Griklor the Restless - Bethun Brewbeard

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hitty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Hitty Augur

After reading so often that these missions are so easy, I came to the conclusion that something must be very wrong. Either all are ubah raiders or there is missing some game changing intel.

1. Griklor and his adds target the non-tanks
    - why they target them and why the tanks to not get any aggro back is beyond me, no single named, regardless if T1 or T2 made such problems. This happens always when Griklor is on the ground and several adds are there too. No AE-Taunt function works properly anymore. Is there a bug in the taunting at moment? A mage pet is utterly useless in that case too, like most other pets even with taunt on.

2. Griklor on the floor
    - out of any not-known reason, sometimes Griklor simply stays endless in the skies and sometimes he comes down and does not leave the ground anymore while several adds are beating on the group

Are the adds % dependent? Burning him hard added 3 adds (but after around 60-70%) and this was too much to handle.

Is this AE sleet ice only safe at Bethun or at a circle (which is both horrible because of moving and simply healing through it seems more a suitable option when avoidance fails most of the time)?
  2. Petalonyx Augur

Griklor is about the least friendly mission for pet tanks ive seen.

Griklor and the adds have PC > pet aggro rules. This means that no matter how high your pet is on hate, the mob will target ANY pc in melee range, even if it has next to zero hate.

Pets will stick to the flying invulnerable Griklor like glue. Pet commands need to be used, but at maximum range (when griklor is opposite side) the pets become unresponsive to commands.

Pets lose their minds entirely when Griklor drops below about 25%. That's when low hp aggro sets in, and pets become even more stuck to invul mob. They wont tank adds in this state.

I try and manage this on my mage with a macro that summons pet, /pet stop, and /pet regroup, but it seems to do nothing once low hp sets in.

Some things that have helped me while boxing this mission
    1) dont trigger emotes to bring griklor down unless u are ready. If you have adds, just ignore griklor.
    2) ignore all other emotes and just heal thru AOE.
    3) its generally preferrable to dps griklor first if you have adds. It takes less to get him back in sky than to kill adds at 50% health (or so it feels).
  3. Szilent Augur

Tank classes have a "Harmonious" self-buff that agros their target when the tank is healed. Targeting each new mob on xtar long enough to get healed once should be enough to make sure that, once they warp out of the ruins, the orcs land on the tank.

The hail is negatable by damaging Griklor to make him fly again quickly, so's he never casts it. When Griklor lands, he's #1 priority for damaging. Go back to killing orcs once he's in the air again.

Once Griklor is dead, /opening the chest wins the mission. Adds will depop without having to kill them.

If he gets stuck in the air at 1%, mission's "smurfed". Go "/say leave" to Bethun and get a new instance.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Use group commands, first of all. Set your group tank and MA.

Before you start the mission, have the group leader target Griklor and have the group leader type /marknpc 1. This puts a target ring on the ground and makes it easier to find Griklor and stay underneath him when he throws the aura.

Forget achievements for now. Focus on killing the adds quickly. When Bethun enters the fort, keep an eye on her. She will put up a large red cone to protect you from the freezing sleet AE. Stand in this cone/aura until it dissipates. You can also drag adds and Griklor into this aura. If you fail to kill adds fast enough, they will war cry. This is an AE stun and the orcs power up. Adds are the priority (in most of ToV, in fact). Burn the adds down so you have time to knock Griklor off his griffon.

Good luck.
  5. aozs Augur

This mission is easy if you have high dps because it lets you skip mechanics and spend most of the time waiting to knock Griklor off his mount. It's quite a bit more challenging with low dps.

Not sure if adds are % dependent. The scripting for this mission seems kinda wonky. I typically don't burn the boss, and usually only see 1 add pop at a time. But on some runs, I've seen up to 3 pop at once for no apparent reason. Doesn't always happen.

One thing that might help is to grab adds as soon as they spawn. They always spawn in the same place (inside the building in the middle) and take a few seconds to activate. It can make things a bit less chaotic to get the jump on them before they just show up in the middle of the group hitting a healer or something.
  6. Hitty Augur

Thanks, I will try that. DPS helps for sure enormous. The T2 named are horrible hard, but changing to 2H on the tanks is enough to make them easy again as long as they get killed in the time frame of having all boosters and discs up. Sad that everything is only DPS-based again.

For Griklor on the ground I was still suprised that the guy is not going up. I damaged him but he stayed on the ground. I will do that now with 2HS like the T2 named.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Conversely, I find waiting for the orcs to pop on me to be a huge relief. I don't have to go grab them and can focus on Griklor. My biggest gripe is that the orcs, 99% of the time, get stuck on building geometry.
  8. enclee Augur

This is my issue with it as well. It takes them forever to warp over. They should have made the door way bigger or the orc smaller.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Just have them run out of the cave in the back. That's where they're really coming from anyway, right? Ry'Gorr Mines?
  10. Szilent Augur

nope, they're the fallen residents of the fort, being animated by the living ice
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  11. enclee Augur

Yea they could do that or just spawn them right outside the door.
  12. Mazame Augur

Rather then pulling them out of the door pull them out the side of the building where the wall has fallen down.. The path-ing is much better and they don't get hung up on the wall.

