Tips/Strategy's -- Icebound Avatar - (Kael Drakkel Mission)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Daedly, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

We use raid geared folks, so keep that in mind.

We generally take 1 super good tank, 2 really good healers, and dps. All the dps we can cram into the group.

Slow, controlled dps on the Avatar; kill the adds when they come in. If going for ach for him killing them, drop em to about 25%. That seems to be the sweet spot. You'll probably have to wait a bit for him to AE the final time. Don't drop him to 60%.

For the second half, we have our healers pound the heals, and we just facemelt him.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Basically the same. Usually it's just me (SK) beating on Avatar for the first part, swapping off on the adds.

Then just blow up Avatar on last part. I save Deflection for then for the swarm of adds that'll cause. Technically, I think you can follow the same strategy as the first part, if you don't feel comfortable with your DPS or tanking.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Note that the avatar is invuln in the second phase until the restless spectators in the first phase are killed. So you can't burn him in the first phase.

Burning in the second phase is a lot of fun though.
  4. aozs Augur

I typically burn in phase 1 as soon as the first giant add comes out, taking care to DPS the boss in small ~5% bursts while burns are running.

I've found this to be more efficient as well. Had 269s of combat time with P1 burn versus 374s saving burns for P2, even though the "burn in P2" strat shaved 30m off the damage total.

The reason is that you need to get through a substantially meaty 250-300m worth of HP for the 5 giants + 2 axes + 40% boss hp in P1, while in P2 you can straight burn the 60% boss HP. If you do the P2 full burn, you'll be left standing over the boss's corpse with most of your burns still active.

Additionally, I found it easier while learning the mission to burn in P1. Reason is to get through the phase before my warrior's Ultimate Stand disc fades. P2 is significantly easier to heal since there's no ducking mechanic or axe aoe to worry about.

Edit: forgot to add, this is with a 6-box team. There are probably more optimal ways to handle this with a group of actual players
    Tucoh likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd suggest bring a 2nd healer, even a hybrid can help heal the tank for a few seconds to keep the tank up if the healer gets emoted.

Definaltely make sure that all adds are dead at 65%. We had a giant and a sword up and they port with the named, named seemed to wipe but the adds didn't which resulted in member of the group being summoned and killed one by one.

The mission itself isn't that hard, just need to take it slow and steady and get the adds in part 1 killed quickly. Part 2 the adds don't need to die, but you may still want to kill them off as they spawn to avoid a wipe. Part 1 is deffinatly the hardest part get past that and you should be home and dry.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  6. Daedly Augur

So, i held off on putting more work into this mission because i didnt want to lose the experience from all the deaths. However, someone told me the mission was unboxable, even though i knew Tucoh already had, i felt the need to prove them wrong. Even though I was only about 20% into level 114 with my team. I also wanted to beat it before any possible need in difficulty could happen.

I spent about an hour creating a setup that didn't have any dots, swarm let's and regular pets. My first attempt I tried the slow approach in the first phase. I got past it but had made a mistake and someone died at which point I took too long to engage.

So with the first phase figured out, I tried burning my way through second phase. After many mistakes of not hitting burn keys, hitting the wrong burn keys, forgetting to hit attack all together. I beat it on my 7th or 8th attempt.
    Yinla, Syylke_EMarr and Mintalie like this.
  7. Raccoo Augur

I haven't run into this problem. I've used pets/swarm pets with my mage/shaman/necro, and maybe SK. Was the pet emoted? Did the pet get DTed or just the owner? Was the pet tanking?

I back my character away while ducked because sometimes the animation showing that I'm ducking doesn't work until I do so.
  8. Mintalie Augur

Upon checking the logs it did not show that the pet was emoted, however it also didn't show that a player was emoted, but the punishment was given just the same. I'm thinking perhaps it was due to having two mages in the group, although one of our group members had previously heard of a possible pet bug.
  9. Kobrah Augur

First phase. DPS big guy until add pops.. break off and kill add .. duck when your name is called… rinse repeat until 60% ..

Second phase. DPS big guy until add pops … break off and kill add … rinse repeat until dead.
    Second phase alternate. DPS big guy with big, big booms ignoring adds until dead.

Beat mission at 112 with Paladin, beastlord, and bard trio box (alt+tab). All GROUP gear from TBL / GMM. Bard was wearing T1 TBL since he was silver at the time. 1 rogue merc and 2 clerics (1 made mission success inconsistent). Got my hands on a gift ticket for expansion for my cleric's account. Real cleric make's it a walk in the park now.
  10. Tappin Augur

I think the easiest route is to use 1 real cleric and shaman if available. If no shaman available, I would use a cleric merc.

Phase 1 - only tank melee dps on boss, stop when adds pop and kill them (can save mobs hps for AoW aoe thing).

