Merc DPS Balance Issues

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rilekle, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Bigstomp Augur

When a trash mob has 35,000,000 hp's, 10,000,000 per minute does not seem like a lot.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Again has been stated.. if casters are not properly debuffing mobs.. they run the risk of nukes not landing at all.. which is direct corilation of their dps..

Melee.. have no such penalty.
  3. kizant Augur

Debuffs have zero to do with caster merc doing less DPS.
    Tucoh, Szilent and Sancus like this.
  4. Szilent Augur

melee hits are mitigated many times every second by monster defenses - their AC
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I made the switch. I was running a tank merc and a wizard merc. The wizard was doing 35k DPS with valiant gear in all 4 slots, twin cast aura, tash and MR proc aura set to burn. I think it could sometimes get near 50k DPS, maybe, but not past. With IoG and etc the wizard merc could maybe hit 80k, but thats a stretch. 7/15 on merc sp dmg aa.

With Meanwhile as an ENC I am easily hitting 70k DPS with just my 3 DoTs. I can hit 120k DPS throwing the kitchen sink *without burns*. With burns I am easily 250k DPS.

We did Velks, burned Tjoly for the ACH. ENC, MAG and Wizard in the group. All raid players. The wizard laid down 997k DPS...

100k DPS on a DPS merc that doesn't have DPS AA maybe, but otherwise, yeah, no, thats still kind of weak.

My tank merc can tank now, thats good I guess, but the fact that it's doing 8k DPS as a peak is a pretty big joke. 50k? Maybe I might not scoff. But 8k? I don't care that it's tanking. SKs setup to tank are easily laying down 50k DPS, and that's why they specifically set out to suck at DPS to maximize their tanking, which is oh so much better than a tank merc. I'm used to seeing 150k out of SK and warriors, and 300-400k on rogues when they are not burning.

Oh wait, that's right, my tank merc can't tank. It got 1-rounded by T1 stratos named Glassbeak Stormbreaker 2 weeks ago. ToV is just easier. The named in ToV don't hit as hard as the named in TBL.

I made the switch from a tank merc and a wizard merc to 2 rogue mercs and saw a 240k DPS improvement.

Rogue mercs are not over powered though. They are actually right where the should be, or maybe under powered. They can't tank ToV. They barely out DPS non-DPS classes. The only real problem with rogues is that almost nothing can keep aggro from them. Without burn, they stand around, and with burn merc warriors and mage pets can't keep aggro off of them.

Wizard and tank mercs are a joke. Glad I got through a ToV named with a real cleric and a merc cleric healing a tank merc, that actually seems right, but 8k DPS? Sorry, no, thats way wrong. And 30k DPS from a wizard merc? Come on!

As for cleric. They feel right. I can't say for sure because I am usually around raid tanks, so I'll admit my bias, but they seem to do a pretty solid job. I mean honestly My group geared cleric with all of the most important AA isn't that much better than a cleric merc. Yes, she is better, but the disparity between my cleric and a cleric merc is no where near the disparity between a real rogue, wizard or warrior and a merc rog/wiz/war. The only thing that makes my cleric shine over a merc is the AA abilities. On base healing it's not much difference.
  6. Malore New Member

Rezzing this thread because this is still a problem. Melee DPS mercenaries do significantly more damage than casters. Even when mobs are properly debuffed with Malo/Tash melee mercenaries are five times greater than casters. Caster mercenary DPS needs to be brought up to the level of their melee counterparts.

There was a post awhile back, stating that this problem would be taken care of with the January patch, but that did not happen.
    dreadlord and Zunar like this.
  7. Nadisia Augur

I do agree, mercs need to be balanced and fixed, but in my humble opinion, not like this.
    At least, not that much.

Rogue mercs do way too much DPS (for a merc), while wiz mercs don't do enough. (actually, they're utterly ... crap :p)

And the ressource consumption needs to be fixed too : after a while wiz mercs go OOM (normal for a caster), while rogue mercs in the same situation have infinite endurance.
    Even on burn H24, their yellow bar doesn't move at all.

So imho : increase wiz merc a good bit , reduce rogue merc a bit more, and fix the rogue aggro issue.
  8. Zunar Augur

Well as it is now, only high end tanks are able to use rogue mercs as they are atm, cuz they can build the needed agro from hell to outagro them.
    Some of these tanks also don't want this changed, cuz then they can keep exploiting this dps power all to themselves...
    Let's just put the cards on the table pls.
    Rogue mercs are completly broken. Any other statement is just false.
  9. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I can only tell you my experience. I box a WAR/WIZ/RNG and just reached 114. The RNG has a melee DPS merc with everything maxed. The merc does do a lot of damage according to my parses at ~150k over a few dozen fights, set to balanced, which is considerably higher than either the ranger or the wiz. The ranger matched the merc in dps when I was burning down Monolith the Unstoppable with Pureshot and everything else I could throw in. (I've never used anything to aid boxing other than socials, so that could account for the lack of better dps from my wiz and ranger, but still.) However, my warrior mostly holds agro fine over the merc, only occasionally losing it.

But yes, I switched some time ago from using a caster DPS to the melee once I noticed that the caster wasn't even outdoing my warrior with sword and board when set to burn.