Attack cap?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dewey, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Dewey Augur

So there is a max attack of 1158. However, my attack number is well over that. I hear some people that say that it still does something. I hear others say it does nothing.

Like AC there's a soft cap.

Anyways, please educate me. I thought I saw a bug where the attack value was left off of the item. However; if it caps at such a low number why add it to spells, items, etc?

Can someone please explain. Does more attack help or is it just a waste of time? For instance I always got the shammy run speed over flight of eagles since the shammy run speed had an attack buff.

Anyways, I'm looking for help. Please explain attack and the cap.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Worn attack has a cap. Spell(buff)-based attack is a different animal.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

Atk is "soft capped" when it skews the randomness of your hit amounts be completely max hits instead of low hits. The number it takes to do that depends on the comparison of your Atk versus your target's AC. Depending on what you're fighting, that can either be trivial to pass (low level content) or nearly impossible (raid bosses).
    eepok likes this.
  4. Schadenfreude Augur

Easiest way to check if you're hard capped is with the LDoN slot 3 augmentations.
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Type_3_augmentations
    If you can remove those and your displayed attack doesn't drop you're at/over the cap.
    svann likes this.
  5. Derka Power Ranger

That was how I did it and thought it was capped up until recently noticing capped attack increasing by using a Gorowyn Fortified Drink (+58 heroics). That totally explains attack discrepancies between groupers and raiders. Higher heroic str for example raises your cap. Would love some confirmation on the matter so as to not spread misinformation hehe
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

You get ATK (Left / on Sheet) from Weapon Skill, Buffs, Worn Attack on Gear (to a cap), some AAs, and your total STR value. There is no hard and fast ATK "Cap" as far as I know, dunno where the 1158 number came from. If you are adding any amount of hSTR you are going to see some ATK increases as a result due to directly raising your total strength as long as you cross a minimum increment threshhold.
    Szilent likes this.
  7. Bederper Journeyman

I’m guessing people are trying to work out which ToV type 7 augs to equip. Given these don’t have +ATK on them and the old EOK / RoS ones that are being replaced did.

if I check my Magelo profile it says 1741/1450. Does that mean I can comfortably shed 250 odd points of +ATK (5ish augs) for some improved stats? Without impairing my attack ?
  8. Szilent Augur

yes
  9. ROFL@mycorpse Journeyman

No.

Check your accuracy number. I think that second number is what your accuracy is and not a cap.
  10. Nniki Augur

On Magelo, it's just listing your worn total over the worn cap (250 + Enhanced Aggression + Hero's Fortitude), not your offense and accuracy attack values.
  11. Bederper Journeyman

So if I’m 290 points (1741-1450) over my worn ATK cap isn’t Szilent correct? If I drop some Augs with +ATK, then my offense and accuracy numbers shouldn’t move (all other things remaining the same).

Right?
  12. Schadenfreude Augur

You are well over the worn attack cap, even if you were to grind out every possible rank of Hero's Fortitude (1550) you'd still be comfortably over. The confusion arises when players add - for want of a better term - buff attack and see the UI number rise so assume they still need all those +attack augs.

Trivia: the Avatar proc from the Primal ST weapons counts as worn attack. Work that one out.
  13. Schadenfreude Augur

From your Magelo you're well over the worn attack cap (1660/1450). You could work on completing Hero's Fortitude which would increase that by 100 but you would still be well over.

There's no cap to what you can add from non-item sources like the potion you clicked.
  14. Zanarnar Augur

Which gives them a finite lifespan. (most people will be at their worn attk cap after a few dozen PoTime clears. (depending on luck w/ drops and bidding) IF not, LDoN will sort it out for sure. I think it was intentionally done that way so people didn't feel the need to continue using them forever.
    Szilent likes this.
  15. Derka Power Ranger

Thanks for the clarification. I'm mostly just trying to take advantage of the extra attack on gear. If heroic strength raises attack, I'd rather run +heroic str type 3s than +attack. Will have to play around with it moving forward. I need to update magelo also haha I did obtain the last few ranks of hero's fortitude
  16. roth Augur

I use a few spell slot 3’s, the stone tear, a dodge aug ...

I’m not aware of any slot 3’s with heroics, unless it was an old LDoN aug that got caught up in the mod2’s being rolled into heroics.
  17. Nniki Augur

18. Schadenfreude Augur

I only have a free account but Magelo sync does all that for you based on what you actually have in game so you just need to run that.