Best Expansion in YEARS

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zekzerk, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Tappin Augur

There isn't enough usable content to warrant the grind. The grind would be acceptable if there more things worth doing.
  2. Tucoh Augur

False.
    Hitty and Sancus like this.
  3. Tappin Augur

I just fund a good spot in tbl. The EXP isn't as good as ToV, but at least I don't have to run missions. I think a lot boxers will take the low route, just easier when boxing an army.
  4. Tappin Augur

The missions are not as hard as TBL, but certainly not 2-3 box material for someone who has a mixture of TBL and RoS gear.
    Hitty likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Stick with snowboarding. You aren't going to be happy in EQ no matter what.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  6. Sancus Augur

Yeah that makes sense. I primarily asked the question because Symbius indicated that having four missions disqualified it. Which is totally fair, but that narrows down post-TDS expansions to TBM and TBL. EoK, RoS, and ToV all have four missions, and I know a lot of people are big fans of EoK.

Personally I prefer RoS because its raids were the most fun to farm IMO (lots of good parse events), even if VP and especially Talendor was a let down. That said, I've enjoyed all of the recent expansions and have been enjoying ToV. It's not my favorite but they all have pros/cons for me.
  7. Symbius Augur

It would be EoK as the favorite for more reasons than just the currency issue. Yes the actual missions were only four, but it also had the HA's. TBL had quite a few missions for grinding out currency.

RoS and ToV are both on this grind 4 mission model, which is beyond boring to me.
  8. Windance Augur

So far I have mixed feelings about the expansion given I've only done 1.5 zones worth of progression so far.

Good:
    - Non linear progression! This makes it easier to form up groups since it doesn't matter where they are in progression.
    - So far the T1 zones I've tried are fairly easy. Means you don't have to stay in the old zones and level up to 115 and buying new gear before actually working on progression.
    - I like the big 1 time bonus for getting progression done.
    - Tradable gear is nice. Seems to drop fairly often which means it shouldn't be too hard to get returning players geared up.

Bad:
    - XP rate for normal kills seems pretty low for normal XP. This is going to hurt once we're done the one and done rewards and have to refill XP / AA for glyphs.
    - Did we really need to revisit ToFS and CC again? They are some of my least favorite zones from velious and we got them again in RoF and again in ToV. Not to mention the 13th(?) anniversary raid?
    Hitty likes this.
  9. Hitty Augur

Thanks, does not sound too difficult.
    If the missions don't come close to the trials in TBL then the xpac is at least playable by casuals. Can anybody compare it to specific TBL or RoS missions on groupers level?
    Have done all in TBL except the horrible lava mission, so I am not at Tucohs level. Trials are not real fun, once done I avoided them. So if the ToV missions have the level of the non-trials in TBL then it sounds playable. Any comparisons? Is level 115 needed for the missions? It seems that the items are not really so much better until around 115 compared to GMM and TBL TS? So a possible route to go could be in TBL/RoS getting AA and level easy and around 113-114 switch to ToV as a grouper?
    Any strats and suggestions so far? Less bugs this year?
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Only done Kael mission so far, bring 2 healers, if 1 gets the kneel emote the other can heal till its over, kill the adds as they spawn don't forget to take DPS off the named or you will get too many adds (adds %based), chanter makes this even easier. TOP TIP - make sure you kill the adds before the named teleports or the group starts getting summoned.

Difficulty hard to say TBL fight fire difficulty if not easier I would say.
    Hitty likes this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

The problem with having most of the xp tied to the achievements is that they are one time only...you do them and then that's it. Other than farming missions or helping someone else do them, there's zero incentive to do them again.

They should have made the achievements give out 2 reward choices: either get a big xp reward or get a glyph that you can click for a lesser xp reward. After doing it once, the big reward goes away, but you can still get the glyph, click it, and get at least SOME xp (maybe like a quarter or third of the orginal xp). At least that way, doing quests as opposed to grinding would be worth it.
    Hitty likes this.
  12. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I think if they gave a little more exp reward for repeats on missions that would be good. Also bump the base exp TOV wide would help. It does not have that "new expansion" feel on the exp side.
    Hitty likes this.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Also one thing about mindset as you approach this expansion: If you ARE decently equipped from prior expansions I see no really why you need 115 to kill or do anything in TOV. 115 will come with 115. It does not make me think I can't kill this or that.

My first 30 mins in the expansion ( I did not purposely adventure in beta) involved killing a 118 or 119 named in EW. There was just enough challenge.

Just don't sell yourself short and underestimate what you can do either boxing or with a moderate to good skilled group.
  14. Hitty Augur

If I would choose classes, which one are absolutely necessary as an "entry crack crew"?
    In TBL, stun classes like Pally made it much easier. Having Druid/Shaman pushroot-AA was a dream in some missions.Two real tanks made it so much easier in TBL.
    If two healers are needed, so

Dru, Clr, War, Sk, Enc, xxx

sounds like having covered all necessary cases?

xxx could be a Mage or another Sk (or any other class). It seems that Nec/Pal has advantages due to countless undead too.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

I am by no mean's what so ever what anyone would consider hard core in either raid or grouping aspect of this game.

Having said this, All everything minus 2 zones of hunters completed since launch. Six days so far to date. I love the new content however .. such a small expansion an already 90% of it done.. bleh.. I are sad..
    Hitty likes this.
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't think the XP is nearly as bad as everyone is saying.

In TBL, the XP was better per mob kill, but the mission XP was horrific and it was easy to die a lot (negative XP). I think the people complaining about the balance between the grind and the mission ACH rewards are the people who were not helping other people complete progression in TBL, which easily explains why so few people finished the progression.

While the XP return on my "grind" (camping named) is lower, my total time investment is working out to be about the same of better. When I complete a task, even the second time, I get enough XP to justify my time for doing the task. This is a stark (and very welcomed) change from TBL in which the mephits only had 3 XP kills and a negligible XP reward at the end.

I think the game has much better balance now. Perhaps the one time ACH is a bit of a swing, but I think of it more as a gift. You don't have to do it to do them. Its more of a bonus.

I think the issue is that the grind is just as grinding as it ever was, but the people grinding are putting along and get passed in a red hot ferrari and are shouting HEY why am I not going that fast! Grinding has always been the old beater, you're just jealous because you have seen a Ferarri for the first time.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Also the new locked zone progression is ToFS. So it's there, it's linear, it's completely optional.
    Whulfgar and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  18. Ashian Augur

The tier 1 missions are very easy and are doable by even casuals. Most people on my server have these done if they chose to attempt them.

Velks and Avatar of War are a big step up. I know of three groups on my server that have Velks down and pretty certain only one group has beaten Avatar of War still.

People are still leveling up though... I’m sure these numbers will grow a lot once people get leveled and geared!
    Hitty and Whulfgar like this.
  19. bortage spammin lifetaps

I thought I was behind the curve only just now getting the t1 and t2 missions down, hot dang
  20. Tucoh Augur

plate tank, they're all good +
    Shaman or cleric healer. Can't recommend a druid healer for a box group healer in 2019 +
    Either a bard or an enchanter depending on whether you want to have melee or caster dps.

After that, whatever dps will work. I recommend having a tracker and another class that can tank (so another plate tank or pet class). Mages are good all around dps and utility and very easy to play. Berserkers are great dps.
    Hitty likes this.