TOV XP

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nivek, Jan 8, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Which means, what, exactly?

This is not a difficult expansion. You know it. I know it. This is proven. A group-geared boxer completed the group progression in 24 hours. It is known. It is fact.

Add to this the INSANE amount of snowbound armor dropping, expansion launched during increased rare spawns, and jaw-dropping experience rewards for completing progression achievements - there should be absolutely NOTHING to complain about.

Are XP rewards for killing a mob lower than in previous expansions? Yes.
    Do missions require some preparation, reacting to game mechanics, and some (actual) grouping? Yes.
    Are many people hitting 115 quickly? YES. But only because of the aforementioned jaw-dropping experience rewards.

I have heard and understand your complaints. But the notion that ToV XP needs increased is baseless. When even the most casual player in my guild is already 114, your argument holds no water. Max level took this player 8 months in RoS. Let that sink in a moment.

I read some of you heralding how others just don't understand your point of view and how unfair it all is, and how DBG is trying to get you to play their game their way instead of your way, and how you shouldn't have to group and how your guild is 'different' and forcing people to interact with others is unjust.

I am increasingly convinced that nothing, absolutely nothing, will please some of you. Ever.
  2. Drayman Elder

I know. My comment was a little tongue in cheek.

But I get the frustration that some who cant make 50 or 60 hrs a week playtime get when chastised by those who live in the game, for not being good enough or dedicated enough.

I mean if you can make that kind of time and it's what you want to do, more power to you. But not all of us can. Life gets in the way, and casual people have been struggling for a while and whenever they vent about it they are shouted down by most everyone here.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Why are you sitting in lobby LFG?

Make your own group. Nothing grinds me gears more than 20 people with LFG on and not one of them trying to make a group, then whining about no groups. Its about as bad as people logging on, going "LFG" then logging off 5 minutes later.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What does it hurt to increase the ToV grind exp? What game problems does it cause how does it hurt you personally? What are the downsides of increasing it? All I ever hear is it doesn't need to be changed but never why increasing it would be a problem?

Is it really such a terrible thing to increase the grind exp some so that people could do some of their levels grinding? I mean the mission stuff only gives regular exp so its not like it makes getting aa easier? I seriously don't get the opposition to it.

All people are asking for is grind exp more in line with past expansions in regards to percentage of level. Is that going to ruin your game?

I mean heck you guys can't even argue it will take a bunch of dev time. Time to increase exp would be insignificant.
    enclee likes this.
  5. Shoryuureppa Journeyman

I've seen many of these XP threads, and yes it seems like overkill to have this many, but I do agree with the xp per kill rate, I would love to find parties and group up and do content with, the problem is, mostly EVERYONE is a boxer, I really don't have any hang ups on people boxing, if that's how you want to play more power to you, but people like me who don't box and actively looks for groups, I have a bad time finding one because everyone is already boxing

it was like this for me on previous expansion, but at least I was able to just grind out xp and still feel like I did progress somewhat, while waiting for a group or in the process of spamming general chat every 10-15min trying to start one.

so anyone that says "go out and make friends, it's your fault that you can't get a group", how about you take that energy and tell the boxers to let a real person in? but why would they though when they can do everything by themselves, I think this is the ultimate problem with this game, very close knit circles or extreme boxing, which leaves casuals and commoners in the dust.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

1. "let a real person in"
    2. "Tell the boxers..."
    3. "extreme boxing"

I ... just ... /sigh
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If it is not clear to you that XP is set up this way BY DESIGN, I can't help you.

Changing the XP rate per mob kill changes the fundamental design. They would have to reduce the achievement XP to compensate. With so many already successfully navigating group progression, what now do you say to those who didn't get in on the group progression achievement XP pinata? What of those who already took advantage of it? Now they get the best of both worlds under your plan?

Or do we take away their levels? Punish the people who played this expansion the way it was designed and intended? How dare they!! Would this finally slake your desire to play your way?

I am opposed to upsetting the expansion's design. Think of it this way: To max AA and Levels is X amount of XP (in general). Decide how you want to divide this by the various paths and methods XP can be gained. For ToV, they decided to heavily weight group progression achievements, which drastically lowered the XP allocated to other methods. This means you gain levels VERY fast, but gain AA VERY slow. This is the design.

You say you cannot believe I am opposed to upping XP per kill. Well, I cannot believe you are so against doing the missions. It's almost like you're against it on principle. Like someone took your cheese and now you're mad so you refuse to see that the only person standing in your way is you.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We can surmise that the devs want to increase the longevity of the expansion by creating a larger level-xp threshold.

It's easier to climb your local town's hill than Mt. Everest or K2 but people still seek to conquer those mountains. There is a sense of achievement and fulfillment.

The expansion's XP actually reminds me a lot about old EQ experience rates (Kunark-Velious era Level 20-30 in Lake of Ill Omen).
  9. Laronk Augur

It's funny, you play a video game a lot? you're a loser

You work 80-100 hours a week digging yourself an early grave just to have more "stuff" that's fine.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually that would be incorrect. As many of you have stated over and over for those who can do all the progression they get almost to 115 in no time. So all we can surmise is the devs want everyone to do all the progression and for that to be the main way you get grind exp.