As for when the adds spawn you have 2 different triggers I believe.
    1st is time based.
    2nd is when he emotes calling for help. He normally will call for help between the 1st and 2nd "get under him emote" If you fail the get under him emotes and he stays up longer then he may emote for more adds again.
    If your not going in and pulling the adds when they spawn then they wont always aggro. This can cause then to stack up. It best to run in and grab them as often as you can to make sure they are not stack up.

As for him flying up / staying down it based on his HP. From what I understand is the script want him to fly up at least X amount of times so if your Burning him to fast you will see him land some time only for a sec or less. How every if your taking to long on your dps then he many stay down longer before flying back up.

The best way I can describe it would be.
    1st time he lands he will stay down for 20 sec.
    2nd time he lands he will check to see if he Below say 80% life if yes he will fly right back up if not he will stay down for 20 sec.
    3rd time he check to see if he below 60% life and if yes he will auto fly back up. if not will give you another 20 sec.
    4th landing will check if he below 40%

I not sure on the exact % as I not focused on it that much But the Idea is there that if you dps him below the % for the check he will auto fly back up.
  13. AppleSplatter Journeyman

1. There is no taunting bug that I'm aware of, but I only play Paladin so I'm unsure about Warrior and SK. I've never had problems taunting the adds in Griklor's mission. The adds in Velk's mission are another story, however. FYI, if you have "several" adds up at a time you are going to have problems. We burn down the adds first because they do some nonsense if there are 3 of them up. You also lose out on the achievement.

2. I've never had a bugged mission. Griklor comes down after the second emote as long as the person that was emoted is walking underneath him.

Final thought, if Bethun is doing the aura to protect you then kill adds first and then run to the aura. If you have adds+Griklor summoning your tank while the tank runs to aura you are in for a bad time. Just kill them first then go.

Final final thought; no idea if the adds are %hp based. Our rule of thumb is kill adds first and just tank the namer while the adds are killed. We've failed a bunch of times when we've tried running to bethun's aura with adds killing us, and we've died when we burned the namer instead of the adds. We changed our method and it's pretty easy for us now. We also go underneath griklor every single time if possible. If you miss an emote, it will cause problems later.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Agreed. Not always feasible to do, but a better method nevertheless.

Not in my experience. The instant he hits 84% on the first drop he flies. Then on second drop the instant he hits 70% he flies.

This might be correct but I haven't parsed it out. By this time I am busy burning adds. Thanks for the info!
  15. Hitty Augur

this mission is really crazy...
    I ALWAYS get a min of 2-3 on me even after killing them in EVERY round.
    In one round I burn Griklor for around 25% - so its fast pace. But somehow always on the second turn when he comes down then the damage output gets into the extreme and all two tanks are history fast. Besides it is one of this lame missions which need a rezz in the GH - travelling (wasting time) around to get all together and skip the task to try a new one again (what a crap design - why can't they simple let all rezz inside the "dead" mission? Another way to remove money and stretch time - which does not enhance game experience at all...).

Back to the mission:
    There must be some special mechanics inside...

a) burning him too fast -> spawns more adds but always later on (%-based at a addon drop phase)
    b) combo of adds + Griklor + Sleet of rain does some kind of additional damage output at around 45-50%
    c) leaving out a round or not getting him down seems to be connected to the number of adds in the add-call-phase (can anybody confirm that?)

If c) is true then I do not wonder. Never get Griklor down in the first try, always need more than one try.

Running to Bethan to protect from Ice Sleet does nothing btw. - there is a kind of restless ice dot icon and it kills regularly the whole group at that point and wipes us all the time. Missing a kind of last point somehow.

There seems to be a minimum DPS which helps to go around of all these annoying mechanics. Which one is it? Anybody can tell their SDPS in this mission?
  16. Hitty Augur

Success - this was really nasty... many thanks for all the help in all the posts here!
    Two tanks down while Griklor is at 3% and 2 adds up - managed to get through with the last bits of DPS capability while most where OOM (Druids are such mana suckers..)...

The survivors got the Achievements "Stay warm" but at least all got "Don't Cry". The tanks cry themselves into their sleep for not getting the achievement despite they got the spanking... :oops:

A nice surprise at the end of the mission -> doing all ToV-missions in a row if not top end makes more then sense:

1. EW-Mission - gives Aug3 Luminous Restless Ice I (1% Damage/Healing Boost)
    2. GD-Mission - gives Aug3 Luminous Restless Ice II (3% Damage/Healing Boost)
    3. Velks-Mission - gives Aug3 Luminous Restless Ice III (5% Damage/Healing Boost)
    4. Kael-Mission - gives Aug3 Luminous Restless Ice IV (7% Damage/Healing Boost)

Here some facts or better help for all the casuals and groupers who are not so Ubah:

- Griklor is partly coming down without even the need to run behind his circles. While the group had enough to do with the adds, he simply joined after some rounds for a bit of additional spanking

- the adds SUMMON and they do it quite often - how that aggro handling works in this mission, no real clue, but this is not normal - as long as every tank had a mob on it, no problem - in that moment where taunt-spells / AE-Taunt should apply - they seemed not working quite well like used to be in the normal game outside of these missions (or is the SK aggro still bugged?)

