Overseer System = Ship-to-Ship Combat?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jan 2, 2020.

1. roth Augur

They are in game. They just are not in use as a player to player currency because no one bothered.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It was never advertised as coming with ToV. From the start of Beta they explicitly stated that the Overseer system was completely separate from ToV and something that they had just put in Beta to test at the same time for a future release.
    No, Nobles were the original answer to how players could more easily do high price item sales without having to worry as much about giving too much or too little due to all the 0s as well as introducing a platsink at the same time. But due to the platsink and the fact that it was never built into the /bazaar|/trader|/barter|/buyer systems, no one ever used it like roth stated.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It was but the original post was edited. Anyways, it's a trivial matter to debate over....
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, it wasn't. The original post always said that it was only being tested. It was stated as such before Beta even started. People kept seeing it in Beta after not reading the news article about it, and assumed it was something coming which is what lead to the original post in beta being edited to make it even clearer that it was not part of ToV, and even then people thought it was.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Hdizzle Augur

Sounds like they are expecting a few truebox servers to hit live and as we all know Live and Truebox isn't a great combo Lol.

At least with a system like this, anyone who chooses to play on a truebox server on live would be able to do stuff that not having a box makes super annoying. Like having an afk TS toon, a baz toon etc. I mean they have mercs to substitute for battles why not have a npc to substitute for non combat things?
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Unless you check the forums a few times a day like myself, you don't know what you're talking about. Dreamweaver's original post for ToV included Overseer in bullet points as part of the expansion features. It was edited out (since we no longer see it). I don't want to make you look stupid but I am not sure why you are so aggro over this honestly. (I've noticed you tend to be stubborn/unrelenting poster on the forums).

Edit: I made it clear in my OP that I don't care if it's a ToV feature or not.
  8. Sancus Augur

Not that it matters that much, but I check the forums far more often than a few times a day, and I have no recollection of reading anything about the Overseer system outside of the beta forums. I'm pretty sure I read every ToV post within 5-10 minutes of it being posted.

I'm not saying it's impossible that something slipped by me, but I can't find anything to corroborate this either. The post with the feature list that I believe you're referring to has never been edited.
  9. Khat_Nip Meow

Regarding the Overseer function back in October:

"This is currently still in development and will not be released with Torment of Velious, but it's available in beta for your feedback." -EQ Dev

(IIRC it was mentioned in the Beta forum at the time)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Yinla and Benito like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It actually may not have been on the forums which is my mistake.

I do recall seeing it in a clear explanatory, bullet point format like the article linked:

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-torment-of-velious-expansion-features-2019

I excitedly checked the site/boards on announcement day to check out the expac swag and compare it to TBL. Perhaps, a thread was removed outright or the article updated? /shrug. We'll never know. lol.

Edit: It seems like the beta announcement wording ("will not be released with Torment of Velious") presupposed that there was some sort of announcement or inclining.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

To me they just added that because it was in beta, just to let those in beta know we weren't getting it with the expansion. I seem to remember they did a similar thing with Guild Halls. They were availble for testing but didn't come with the expansion. I believe they were released a good few months later.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Well, Guild Halls, according to Allakhazam, was an advertised feature:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Dragons_of_Norrath_Overview

I will swear that I saw "Overseer" as a bulleted feature in a thread or news item. Few people cared about it at the time.

It's a trivial debate. My original post actually points to doing away with it anyways.
  13. svann Augur

Well if they are allowing afk foraging then it only makes sense to allow offline foraging.

I dont think they have ever warned/suspended/banned anyone for afk foraging, and Ive not heard any requests for it to be banned either. So why not?
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're correct. It was most definitely NOT in the expansion release thing or in advertised features. Why people were confused about it in beta.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Because they probably don't have a tool to check for actions that don't give a visual response or something.

They most definitely DO suspend for afk fishing. But you can see the player doing things. For foraging, no one but the game system can see you doing anything different than being afk.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There are three phases of expansion release and four news sources where reports can conflict:

3 expansions phases:
    1. Initial Announcement [Minor or major announcements in August (TBL sale), September (name and screenshots), and October (substantial information)]
    2. Pre-Order Day (TBL discount ends & ToV sales starts) & Beta Start
    3. Expansion Release Day
    4 news sources:
    • Forums: News, discussion, and beta threads.
    • EQ Website News
    • Email
    • Fan sites
    It takes any combination of the above in addition to changes for different reports to arise.
    I will say what I saw. Other people will say what they saw.
    It's water under the bridge ultimately.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Also, oddly enough, both the forum threads and news articles for ToV are devoid of any mention of the "Hero's Forge Key Ring." I recall seeing it as a bulleted feature on some page which could have been a initial report/rough draft (EQ website or forums) or a fan site summary.

Anyways, there was no expansion stream or any other set outlet for a full review of features this year. It's very possible - more so than previous years - that features were still in development and such fluidity precluded official mention or merited changes of the following: Hero Forge Keyring, Overseer System, TS Quest line, and minor improvements (mercenaries, DoTs).
  18. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm pretty certain mods/admins can edit posts without the edit notification if they want so that isn't a good indicator.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

If they can they have never bothered to do it in the entirety of the existence of these forums. The only way that they could actually do that, would be to delete the post and recreate it, but that would in turn give the post a different origin date.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If they did (or could), then you would never know. lol.