Paladin - Looking for tips/help

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Sairanor, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sairanor Journeyman

Hey!

I recently came back, haven't played since EoK and I usually roll SK (played one since OoW), but this time I wanted to try out Paladin. Almost got mine to max level and I get the jist of it but I was wondering if there were any helpful resources or guides on Paladin for RoS/TBL era that could help me get better or if anyone has any tips, tricks or necessities they think would help a new Paladin.

Thanks folks!
  2. Livvy_CT Elder

I don’t know of any guides, but we have a helpful paladin community, and I’m sure we can help you out, feel free to ask any questions.
    KarmaKitty and Sairanor like this.
  3. Sairanor Journeyman

Awesome! I have a few:

1. What's our regular rotation look like as far as tanking goes?

2. A while ago, (like back in HoT/VoA era) I heard that Paladins are used more as off-healers and curers in raids as opposed to actual off-tanks, is this true? Doesn't matter to me if so, just looking to know what I should expect/be ready for. :)

3. Haven't looked in to the Paladin epic yet, been focusing on getting 110 (105 right now), is it worth getting? I mean, getting an epic is so easy it's pretty trivial to ask so I'll probably get it anyways, but wanted to know if it was worth the short amount of time it'll take to get. (Doing 1.5 pre-quest, not 1.0)

4. Are there any specific AAs I should be prioritizing over generic things like Planar Power, CA/CS, etc?

5. What pulling utilities do we have, if any?

6. What are the most important things I should get done during TBL (Or ToV if you know)?

7. How's AE aggro work exactly? Is it just the AA AE stun (can't remember the name) and group heal or is there more to it?

Thanks a bunch! :)
    Cazmac and KarmaKitty like this.
  4. Koldanar Elder

5. Allayna Augur

The lineup is completely situational. Are the mobs stunnable or not? Do you want to build AE aggro or not? Some situations you wouldn’t...
    I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I loaded a crush.

The new ToV lineup looks nice though.

New Force of TD > New Brilliant > Valiant > New Burst > New Audacity (if not stunnable) > New Protective

Plenty of individual aggro, AE aggro, HaOT and self or other healing. The difference for stunnable targets is ill throw an additional stun in the line for audicities slot.

I use refute as a snap aggro tool.
  6. Sairanor Journeyman

Thanks for all the tips folks, this has helped me a ton! Another question I have is, what is our defensive rotation? I.E. what abilities do we use while raid/boss/named tanking to help mitigate damage and which stack and should be used in tandem?

Thanks again! :)
  7. Sairanor Journeyman

Sorry for double post, can't edit original.

I also heard that we don't have to target self to self heal with things like burst anymore, is this true? Haven't tested it yet.

I.E. if I am targeted on a mob and cast Burst it'll heal me.
  8. Lubianx Augur

The ToV burst does. I don't think they "retrofitted" the older ones.
    Light heal and our other slower big direct heal also got the same treatment
  9. Sairanor Journeyman

It actually does work with at least the RoS Burst! I just checked, here's a screenshot for reference:

[IMG]
  10. Allayna Augur

Personal preference really.

I use mantle for anything heavy hitting.
    Guardian for anything with multiple mobs.
    Armor for 3rd in rotation also good for stunnable.

Sprinkle shield flash as needed.

You can stack AoTI or GAoTI with any of them. I start with individual because it is up quickly.

Deflection at engage if MT on raid content till the mob is positioned and debuffed. Or last to hold a wall of adds.

Blunted blade is outdated and a last ditch effort.

Guardian you can actually click of the running defensive if needed for something heavier and still get the heal procs, but I haven’t needed that in a long time.

Thwart/Protective are good additions in any rotation or spam, as well as using the mob to your advantage. Is it stunnable? Lock it with harmonious and/or stun spells, out new spells can stun to 118.
    KarmaKitty and Wulfhere like this.
  11. p2aa Augur

Providing you have Protective always on you, guardian > mantle > armor, whatever the hits distribution, if you want to chain them one by one.
    Mantle or Armor stacks with Guardian, your best defensive set is guardian + mantle.
  12. Qbert Gallifreyan

Can't use two defensive disciplines at once like this.
  13. Qbert Gallifreyan

I don't disagree with the order noted above in a couple of posts (for potency), but if you're like me and things take a long time to kill, you might wish to go in reverse.

If you go Armor of XXX --> XXX Mantle ---> XXX Guardian disciplines, then you can fill a short gap after with deflection/shield flash/spire/other random tools and Armor of XXX will be up again for the same mob.
    Szilent likes this.
  14. p2aa Augur

That's right, i always do the mistake because for warriors we don't have any SPA 162 abilities that can conflict in disc window with our SPA 168 abilities.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

Aye right.

Armor refreshes the quickest at 7.5 mins, so .. Armor (or Devout) -> Guardian -> Mantle.
  16. Wulfhere Augur

The only disc stronger then Guardian is Deflection.

Guardian -> Armor -> Mantle is the strongest order wrt downtime.

Mantle is weak sauce at 1 min duration, 15 min recast, and large EN cost. It needs to be 2 mins like the others.

Thwart stacks with everything
    Protective stacks with Guardian and Mantle
    Stacking Inquisitor's heal focus grants Guardian and Armor heal procs life saving strength (also Healing Light procs, 15000hp at 115, e.g. from Blunted Blade)
  17. p2aa Augur

Both are SPA 162 abilities, only the strongest effect of the 2 will apply (for me stacking = the effects stack, not if you can use both running same time)
    Wulfhere likes this.
  18. Wulfhere Augur

Yep, I was typing too fast. Correction: stacks with Guardian and Defensive Proficiency I (stance).
  19. Sairanor Journeyman

Hey folks!

Thanks for all of this info, this has been incredibly helpful! :)

Another question I have is, which activated AAs should I be prioritizing? I've already maxed Beacon of the Righteous, AotI and GAotI. All of my passive defensives are maxed as well (CA, CS, ND, GE, AoW, etc. etc.)

Was just wondering which of the activated AAs are the most important for tanking and which I should be prioritizing!

As well, which abilities should I be macroing together? I.E. which activated AAs stack with each other/discs and should be macro'd together during tanking?

Thanks folks! :)
    Picaresque likes this.
  20. Traxen Lorekeeper

Can anyone recommend priority AA? Which to get first, etc. They are getting expensive and I want to make the right purchases.
    Picaresque likes this.