- adds can be mezzed at least at the later phases (didn't try to push/root, but perhaps this works too - that would make the whole mission really easy - like the Fight Fire one in TBL)

- some nasty DoTs are cast which always killed the group in combination with the summon ability of the adds, all group members at different places is a bad thing to heal. Some kind of "restless ice"-icon was blinking but there was no time for looking closer - group was around 20-30% hp mostly while this was active. Gameparse only says something about "killed by ... adds".

- getting adds instantly vs. letting them warp through the wall - no real clue - in the first part it was really easy while getting them directly - at the end while Griklor was down so often it was easier to let them come

- there seems no real fixed percentage for the adds, again there were partly 2-3 adds at once. Only this time the group did a mega burn from the start - completely buffed and with all possibilities we got him at first touch down to around 65-70%, but then it slowed down very much. Gina gave some nasty 57k SDPS which is due to all these ups/downs and killing adds

- Tucohs method to get the important guys in the extended target is a nice idea, thank you for that one

- setting all up in the guild hall, getting the task by one fellow, port all down and into the mission was a big advantage here - because it was so close on the edge (I wished they were 115 and the new gear would boost them a bit more)

The group (Dru/Clr/Enc/War/Sk/Mag all 114) was maximum buffed with all buffs available from all classes.

All classes including the pets had on it
    - Druids healing alliance
    - Druids Reptile Skin
    - Clerics Shining/Anticipated Intervention
    - Clerics DI
    - Enchanters AA Buff Series (Glyph/Veil/Reactive/Rune Eldritch/Banishment)
    - all pets buffs and mitigates (Enc/
    - all pets had ALL pet toys L114 on them (arms, plate, jewels)
    - Shamans Dragonmagic Potion

Mage
    - used Firebound Orb

Warrior (Main Tank) had
    - Clerics Divine Guardian
    - Rogues Toxicity

SK (Tank 2)
    - Druids Swarm of Flies/Wrath of Wild/Bear Spirit

Fellowship
    - fellowship bundle with additional boosts are dropped around Bethan for additional amplifiers.

Needless to say that all Burns and Mitigation discs are running from the first contact with Griklor which kicked him down to 65-70%.

Most of this I normally don't even need for T2 named (except DI, Shining, Healing alliance, Enc AA Buff Series and perhaps the Dru/Clr Divine Guardians) or even the GD mission, which was much easier then the EW mission.

Perhaps these are some ideas for the people who will try it and are on the limits...

I wonder how to do Velks and Kael - they wiped the group with even stranger effects. Lacking DPS is really cruel - T2 gear should have started at L112. But only 30% to go for L115 - then these mission are surely not the big problem anymore. This is with TBL group gear only.
  17. Hitty Augur

Additional assumption:

The adds cast "War Cry" which has a 2,5s stun part. If that results in wiping aggro then this would be a reason. All who went down got the "War Cry".
  18. Szilent Augur

I wonder if you're focusing much too hard on surviving. War, SK, Dru, Mag, Enc can all (potentially) churn out real good DPS, and even the one cle DoT can do good work in ToV. It's been truly said the best status debuff to put on a mob is "dead."
  19. Hitty Augur

Yes, I am completely with you. But I have no clue what to change. I have optimized everything on DPS the last two expansions. The sustained SDPS of the group is around 400k-550k, the Burn gets up to 1,2M more or less. Cleric undead AA-damage is used, but never measured it.

War: like Tucohs setup with dual wield or 2H TBL -> max ca. 120k (with big luck...)
    Shd: 2H GMM & Harm/Leechtouch -> max ca. 680k on TBL named (depending on which one)
    Mage: focus on Many/Pet combos -> max. ca. 380k on TBL named
    Dru: mixture of DoT/Nukes with partly remote healing functions & boost -> max. ca. 250k on TBL named
    Enc: Nukes and boost -> max ca. 320k on TBL named
    Clr: Undead-AA -> never measured

Somewhere is either a big mistake or it is simply the 30% gap of focus items and the better DPS of raid weapons and Rk.III spells.

What is the typical burn in ToV with TBL gear nowadays of a group geared crew?
  20. Szilent Augur

that's probably not bad burns (warrior is suspect, 120k maybe about expectation for steady no-burns dual wield Anglebrace+Secretdawn. druid is suspect, using Twincast spell?), but maybe it's a sustainey thing. It's not just the HT that matters for the SK, for instance.

...you've described a reallllly stable group in several threads, are these all your characters that you're playing? The tools you use for such an endeavor would majorly change what feedback would be appropriate