Flat or Round?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hayzeus, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

The video is good, but not concrete evidence. At the beginning it says "not actual gameplay footage." In Norrath it's a common belief that Veeshan scarred Norrath and created dragons, the first creatures on Norrath. If so, how do we (and the dragons) really know? Did Veeshan tweet about it? How did the video get created? It's sort of like the moon landing video, it could have been completely faked.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

Then how do you explain the Vah Shir? Moon landing Fake? Hah!
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What do you mean, 'You People'??? o_O
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

If so, it could be the very first verifiable DeepFake. This is historic! Loose the media hounds on it. Let every person in a supermarket check out line drool in anticipation. My blood pressure is racing.

Hold on, perhaps it's just The Matrix reprogramming me.

Arghhhh
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  5. svann Augur

OTOH for it to be a globe you should see ships slowly go under the horizon.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Now that would be cool to see. No idea how easy it would be to design and code though.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Land is not a reliable test for curvature because land is not directly linked to the curve of the planet. Elevation from sea level tends to increase as you move from the sea to the inland, and decrease as you move back towards the sea. If an mode of transportation were large enough to see at great distances, or if we used other means to measure such a curve, we could only do so along a continuous body of water which would be used as a level. Otherwise the test of the curvature is negated by the unknown variable of the terrain.

Water on the other hand, when observing ships does work, but it too can be skewed. A ship on Pluto would be lost quickly to curvature, while one on Jupiter would like be lost to environmental contamination (such as fog) before being lost to the curvature of the planet.

Water too can still be affected by other factors such as gravitational pull and a planet that lacks perfect curvature. The moon does not rotate because of the damage from asteroid strikes impacting the balance of the planet, so if it had water, the water would likely behave different on the moon (assuming gravity and atmosphere were present) based upon where on the moon you are. Also the position of the moon and it's changes in tidal height can also impact the findings if not considered.

Not that these variables can not be worked to develop scientifically valid results, but in of themselves they are overly simplified tests that would yield inaccurate results.
  8. svann Augur

Its fun to mock flat earthers, but even better to mess with their theology.
    Ask them how the sun can be on the horizon in one place and directly overhead in another.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Diptera Augur

To be fair, that doesn't prove that the earth is round (in the sense of being spherical), just that the light from the sun does not fall evenly on it at all places simultaneously.

At least one of the flat earth models has the flat, circular earth, with the sun above it, orbiting in a circular motion around a point directly above the center of the circle. The light in this model only shines on the areas near the sun, whilst the side of the disc opposite is in darkness. ( )

Yes, the flat earth model fails spectacularly on many other points, but the model above isn't a bad attempt to describe the observed effects. Until you involve the moon, eclipses, the other planets, and anything else in the solar system ;)
  10. svann Augur

It would have been a better point if Id said that in some places the sun is straight overhead and in other places its on the horizon (sunset/sunrise). In that comparison the sun-spotlight explanation fails.
  11. Nniki Augur

Heh, sorry, I had to bump this because I just came across this 2001 post from Brad McQuaid where he is answering some weekly emails:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20010806...ony.com/ubb/everquest/Forum1/HTML/000247.html

Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  12. birdsong_pawn Augur

13. Belexes ForumQuester

The shortest distance between two points on the planet Earth is not always a straight line...discuss.
  14. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I put Flat Earthers into the same category I put people who think the 5G telecommunications standard and associated equipment is spreading COVID-19...

DPG won't let me type on the forums the precise language I'd prefer to use :) ... so I'll just leave it up to the imagination.
    Khat_Nip likes this.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

2d, 3d, I feel like the world of norrath is about 17d.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You can walk from a luclin-zone (bazaar) to pok without the use of teleportation. You can see luclin in the sky from pok.

So 17D is probably correct...:confused:
  17. lolly Elder

The only thing Flat-Earthers fear - is sphere itself . . .
    Nadisia, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well done!!
  19. Pip Developer

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!(I love you)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. The real Sandaormo Augur

I have an above average number of Arms.