Your second error is some can have a sense of achievement in ways that are different from yours. If you get it from doing all progression great although with many of you going on about how super easy it is I am not sure how you are getting any sense of achievement out of it. But hey we all get fun in different ways so I won't say DBG should nerf the way you have fun

And again no one has given a good reason why people can't have the same grinding exp as past expansions short of DBG wants to make everyone do progression if they wan to get to 115 in a reasonable amount of time. And again WHY? I mean OMG someone wants to have fun in a non Dev approved way.... the horror of it all!
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

INCORRECT. Think about it. You do all the progression and you are really close to 115. The actual impact of letting people grind a reasonable amount of exp would have minimal effect because once you are 99.8% into 115 you cant get any more regular exp.

AND those who are the best players with the highest DPS groups and raid level gear don't get impacted by these nearly as much as more casual players and especially non boxing casuals who may not be in large guilds. And people stay in their current guilds for more reasons then grouping. Some will stick with an almost inactive guild for a long time.

People with little time used to be able to at least grind away at levels and run lessons by just popping online and getting to a zone. Now they have to spend time trying to get a group then have enough time once they get a group to do the progression. YEah easy for those who play 6 hours a day every day. Not so easy for folks logging in a couple of hours a day.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Actually, Daybreak's trick to peg xp chunks to achievements (which may be considered a bonus as opposed to a requirement) is two-fold: (1) players gain satisfaction from completing expansion content and/or (2) players gain fulfillment from the long grind.

The devs have long stated that they don't want players to stay in old expansion to grind (e.g. Gribbles HAs, EoK FM, or GMM) so the increased threshold would penalize that sort of activity.
  13. Mazame Augur

I much be in a different world. Most the people I know that box are more than happy to drop boxes for real players that ask to join.

Many people that do not get invited back to group is not because of people box. it because they preform like crap. If you can't play your toon and join a group you will get added to an ignore list.

many of the comments that I reading on the forms is people QQ saying that people wont help them. But for each one of those people some one else post how easy something is.

It makes one question is it too hard or too easy. Is it soloable or do people need a group.

I see a many people posting that it the Raider that are able to get stuff done. Yet I disagree yes raid gear is an upgrade put it not a make or break thing. I have a raid toon. I also have a non raid toon. I have completed progression on both.

My chanter gear is https://eq.magelo.com/profile/2257546
    Looking at it most my gear is 5k-6k hp range. my Neck is 3.4k hp (I should upgrade it). I have been lazy and not farmed many augs so I am def lacking in that department. 25.6k aa so no where near max.

What is my point ? simple I was able to do progression on my chanter I molo'ed some of the tasks. I joined different groups for others.

Rather than sitting and waiting for ppl to do things for me I just go and get it done. I invite people to join me and say I am doing X anyone want to come. any Time i say Looking for group I get no response. I think it because people don't want to join a group where there is no plan. When i say doing X task any one want to join me I get people to help.
  14. Cicelee Augur

1. Devs spend time creating lore, tasks, quests, etc. They want to see it used. They want to feel like their work is meaningful and is looked at. Sitting in one corner just mindlessly killing trash is not allowing players to experience all the work they put into it.

Imagine making a four course dinner. You spend two hours getting everything perfect in your eyes. You give it to your spouse and children. They take two bites and say "OK I am done" and run off. How do you feel with all that work you put into creating this meal?

2. Raiders will be playing throughout the year due to weekly raids. Their monthly subscription, however they pay for it, will be there. Casuals need content to do throughout the year to maintain subscriptions. If a casual hits max level and AA within the first two months, why would the casual want to pay for another seven months? They did everything that they wanted to do. Cancel your subscription, come back in December. Lost revenue for DBG. So you increase the amount of XP required. If you only want to mindlessly kill, then you can do that all year to get max AA. Year long revenue for DBG.

Now I am not saying all casuals only grind on trash. Many do progression. But for those that do, there is incentive to do progression and appreciate the work devs put into the game.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If we can't agree that DBG intended to set up XP gain this way, we're done. You're lost in the weeds and I am not spending any more time trying to bring you back.
  16. WorriedinNorrath Elder

One person posts their opinion in the Vet forums. The usual 10-15 forum regulars and their sock accounts immediately counter. Anyone else see this pattern?
  17. Tappin Augur

A trick is not physiological manipulative.
  18. Tappin Augur

What is the point of going out moloing? Kill a dozen mobs and see no real difference in experience. The OP is doing exactly what DBG wants... do progression or nothing at all. So why do you get mad when he decides to do nothing?
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They need to keep the game alive. The achievements (figuratively and literally) and sense of fulfillment targets the reward centers of the brain.

If the game is too easy, the game will feel like Free Realms (merely cosmetic) and die.

The devs are constantly trying to strike a balance.
  20. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

A dozen mobs will knock out a couple Merc tasks. Do this for a couple nights and you'll have several zones done. All it takes is a quick hail before you start grinding mobs and you'll get a whole lot more XP while you kill. Like I said in one of the other 10 threads, I soloed Mines and CC without a merc, the content is not that hard, you just need to make an effort to do it.