did p99's membership triple because of legacy items?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by NinjutsuMMO, Jan 9, 2020.

1. NinjutsuMMO Augur

title says it all..
    did the chance of manastone and dark elf masks and holgreth beads ect ect entice people to return ?

or is it the seasonal server that merges everyone after a set amount of time ?

triple the playerbase with a new server launch is something DB should pay attention too imo..
  2. code-zero Augur

what are you talking about?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you read the forums they are talking about the population plummeting relative to launch.

The takeaway? As dbg already learned, eq players thrive on the bustling newbie scene and a fresh launch is the best way to deliver that. The grind kicks in and filters out players fast.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Rotlust Augur

I've been astonished for quite a while that they haven't done a seasonal server. I mean they are already quasi doing that anyway by releasing new servers every year. Should just have a phinny clone that resets itself every year and dumps those characters into another server (Agnarr?). Maybe you could earn cosmetic items, bags, illusion clicks, and exp pots for the next reset by making certain milestones (think Quarm).
    Gemstoner likes this.
  5. NinjutsuMMO Augur

o_O i like that idea. rewards for participating in new tlp's, rewards that don't suck...
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

It's the new hotness. Every time Daybreak releases a new classic-type TLP the forums get flooded with complaints about server queues and whatnot and it all dies down after a week or two. You can get many of the same "limited-time only" drops on TLPs as you can on p99 as well so I don't think that's a huge draw, unless you have some weird Manastone fetish.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  7. Gemstoner Elder

Oooh, I like this idea.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It makes sense & I would hope it actually reduced the need for quite so many TLP launches while still giving players who really enjoy that classic era experience the opportunity to do that over & over again.

Here was my outline of a seasonal server - LINK
  9. Krezzy Augur

For the record, I do have a weird manastone fetish.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  10. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Nice feedback.... great work.....

I wonder if Daybreak management team actually takes our feedback seriously. I KNOW that other companies like visionary realms and blizzard activity reply and give feedback and comment on players feedback...

Seems like everyone is trying to suggest something new or different as of late because it feels like the game is on its last leg and daybreak just keeps killing it off piece by piece..

seems like the community is shattered and divided, tons of empty ghost-town servers...

i remember playing eq1 and you were tripping over people, that made it pretty fun...
  11. DeseanJackson Augur

The game is far from dying. The community is divided because we have different preferences and situations for how we want and can play. The game has less players now days, what do you expect. And before you go on about P99, let’s jusy start by acknowledging it’s free to play. That’s a big part of its appeal.

DBG does give and receive feedback on stuff, you just seem to post instead of looking for answers.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Punchu Augur

It's funny because when DBG took over from sony they had a poll about what kind of TLP servers people preferred and seasonal came in dead last. But then they kind of shoved seasonal down everyones throat anyway with yearly releases.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

100%. Not many want a seasonal TLP, but we essentially have it. So rather than divide the population 2-3 times per year, at least recycle these players into the same servers.
    Skuz and NinjutsuMMO like this.
  14. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Agree 100%
  15. markkk Lorekeeper

i love eq in classic and dont mind it up to don and i love a new server every year the trill of starting from lvl1.
  16. Panikker Elder

There is a "classic";) server ..Agnarr and is dead !! would be better if DB just made it public with no sub. required. I wonder why DB has not copied p99 !!! make a server and stop at Velious. Release expansions a year apart. classic exp and penalties. No boxing ...like p99
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The only seasonal server they ever did was Quarm, and they only did it once. It happening only once was not due to it being a failure either, but due to the amount of work that went into doing it.
  18. sumnayin Augur

My favorite thing to do back in 1999 was to just move to any new server that popped up and play in the newbie zones....wasn't much fun in the game 20+ because I couldn't find groups, the release of Kunark helped a little.
  19. Hythos Augur

Mana-stone fetish, isn't that like in-game easter-egg of Gwyneth's Jade Egg?

Also, "Classic" always had the appeal of everyone starting out fresh, killing bears and wolves for hides, then crafting & selling Tattered and Banded armor.

IF there were a market for *useful* higher-level crafted gear even if it required extensive material-farming, it might continue beyond a couple expansions, but Dev's have since disabled certain drops that were originally available on Live during Kunark (IE, Essence of Shadow) until Luclin when some of the gear (enchanted Tier'dal chain) is practically useless.
  20. Aaramis Augur

It didn't triple because of legacy items. In fact, only a small % of the server will be getting them. The drop rates are abysmal and held by neckbeards who sit at a camp for literally 24+ hours (there's a list system there, so you have to work your way up the list, be non-afk, and not leave the camp radius to keep your spot). If anything, the legacy items are a bit of a turn-off for many.

What has people playing there right now is 2 things. 1: it's new (as mentioned above), and people seem to flock to the new server. Case in point: every TLP ever released here. and 2: it's classic. Well, almost. More so than the original P99 server was, in the sense that they combed through wayback machine and other archived data to figure out every single bit of data on original EQ and try to recreate it. There's some good stuff about that, nostalgia not the least bit about it; but there's also some down sides to that, such as Magicians not having pets past level 24 or so for a few months. Literally. No Sol Ro until 3+ months into the server. Have to have your spellbook open and click meditate in order to actually meditate (although they did allow the spellbook to be moved around your screen, unlike *true* oldschool where you were a sitting duck staring at your spellbook). Only 6 buttons on your character actions window (which severely limits your hotkeys). Etc, etc.

So that appeals to some.
    If it appeals to you, check it out. You sadist.