Phase 2 - can repeat phase 1 or if you have raid dps, burn him.
  11. Triconix Augur

If you're group gear I suppose 2 healers is the way to go. Raid gear seems like a waste. Normal set up from us is War + SK (2H DPS mode) + Zerker + Sham + either BST, Monk, or Ranger to fill out the remaining two slots depending who in our fellowship is on. We have never done this with any healer beside a sham as the only and primary healer.

To get the achievement it was me normally tanking 3 giants + AoW until emote + any adds that spawned which we killed. Then we did the remaining 2 giants + AoW + adds. Once that was done and he ported up, we melted him easily.
  12. Hitty Augur

mh.. 8 hours later, about 11 wipes (felt like 20-30, Gameparse must be wrong.. :( ) and now its done. With nearly everybody OOM except the SK.
    .. found out the hard way that the tank can get the "bend the knee-part" too. But it seems, this happens only if another class gets aggro - even for a short time. I had once a bend - after changing to the Warrior ONLY care for Avatar and all others ONLY care for the adds then it worked relatively smooth without another "bend" for the tank. The only problem was lacking DPS, 2 deaths due to adds not getting fast enough from the casters, battle rezz and after that it was done.

The crew did full burn on the adds in the first part - the second phase was more the relaxed part - pick an add, kill, help main tank for Avatar, rinse, repeat. The DPS of the main tank was exactly so that after an add has been killed, the next popped.

Dru/Clr/Mag/War/Sk/Enc can do it in group gear, but all Level 115, only Warrior maxed out with AA. It is fully depended on DPS again. I tried it often enough in the past. But meanwhile I have Rk.II spells (at least the most parts), the 5% damage augment from the other 3 missions, more AA in the most relevant spells (sucks, that the new spells are kicking all AA-boosts over board, until spent a minimum of 100AA in each spell) and T2/TS gear, Warrior with dual wield as compromise of safety and DPS, Sk with 2H for maximum DPS, even the casters got in with 2H after being completely OOM, done TBL complete for all achievements (carpet/mask and their bonus) and evolved the 3-4 TBL items on the two tanks up to nearly 10k. Tanks got Velium Infused TS Group Weapons for boost. And all Aug5/7 from TBL got an update too. We used pets but only for the adds. The group needed roughly an hour to crawl through that endless mission.

So its possible with a low DPS group to box it, but it is a pita... get a bunch of fresh pants after that....

After that I tried Velketor - could never box it with that crew. But with that tiny add of DPS from the Augment of the first 3 missions (some got dragged through with help of a single raider) and the last bit of AA/Spell upgrades we got through the Velks-Mission smooth like butter without any deaths. Added only the fellowship bonus for a bit more DPS and this time the groundspawn was reliable cast - besides added Druid push/root for safety.

That proofs my point - like I said before - the missions are so sharp on the edge for group gear that its highly recommendable to be at the top with AA in the important areas. These carry the group above the small ridge to success. After that it gets exorbitant easier.

If I would had some ToV Ultrarare weapons or even Raid weaponry, this Mission would be a cake walk. But with group gear its a long long endurance test...
  13. Daedly Augur

You went in with one actual DPS class, 2 tanks, 1 support, 1 pure healer and a druid. To me, you didn't prove that you need top tier group gear. It looks like you actually proved the mission can be won with a suboptimal group geared group. Which is a good thing.
  14. Cloud the Third Augur

Really simple event.
    1) Don't die to duck emote
    2) Save burns for 2nd part
    3) Kill all adds before he ports to part 2
    4) If all adds are dead when he ports you can just full burn him to dead at the start of part 2
  15. Tucoh Augur

Your problem isn't gear or AAs, it's execution. Focus on improving that and ignore gear and AAs. If you're sixboxing, improve your setup. If you're grouping, help your team mates improve.
  16. kookoo Augur

is the boss still avoid pets in melee range?
  17. Hitty Augur

I disagree completely. The Kael mission was possible with DPS adds in the 8 hour session. Going OOM or not is a sure sign if it runs smooth.

For the Velks part I got the Lichen, which was the main key. But it was also the first time that enough DPS was there to go beyond the first mob and into the second to get the lichen This was not possible before (with the same setup, the same spot, only different gear and more firepower). I always got the adds too early and group got killed by the adds.

So yes, it proves my point very well!
  18. Bronut Augur

Boxed all 3 cheev

Daedly likes this.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

The SK is essentially a 2nd healer in this makeup.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

It's random. With only 6 toons the odds of one being "picked on" is high.

If the warrior is tanking, ducking is not a big deal unless his life also ticks over to spawn an add during that time which you have to wait to pick up.

Flash if the healer has to duck.