EQ - frustration.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Marbles, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Marbles Elder

I know this post will likely turn toxic, but perhaps it will be seen before that happens. I play with a group that is one or two expansions behind current and the scaling changes that have been implemented have really dismissed our almost 20 year love of this game.

I absolutely do not need (or expect) current content to be playable. But i do expect when i level past an expansion (and get gear from the new expansion) when i go back to finish up some older missions that were difficult before i DO EXPECT them to at least feel somewhat easier, Not HARDER.

I know 4 people with 7 accounts tops is irrelevant especially when there is limited resources and time, but how can you expect people like us to but a new expansion if it is not playable without max gear from the prior expansion OR when you level up the prior missions are easier.

I will say, i do like the attunable equipment we have seen lately, but We are old school. I know none of us do the rot-loot thing, and i would be surprised if anyone bought anything but tradeskill supplies from the bazaar. If we can't earn it, we don't want it.

Anyway, i hope the team sees this, we aren't quitting and this isn't a treat, but we are playing alts alot and the whole group is often not online, which seems to me a sign of things to come.

Thanks for listening and i really do love this game.
    Laurana, Galien, Bobokin and 6 others like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Some specifics might help then again you are not wrong that some will start pointing out how wrong you are.
    Duder and CatsPaws like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

4. Marbles Elder

For sure I will point out that caused us to quit playing this morning.

1) all of Skyfire now scales to 115 (drakes are doing 182K damage, dots are 10-20% higher)
    2) Went back to finish up some hunter in broken mirror and in the Mobs (even trash -- this is specifically Force the Forceful, but will report on others if we even tty again) are eating through a 110 SK
    defenses.

I admit it maybe also be the changes to repost here (or other AA consolidation/nerfs) but cause is irrelevant. A tank that can handle (or used to be able to handle) ROS T1 trash should not really break a sweat on a broken mirror mission.
    Laurana, Duder and Hitty like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You should make a thread in the "Bug" section of the forums or PM one of the devs. Other players have made the same claim. 180k-200k damage does seem heavy handed even with today's chanter runes.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...reball-diefire-mountains.261836/#post-3852349

Lucy spell data has this note on many newer spells: "Calculates to current max level."

You should include other problem spells that you are encountering in that bug thread.
    FubarEQ, Duder and kizant like this.
  6. Hitty Augur

Would be interesting which one exactly have the problem.

Scaling old content was the most crappy idea ever. Everybody who is not top notch always plays a min. of one expansion back. For me it is the same. I do the latest content to get the gear to finish at least the content from 1-2 xpacs before because they are not possible to finish for me.

With L114 I could now do Ashes Trial from TBL and got my carpet and the appropriate boni.I could not do it at 110.If this would have been scaling I would have been really pissed.

So I assume it is a bug.
    Duder, Marton, Fanra and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Yeah, the scaling of old content really hurts the group game. This is one complaint from groupers that I fully agree with. I get that they were trying to keep the content relevant and not a farm fest for end game players but I think they missed the mark on it. I think it does more harm than it helps.
    FubarEQ, Laurana, Skuz and 7 others like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And they increase the risk with no increase in the rewards.
    FubarEQ, Skuz, Hitty and 2 others like this.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Nothing should be scaling up with level past 110 in old content.

If it is, its a bug, and needs to be specifically reported.
  10. Riou EQResource

Believe any spell with a between 3000 and 4000 in the calc field scales to player level in some way, it's mostly used for HA's to scale effects appropriately to higher or lower levels, so mobs outside of HA using it is indeed most likely a bug
    Laurana and Duder like this.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

RoS is a lvl 110 max level expansion. Thus by default Skyfire is exactly targeted for lvl 110 difficulty. Just wanted to point this out.

This is VERY unfortunate. I hope this changes. And ty for pointing it out to everyone.

What kind of gear is the Sk in ?

How many AA are on the SK ?
    Duder likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Changes were definitely made to the mob with the expansion launch. They were changed from EoK level to RoS level I believe for 105-110 mobs. This should not have been done. The old content should have remained old content.
    Laurana, Skuz, Gialana and 5 others like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This X 3000

Returning players and players coming through later should not have a hardertime than the players had when they were released.
    Galien, Dracolindus, Gialana and 8 others like this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Complete agreement here.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Marton Augur

Absolutely agree with you.

Changing old content = bad.
    FubarEQ and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is all due to the HA scaling changes implemented two years ago.

HAs scale according to max level of the latest expansion in the era the HA belongs to. To wit:

- TBM HAs scale to EoK
    - ROS HAs scale to TBL

I have been banging the drum against this change for years and will continue. It is THE WORST change in the history of retroactive changes ever to plague the game. It effectively means the older of the two expansions of the same level will be significantly harder (more risk) for the same reward. It punishes people for completing content late.
  17. CrazyLarth Augur

18. Hitty Augur

rofl.. CotF and 450k damage...
    can something point out better that scaling HAs is and was a very bad idea?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Chorus Augur

If they wanted to keep content relevant, all they need to do is stop with the absurd scaling/mudflation they've been using since PoP. The scaling pre-pop made sense. New expansions didn't automatically make gear from the previous expansion or 2 obsolete, unlike today.
  20. Aanuvane Augur

I am similar to you - I am no where near current content and literally just started fighting in Skyfire and the Overthere since the ToV release. In the open zone, those drakes are easy enough to avoid if you find the right place and look for the graphic when they are going to hit you with that silly 180K spell. I find that if I pull them, they do not generate that much damage. So I clear all nearby drakes and keep them down (distance tracking FTW), plus I've found three spots (so far) I can keep my group and they won't get hit by that silly spell. Now all that being said, I haven't tried any missions if there are any for that zone, I've literally only been killing in the open zone.

But I agree with everyone else as well, I do not expect that older content is harder when I am at the level for that expansion (not taking anyone over 110 for now).