best server for a noob?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Gnoshious, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Gnoshious New Member

Hi Everyone

I've never played EQ before. I have played other mmo's and back in the day Dungeons and Dragons the good old pen and paper version with rules books that could fill a library.

I want to start playing a ranger and I would like to join a guild. I only have time to be a casual player. Are there any servers that are better than others for new players. I'd like to start off playing the free game and if I get into it, I don't mind paying for expansions. (Not that I've looked into how that all works yet.)

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Gnosh
  2. killswitch87 Journeyman

I'm interested in this as well, returning player here with a fresh EQ install.
  3. hawk73 Journeyman

Bristlebane has a strong server population and great community. Good guild for returning and new players might be The Dark Reign
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you have never played EverQuest previously then I would highly recommend the following:

1. Start a character on one of the live servers (not Firiona Vie, Brekt, Trakanon or Fippy).
    2. Play through the tutorial mode & take your time this will serve as a very decent introduction to how most of the early game systems work & get you familiar with the basics.
    3. Once you have a basic working understanding of the game & perhaps what class you enjoy if you have decided you like what EQ is about so far I would suggest you play on the live server you started on or maybe look at trying the Firiona Vie server to see if that ruleset interests you or the Zek PvP server (which is pretty quiet activity wise but isn't totally dead).

The above can be done free to play.

Should you desire to get grouping with others (live servers are "top heavy" meaning groups as a low level player are almost non-existent as everyone actively playing is near the current level cap), you could either wait for news of the next TLP (time locked progression) server launch (best guess is ETA sometime around March 2020) or you could try a current TLP

TLP require an all-access (subscription) enabled account or Krono to play on them, the most recently launched TLP servers were Selo & Mangler (Selo is a fast progression server not really suited to a new player at this point) Mangler which I think is just starting Shadows of Luclin (the 3rd expansion for EverQuest) would be the better option for a new to EQ player looking to get some grouping though that would require a bit of catching up in levels.
  5. Shanarias Augur

You could also check out Lions Of The Heart Guild on Xegony, which is VERY friendly to new and returning players. But the advice to start in the Tutorial and stay with it until you are quite familiar with the mechanics of the game is a valid and excellent suggestion.
    Nennius and code-zero like this.
  6. Panikker Elder

Recently came back to EQ after a 15+ year hiatus. (Got tired of blizztard games) Tried several live and TLP servers lately and the 99 one also. Settled on Mangler since it has still many people leveling specially on Gfay. I'm trying several classes that I never had a chance to play much since my main back then was a druid/mage. (not a boxer). Trying hard not to go back to those classes LOL. I started as a ranger but ..man those low levels are slow ..currently at 3 almost 4 and no spells in sight wonder if I can just level up a class like a mage or enchanter and then slowly dump items on ranger. Seen other rangers kill so EZ with twink items I'm a bit jealous that some people are already up there farming items to twink lol. Wish they start another TLP tru-boxing server I'm several months behind LOL although the boxing community will be up in arms again LOL.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Huge second, (or third?) to this suggestion. I really, really wish there had been a Tutorial when I started playing EQ back when. Besides learning the mechanics, you will get some useful low level gear. I have used it as well when I try to play a class of character that is new to me.

In any case, have fun with the game. Explore if you want. Do some quests. Kill snakes and stuff. This game, to a large extent, is what you make of it.
    Shanarias and Yinla like this.