Flat or Round?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hayzeus, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Coas Lorekeeper

Here's your answer, about 3 seconds into the video:

Wyre Wintermute and Fanra like this.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Origin of the Flat Earth Society, as eluded to earlier, was simply to encourage people to not be afraid to challenge established scientific beliefs, because becoming entrenched specific theories had lead to study in certain fields to stagnate until some people broke with the established ideas and explored other possibilities which lead to theories which better fit what was observed and predicted what can happen.

Sadly, the idea of being open to challenge scientific beliefs but believing experiment results & evidence in general has been replaced with the idea of not trusting any evidence brought by or experiment results performed by anyone else at all.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

I guess it's also okay to ignore the historic portrayal of doctor Frankenstein's "monster". But I guess it's normal in our society to label things we don't understand as "monsters" or other negative titles.

Darn, you beat me to it. I thought of this video immediately. I thought i was going to get to be the historian.

There is a saying in the fire service. We have 100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

I like your information about the original flat earth society. I'll have to do a little reading.

My mom told me a story (not my family in it)
    Mom was teaching daughter how to cook soup and told the daughter to cut the ham bone. The daughter questioned her mother as to why the ham bone needed to be cut. Mother said that is how my mother taught me.
    So the daughter went to grandma, and asked grandma. Why do we cut the ham bone to make the soup? Grandmas said, because that is the way my mother taught me.
    So the daughter goes to great grandma, and asks her, Why do we cut the ham bone to make the soup?
    And great grandmas says, because I didn't have a bigger pot.

If you missed it, cutting the ham bone is a pointless tradition that started by great grandma having a limited choice in pots, but no one ever questioned the practice so they did extra work for no benefit.
    Derka likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

So no confusion, I don't think the earth is flat, but I believed it because I fact checked "you" and developed my own conclusions.

I don't question the beliefs or conclusions of others. Only the methods by reach they arrived at their destination.
  5. birdsong_pawn Augur

Norrath looks flat on the cloth map that came in the original box. If you sail off the edge, there should be dragons. Hmm...wait what?
  6. Bobokin Augur

Norrath was created by the Genesis Device.
  7. svann Augur

You can tell the earth is round because the time is different in different places. Its noon in one place and midnight in another. Norrath otoh is the same sun-time everywhere. I mean, if we are discussing the contrast between belief because you were told (flat earthers) and belief because of measurements (round earth) then it is contrary to believe that Norrath is round because the devs said so and disregard what measurement tells you.

Not saying the devs are wrong but the analogy between [Norrath flat/round] and [flat earth belief] is severely flawed.
  8. Bobokin Augur

I thought this was a thread about shield ornamentation.

[IMG]
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

I like your argument. Your science is sound. If your observations are correct, then the associated animation of historical accounts are inaccurate.

The video above cites "rumors" of the "Crystalline dragon" "ruler of the plane of sky" "deposited life".

I believe the greater question here, rather than if Norrath is round or flat is this...

Do you believe in creation theory? Or do you believe in creation theory?
    On one side Norrath was created by it was created by "the great crystalline dragon, ruler of the plane of sky" and on the other hand by these fabled "devs".

Previously I would have believed in the former, as I have myself seen the plane of sky and the dragon within it. I know it to be true. But I remained agnostic, because I slaughtered this feeble creature and disbelieve it held the power to create life itself.

However, recently, I was in The Tower of Frozen Shadow Beta and with the "dev" who calls herself "Barbiee". This "Dev" with the stroke of just a finger completely slaughtered everyone and everything at the anti-wedding, and revived it once again.

Once in doubt of belief, now I doubt I could disbelieve. I am converting from Agnostic to Polytheism. But I will not accept Innoruuk, as he too I have slain.

However, Barbiee was a Barbarian so I know she is one of the inferior gods. Dark Elves are but the one true race. I suspect there is a greater god, the true creator, one with the capacity to understand the greatness required to create a race a true as the Teir'Dal.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

We have seen that Norrath is a sphere when we look down on it from the moon of Luclin.

I think that Norrath's unusual uninform day night cycle could be explained by the existence of both the moon Luclin and the Goddess of the same name. Since this moon is unseen by players, it is possible that its orbit is such that every day it eclipses the sun, and the magic that the Goddess uses to hide the moon is such that it causes light to be reflected as if it is day when the hidden moon is on the far side of the planet. Thus the entire planet would be engulfed in darkness during eclipse period and covered in light during the opposite time. The uniform usage of what time it is could have simply came from this fact, or the people of Norrath established their passage of time from a different source such as Zebuxoruk giving it to them from the Gods.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You didn't kill or see the Dragon God Veeshan in Plane of Sky. You may have killed a different crystalline Dragon, Kerafrym in Crystallis though. If it is an inhabitant of the Plane of Sky you speak of, then it was just a denizen of the Plane of Sky and not the massive Dragon God Veeshan. Who is larger than all of Norrath, as seen in the Void we peaked into during the second invasion by the Discordians.
    Vumad likes this.
  12. Bobokin Augur

Not a disc?

Flat Earthers say it is a flat disc.

"When Narrath hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a more EQ!"
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Thank you for setting me straight. I think all of the above quoted conclusions are accurate.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You do not see all of the continents, thus it cannot be a flat disc.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

But it doesn't have to be a globe. It could be a convex disc viewed from above.
  16. Bobokin Augur

They say, the rest is around the edge. One doesn't see the back of a coin when viewing the front.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

But for it to be a disc of any kind it would be visibly noticeable from the surface at the points where the turn occurs. The optical illusion for the land to all be flat requires too gradual of a slope for a disc to work at the edges of the disc.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

Based on zone connections and the size and locations of things, i think it works a lot more like Hermonie's bag from The Deathly Hallow's rather than a planet.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

[IMG]
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

Turtle? I thought it was a Crystalline Dragon we were talking about! I swear you people are just making this stuff up as you go.