Druid: Nurturing Growth game ending glitch

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sonavaa_Bertox, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Sonavaa_Bertox Elder

1) Cast Nurturing Growth.
    2) Before expiration of the buff, cast Nurturing Growth again.
    *** Spell casting bar opens with full countdown gauge and hangs at this point.
    *** Spell casting bar and spell cast should not happen at all and an error should appear indicating the refresh time has not elapsed and game should continue on.

At this point. The spell casting bar remains stuck on the screen. The player can perform no actions, cannot even quit the game without an error that you can't use this function right now.
    Note: The player is still active. They will rec'v xp for the group. They simply cannot do anything. Merc remains unaffected.

To get control back, you must end task on the game and log back in.
    Reproducable
    Game ending.
    Fanra likes this.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

The spell line has always had a 10000% spell slow to prevent recasting.

1: Decrease Spell Haste by 10000%
    2: Limit Spells: Nurturing Growth
    3: Summon Pet: PCSwmDruS20L096BearBlkRk1 x 1 for 365s
    4: Limit Spells: [Group 5666]
    5: Limit Spells: Nourishing Growth
    6: Limit Spells: Sustaining Growth
    7: Limit Spells: [Group 5966]
    8: Limit Type: Include Non-Focusable

Try /duck (D key) to interrupt casting and return to normal.
  3. Tobynn Augur

Ducking works just fine to interrupt the extended cast time you are experiencing. Always has worked this way since the spell line was first introduced. Not a bug, not game ending.
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  4. FawnTemplar Augur

Ducking has always worked.
  5. Kedra Leafwalker Lorekeeper

Ducking is your friend here.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You can also use /stopcast. In fact, you can go to the Key Bindings in Options and make it a key. My "s" key stops casting.

The advantage to stopcast over ducking is you have to unduck after you duck.

It still is a bug though. Not a game breaking one if you know the work-around but if you don't know it...
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Well it's working how the spell data describes. Let's says it's a terrible and inexplicable UX design to prevent casting a spell before it's allowed and ready again. It's literally entraps (and punishes) the user for pressing a perfectly active button. No other player spell in the game is like this and it should be fixed and forgotten.

Specifically the spell line's Recast time should be changed to match it's Duration and the slot 1 debuff should be removed. I.e. the spell gem should grey out for 5 minutes.

Focusable: No
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 3s, Timer: 20, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 5m (50 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Decrease Spell Haste by 10000%
  8. Sancus Augur

I agree the way it functions now is very awkward, but its purpose is to prevent the spell from permanently locking up a spell gem. As is, high performing Druids only have to mem the spell once every 5 minutes to cast it.

Changing it how you suggest would definitely simplify how it works, but would also effectively nerf the number of spell gems Druids have for other things.
    Fanra and kizant like this.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Why do you say that? A high performing druid can still swap out the spell every 5 minutes with my suggested change.

Take any spell with a long recast time, e.g. Divine Aura, cast the spell, its gem is greyed out for 15 minutes. Swap the spell gem to something else. Cast that other spell immediately.

Ok, I think you mean that re-memming the spell would incur an additional 5 minute cool down, if the druid swaps it out. As it stands, they don't have to wait.

With that all in mind, my new suggestion is simply to change the spell casting slow to a inhibit spell cast (e.g. SPA 357). This way the cast fails of its own accord and doesn't interfere with the players UX. It's possible SPA 357 wasn't around when the spell was designed but it can be fixed that way now.
  10. Sonavaa_Bertox Elder

Spectacular discussion and information. I have a new process for this one spell and thank you all for reminding me that it's possible to interrupt this thing. /thanks!
    Wulfhere likes this.