the options for ToV XP today, there would have been 10 people saying ToV is "Velious reskinned with mind-numbing, pointless grind. I wasted $35."
  6. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

shuck and jive...
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

So you've been watching the debates on Brexit too?

Shameless derail attempt is now out of my system. Please return to the original topic
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Brexit
    e
    n
    i
    t
    o

Irony???? !!!!
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Umm Not really. Care to try again?
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Clever! /golfclap
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah I don't really get that either.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

You're missing a few years worth of rewards in that list;

11. Summon Banker
    12. Summon Permutation Peddler (Aug Distillers)
    13. Summon Tribute Master
    14. Blessing of the Devoted (25% Reuse reduction on all Vet AA's)

So the Reuse reduction is there already. I wouldn't mind more Vet rewards beyond the 14 but that's a topic for another thread and has already been shot down multiple time.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think Corwyhn Lionheart either needs to start earning all that guild leader pay by organizing events or realize it's time to step down. It's selfish of him to take all that compensation and do so little for the guild.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

No discussion of getting xp from tasks and missions in ToV makes sense unless everyone is clear that you only get xp ONCE for doing them.

Once you are 114 or 115 from doing them all, assuming you manage to, as it does take a good group to do them, what then?

Every death after that is a grind to get back the xp. Players die. That's what EQ is all about. As I always say to my group members when they mess up and we die, "Hey, if you can't take a death, you shouldn't be playing EQ".

With the lack of xp in ToV, that all changes. Now every death represents a grind to get the xp back.

The number one most important thing about any game should be, "Are we having fun?". There should always be a balance between risk and reward. In the past it seemed like Daybreak (now Darkpaw) understood that the risk of dying was balanced by the reward of recovering the xp lost.

Too many of us just aren't having fun worrying that every death digs a deeper hole.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Zunnoab like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Deaths were a much more fearsome event in classic EQ through to Planes of Power. Items could rot with your corpse. Clerics were few and far between.

Today, we have 100% rezzes from players, 96% Revivisence from J5 mercs, 96% rezz tokens, lesser rezzes from non-cleric classes (shaman, druid, paladin, necros), and even Expedient Recovery 100% multi rezz Vet AA. You can summon your corpse on demand in Guild Lobby for a fee.

However, I have suggested that they update Franklin Teek tasks for really casual xp and to mitigate xp loss in raids, etc.
  16. enclee Augur

I will say deaths are just quicker in modern EQ.

So you’re arguing against increasing kill xp and instead raising Franklin Teek rewards?
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

New Franklin Teek tasks for levels 100, 105, and possibly 110. A set of 3 tasks would probably grant 5% xp per day. This would allow the super casual to make 1 level at around 20 days and mitigate supposed xp loss without redoing ToV design.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am a little shocked in reading his defense (buffing) but I suppose that's his leadership philosophy. Well, his guild members can vote with their feet.

I wish him the best though.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It was pretty much a different game. I started in 1999.

Medding = Sitting down and staring at your spellbook. That's all you could see. You would kill a few mobs, then have to med. Being a druid, it was all about mana management.

Mobs didn't hit like freight trains and kills took more time.

Heck, clerics (and later druids) used Complete Heal, which has a cast time of TEN seconds. Imagine a healer today saying, hey, don't worry, your heal will come in 10 seconds, until then you are on your own.

Also, to get back to the point, you didn't have AAs. So all your xp went into leveling. Yes, it could be slow and you could lose xp from all your deaths. But it was a slower, different game. The entire game was slower.

I remember raiding Naggy and Vox when there was no mass group buff and casting group buffs took a lot of mana. Also no buffing other groups, only the one you were in.

Heck, we would assemble 72 people outside of Vox's chamber, form 5 people and a buffer into a group, have the buffer buff, then put in the next buffer into the group, etc, until those 5 people were all buffed. Then they would camp out and go to the chat room and wait. Do this for all the groups. Then when everyone was finally buffed, it would be announced in the chat room, everyone would come back and engage Vox. Because buffs didn't last long at all.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Vumad and Benito like this.
  20. Whulfgar Augur

Leader's are born .. they are not made via a video game.