Best Expansion in YEARS

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zekzerk, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Cailen Augur

picking my butt waiting for ear quest and raids to go live because everything else done except collections...…. ie it's too damn easy/lacks enough content. No type 3's, No achievements for skill caps etc etc etc
  2. Szilent Augur

How cool would it be if doing the Master of Ring of Scale achievement were the best way to level from 105 up to 110 ? Ditto Master of the Darkened Sea 101-105. Instead of all those projects being just some side pursuit, while real leveling most efficiently done turning the same room full of skeletons to paste 400 times
    Deathly likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

I don't know if I figured this out or not, but I found that if I run the target more than 1000 feeto r whatever, the attack fails and he doesn't rush anyone.
  4. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

how cool would it be if both were a viable option =).

i'm all about the stance that casuals have gotten exactly what they asked for, an entire expansion focused on them.... no challenge or no difficulty whatsoever. except when IVU potion/clicky fades at an inopportune time... no progression / flagging *requirement* to access content... and as such people should quit their complaining about exp from mob kills not being outrageous.

but lets face facts... some people prefer the grind to the questing aspect of the game and there's nothing wrong with that. at this point, nothing new is being said in this thread and it should get locked up so we can all get on with our lives.
    Szilent likes this.
  5. aozs Augur

To me, the main problem is that there's no bigger challenge waiting at 115, as the most efficient way to level is to complete all the content.

I can understand making progression part of the leveling experience - that's what WoW and FF14 do, and it works pretty well for them. However, the mission completion achievements give such huge chunks of exp that you're almost forced to do them to get to 115 in reasonable time, and there's no 115-exclusive missions waiting to present a challenge for max level characters. By the time you hit 115, there's nothing left.

I think there are many ways this expansion could have catered to both casual and hardcore crowds. Something as simple as 2 or 3 difficult, 115-exclusive missions would go a long way (along with restructuring the reward system, ie making leveling missions drop t1 only, while 115 missions drop t2+tradeskill).

Personally, I'll likely be using my EQ time this year to level a caster team after my main team finishes ToV.
    Elyssanda, Szilent and Tucoh like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Don't bother. Nothing beats a plate tank (if you were thinking of pet tanking with mages) and even when you stack cast DPS and perfectly execute it, it's still outpaced by melee whose many cooldowns recharge while you're running to the next mob.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

They may have nerfed old expansion xp when a new expansion came out, but they didn't also nerf the NEW expansion xp at the same time...which is basically what they just did.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

The didn't nerf the new expansion they made the amount of XP per level from 111 ~ 115 much steeper. This is a lot more elegant than doing things like completely removing all experience from Old Man McKenzie missions and the things they did to RoF progression.

Basically this puts everyone on an equal footing with no one being able to go back to old content to cheese their way to the new level cap.

Now I am sure that if you insist on grinding you can still do that and as some have said "make a lot more money from loots" so find that grind spot and get to work and maybe you'll be 115 before the next level cap increase
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Whether the amount per kill is reduced or you make the levels "larger", the result is exactly the same. Once you hit 111, the way characters have progressed for 20 f'ing years...killing mobs and grinding xp...is no longer viable. Daybreak decided to do a fundamental shift in how people play this game...and they did it withough getting feedback or even letting us know it was coming. They have decided to force players to play the game they way they want us to play it...instead of letting people play the way they want to play.
  10. code-zero Augur

Well you've simply joined the rest of us then. For 20 years players have done all sorts of things to make the new level all the while skipping over the grind because we always found the grind spots full all the time. So now there's no good grind spots only the rest of the 20 vets don't miss that because we long ago found that doing the progression was the fastest and least boring way to do things.

tl;dr you've learned something that everyone else has known for years
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Midasa and Yinla like this.
  11. Ashreign123 New Member

You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. I leveled 113.5 to 115 through grinding in ros. It looks 5 days (yay work vacation) of about 4 hours a day. So even if I just did grinding from 111 to 115 we are talking 15 days at 4 hours a day or 30 days at 2. I am not a raider. I molo and occasionally do pugs. I dont think 30 days is an unreasonable amount of time at 2 hours a day to hit max level if you refuse to do any progression.

Also let's be honest there is no reason not to at least do most of the mercenary and partisan quests as they are almost all moloable or at the very least duoable. This expansion is one of the most accessible and casual friendly that we have had in years. Kudos to the dev's this is the most balanced and fun expansion I have played since tbm as a casual about 2 hours a day or less player.
  12. Adeus Journeyman

My understand is that if any player is between the boss and the emoted player then it is a fail.

The 100% sure-fire strategy, and how we got it on the first run, is to burn Tijoely so fast he doesn't get the chance to use this mechanic.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Man there are a lot of closed minded people spouting off here. I have played constantly ,no breaks, since 2003. Learned to box early on. Doing tasks while boxing to me sucks. I really hate moving everyone here and there. Plus I find the fun of the game and my goal is getting my lil army geared. Yes I guess that means I loved the grind (when I could see some improvement with out breaking out a calculator). Most expansions I have never even opened up the achievement tabs. I could pretty much care less. That was how I have played since then , until now. With my play time being reduced from 5-7 hours a night to maybe 2 days a week playing 2 hours a day. Things have really changed. I see it as being forced to play they way they want you to. You can argue oh you can still grind it out all you want. I could also cut off one of my arms and still make it through life (although my guitar playing would suffer) but I would rather not.

I just always love it when formquesters love to say "Oh suck it up " because it does not effect them in the least. Go the other way though and Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth!
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL that is a nerf.
  15. code-zero Augur

I need to proof read my posts better, now I can't remember what my point was :p
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Looking for advice. Where in RoS did you do most of your killing?
    Derka likes this.
  17. Riou EQResource

Based on that time probably Sathir's Tomb, or similar place to that kill amount/speed, though that zone can't handle more then like 1 group at a time without any exp boosting potions or lessons it should be roughly 10 hour levels
  18. Derka Power Ranger

Gorowyn is always empty on my server so I've been head shotting there since 113. Great exp. Your mob options are unhindered at 115 (A lot of 113+ mobs in the rear part of zone)
  19. Natal Augur

They did not nerf anything. What happened is that there was a much larger jump in the xp required to level through 111 (subsequent levels have a % increase in xp required using 111 as a base). That had the effect of making older content much less efficient for leveling even though the actual amount of xp per kill did not change. So, if you were leveling through 110 it would take just as long as it always did. It is only 111 and beyond that takes longer.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  20. Natal Augur

Traditionally the fastest way to level was to kill low level mobs that could be mass killed quickly and efficiently. Preferably those that are just dark blue to your level. Pre nerf GMM would have been extremely efficient for doing this, if they had left it in that state.

I am not sure if anything in RoS really fits that description, although you can kill stuff there quickly of course, would a solid dps group.