If EQ added more tradeskills

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sirene_Fippy, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Just for fun, I think it would be cool to come up with more tradeskill ideas.

EQ probably won't but whatever.

Here's some to start:
    • Taxidermy (necro only)
    • Composition (bard only - I guess maybe this is too close to bards having research?)
    • Palm reading / tarot cards (lol) SHM / ENC?
    • Woodworking..? I think some stuff like this exists but may have been put in fletching/tailoring
  2. SunDrake Augur

I loved Woodworking in EQ2.

Edit: I enjoyed the entirety of the EQ2 trade skill system. I know it had issues at various points in time, but it was endearing.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Ceramics. Everquest can finally have toilets.

P.S. I typed in Everquest and it showed up as misspelled. Am I the only one who laughs at that?
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's EverQuest. Browser still marks it, but just saying.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

Ceramics = Pottery.

Ever made a 'Ceramic lining'? Green ceramic band? Etc.

Considering fletching has recipes for tables and other furniture, it is already woodworking.

Taxidermy sounds interesting. I suppose it could be used to create various shrunken heads, charms etc. And plushies for housing.
    Zaray likes this.
  6. Aanuvane Augur

Isn't taxidermy the hats and the stuffed animal heads?
  7. SunDrake Augur

One thing that I've always kinda wished EQ1 had was tags on who created an item. It was always fun to see your work out there, or find an item that someone had created and then seek them out for other work.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Like signed art. Interesting.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverQuest already has a list of crafts that covers almost all of the typical manufacturing trades an adventurer might need & a lot of what I could think up would already fit under those existing headings.

Here's a few I thought of.

Functional:

Stonecraft - knapping / chipping stones to make arrow heads, flint for throwing-axe heads, rounding pebbles to use as catapult shot, sling shot, most things made from stone blunt quickly if edged so these would be best suited as consumables / ammunition for other weapons.

Glassware - though this is often connected to Pottery or Jewelcraft it's very much its own skill, glass-smelting, glass-blowing, glass-sculpture, could be used to create functional glassware from sand, bottles, vials, eyeglasses,

Artistic:
    Painting - I guess this could be used to create art for house items some of which could act as portals.
    Sculpture - A range of different materials could be used for this, wood, stone, metal, glass, clay, could be used to create shamanistic totems (perhaps some types could be used as Trophies) along with art pieces.

Esoteric:
    Crystallography - creation of crystals by combining metal or mineral compounds with a chemical action, i.e. distillation from acid solution, oxidisation, smelting/slow-cooling or chemical-driven growth, these can be imbued with unique properties such as acting as conduits for different types of energy, magic or elemental forces perhaps allowing the creation of unique augments with effects that can ward off certain damage types or infuse with certain energies.

Doll-making - voodoo dolls, shamanistic totems, carved statues or animals things that could bestow blessings from the spirit or animal world.

Papercraft - an earlier poster mentioned tarot-card reading, these could be something a paper-crafter would make, portolans an item that may reveal otherwise hidden doorways or pathways in an area, guide you to collectibiles, ability to see otherwise hidden places / interact with otherwise non-interactable geometry like stairs/walkways, rooms through hidden doors/floors by way of an alternative to keys) so you could only pass through to certain places with the right map in your inventory.

Tattooing - the craft of drawing images onto skin, either to create wards to reduce detrimental effects or for purely cosmetic effect, I recall how in Planescape: Torment the nameless one could acquire tattoos than imbued him with addition abilities or buffs, either timed once activated or passive or permanent effects.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  10. Snack Augur

Taking from two other MMOG crafting systems that I liked...

Experimentation like in SWG. So a weapon that has a base damage/delay of 100/30 could be experimented to something like 108/28 (or risk messing it up). Only works if player crafted is top end of group equipment.

Quality % as in DAoC. I know this impacted spellcrafting and alchemy slots on the gear.

Also from DAoC, spellcrafting and alchemy. IIRC, this is how you added stats, procs, effects and ablative procs to equipment. Of course, in this day and age it would be about cramming as much hDex onto an item as possible and giving the best role based proc.

I understand that it would require a complete overhaul of the TS system for those, but a gnome can dream.

Bonus TS idea: TS levels. Vanguard had 3 different disciplines you could level in, adventuring, crafting and diplomacy. You would grind crafting missions to get level on crafting. Before it shut down I had a L47 Sorcerer who was also a L50 Blacksmith. The neat thing about crafting levels was that it gave you the opportunity to get things that were level restricted based on your highest level. I got the L40 mount when I was just L15 as Sorcerer because I had reached L40 as a Blacksmith. That camel was FAST!
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.