Is it possible to add a hard mode / nightmare mode to AOCs giving new Raids/Items

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Angered, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Angered Augur

AOC
    "I wish to face such hardships of lord Naggy"
    "I wish to face the nightmare dragon Naggy"

The point of this would be to have new encounters against old foes but also challenge us in new ways. But most importantly new items for those eras. We have the zones / mobs / items in place. My question would be can we only modify certain things like "naggy" has more HP , Does more damage etc . Or can mechanics / mobs be added IE Hardmode Naggy spawns fire giants and on nightmare mode has a mana drain for w/e reason. (these are basic ideas to spice up old world)

But most importantly the introduction of new raiding items that you would get on these modes.

Its more of a pipe dream but hey you never know.

its 2020 i am pretty sure if we all came together we could come up with something to spice up EQ. maybe not this idea but something!

Throw in FV rules as well
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

/popcorn
  3. Xhartor Augur

Wouldn't it be easier to just increase drop rates from existing loot tables?
    New itemization sounds like a headache, unless we are talking about VP, that zone need a less weapon based loot tables.
  4. Machen New Member

How about if you want new content, raids and items you just play in eras with new content?
    FubarEQ, Zanarnar and Genoane like this.
  5. Risiko Augur

Is it possible? Yes. Pretty much anything is possible if you throw enough resources at it. When I was working on my , I thought it would be fun to dual wield weapons that have an AoE Mez proc on them. It was cool right up until the first time it proc'd and mezzed me. Doh!
  6. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Or, here is a novel idea...just raid newer content and stop asking for a revamp of 21 year old content? Lots of the dragon encounters from later in the game are 1000 times more fun than naggy, because they have mechanics. Stop re-rolling every time a new TLP server comes out because you are too afraid of change/incompetent at playing this game to try newer stuff. Make it to the later expansions. IF you really do love this game, and are not just trying to relive Classic-PoP over and over again because your life was in a better place 20 years ago and you are trying desperately to get back to that place, then you may find the later expansions are 100 times more fun than the gameplay in Classic-PoP where you sit for 5 minutes between each kill in group content or stand in one place and autoattack/cast 1-3 spells over and over again in raids.

I can only assume that people who are unwilling to play past a certain expansion have some sort of mental defect or are just actually bad at this game. When I hear "there are too many abilities, wahh I don't like it" all I cant think is that the game has progressed beyond your simple mind to be able to proficiently play it. Objectively the game is more fun when there are tons of options as to what your character can do and you are not limited to one or two abilities or spells like you are in the Classic-PoP era.

And for the record, they already did something like this for Nagafen. Heres a link to the level 100 revamp of Lord Nagafen raid.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7173

Have a nice day.
    Yinla, Koniku and Skuz like this.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Hard mode EQ?

Play both EverQuest and indeed.com.
    FubarEQ likes this.
  8. Iyacc Augur

just leave allakhazam open in a half dozen windows across three different browsers and see what it does to your internet traffic. Hard mode for free.
    Meridian and HoodenShuklak like this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hardmode = next expansion's content in last expansion's gear & aa.
    Nightmare mode = next expansions content in 2 expansions ago gear, levels & aa.

No need for revamped extra difficulties of old content, but yes it is possible but the team we have working on this game right now is tiny it has a very very tight schedule & anything outside of what keeps the game running, the lights on, the jobs that the devs have right now is pretty much done of those devs own time, they actually do a lot more of that unpaid self-directed project work than they should be doing just because they love this game & its players.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is what Fables are.
  11. sumnayin Augur

Been awhile since i've seen someone so hellbent on flaming people on forums...maybe you should go somewhere where you don't have to attack people for using a forum properly.
    Risiko likes this.
  12. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Using this forum properly would mean that they would have done the BARE MINIMUM 5 minutes research into Nagafen to realize that they have already done what he is asking. Using this forum properly would mean that they wouldn't ask the development team, who is already stretched thin as it is, to waste time doing something that has already been done.

I was flaming an idea and a mindset, not any person in particular, just to be clear. I have nothing against the OP personally, I just happen to believe that poorly thought out ideas like this one need to be called out for what they are. If you saw what I posted as a personal flame, then maybe it hit a little too close to home for you? Maybe you are of the mindset I described in my post? If so, I feel pity that you will not allow yourself to experience some of the better parts of this game which come AFTER when most of the "I re-roll on every new TLP server and do Classic over and over" crowd stops playing.
  13. Moranis Augur

Many of us HAVE played Live and raided there and found it has too much. Many of us like the simplicity of the 1-60 game, but maybe want a bit more - something new - without the overwhelming amount of stuff at 110.

It's certainly a stretch to ask the devs to do such things, but it's not that outrageous.
  14. Ginix Augur

One or two abilities in classic to PoP huh lol?o_O

Whats funny is I always thought anyone who plays EQ past level 75ish has to be some kinda simp. I'll never understand why you wouldn't just go play WoW, you know that game with millions of people that does everything the newer content tries to do but does it 100 times better.

That's the argument people give for why we don't need a PvP server, (I should just go play a game made more for PvP) so the same should apply for this, right? :D
  15. Aegir Augur

A lot of generalisation here from both sides of the camp!

Yes, there are Emote Raids ala WoW, where you must not step on the red floor - or avoid the yellow beam and what not. But it's not all of the raids post lv 75 that are like that, and definitely not the majority. WoW also has a strict execution rule of order to follow or you will fail - where EQ raids are much more open for different approaches and ideas.

The Classic Era Raids already got a bit buffed by MoTM, which was needed badly at the time when Ragefire Launched. I remember they briefly overbuffed the MoTM on the Bosses in Plane of Sky which was a pretty rough challenge and I think only 2 Guilds managed to kill the Bee Queen across Ragefire and Lockjaw.

So I guess they could be able to give an option for the raid requester to ask for different MoTM mods on the bosses, where the harder tweaked MoTM mods gives more "Epic Quest" - or "Rare Sky Quest" Items