What are your thoughts on adding mercs to TLP servers early?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fudly, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Fudly Elder

Mangler has reached the point where it's near impossible to find groups at some hours of the day for lower level ranges. For example, today at 11am MST on a Thursday, there's no one within 10 levels of my 27 shaman on LFG. Exploring "/who all 27" and near level ranges, there appears to be no group in that level range in any zone.

Everquest is just not fun without a group for most classes. There is too much downtime. If I were a new player, I wouldn't suffer through this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

It's a good idea but it'll never happen. Too much work for almost no payoff for DBG. My opinion.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

No. Also never going to happen.
  4. Madcat1983 Journeyman

Terrible idea better to simply remove them entirely but wont happen most probably

if your on Mangler and having trouble leveling Find a guild honestly best option so long as you stick with them most guilds have people that can help catch other people up or do some form of trade so you help them they help you
  5. Fudly Elder

Why would it be too much work? Wouldn't they just have to toggle some flag that enables mercs?
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

It's never that simple. Let's say, as a ridiculous example, that you enabled mercs in Luclin. The merc vendors are in PoK. There's no PoK until PoP. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
  7. Fudly Elder

Ok, so a flag and adding one vendor to the bazaar. I'm still not seeing the iceberg. It's not new functionality. It's just enabling functionality that already exists.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Just. Right. Nothing to it. I can't convince you of something you don't want to be convinced of.
  9. Fudly Elder

You give up quickly. You're not wrong that it's more complicated than a flag and a vendor, but it shouldn't be a whole lot of dev time unless their code base is completely jacked.
  10. Machen New Member

The biggest problem is that up to level 65, a merc tank can tank better than a bis player tank, while also putting out dps on par with the best dps raid toons. They can singlehandedly handle 4-5 red mobs at once and win. If the lower level mercs aren't rebalanced, they trivialize the game. If they are rebalanced, live will rightly scream.
    Meridian likes this.
  11. Fudly Elder

Ok, that's more of an investment. I thought mercs were supposed to be worse than players. They'd need a Motm-like debuff for mercs on TLP servers.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

I like the idea.

When the game is mostly instanced and population drops off sharply around level 70 is a good time imo.

It's just good for casuals because the group game all but disappears and truebox ensures that soloists are the first to quit.
  13. Nolrog Augur

14. Fluid Augur

What would make sense to me is advanced characters able to group with the highest level characters currently on the shard. In Mangler's case, that would be a level 40 since they would be able to group with level 60s. Maybe charge $30. It's not that I think it is a good idea, it is just that I hate the RMT people selling leveling that much that I would sacrifice anything to screw them up. Let DB have the money! :)
  15. Fluid Augur

Player name Fudly? I have been leveling alts in that range lately. I will insist on the area to level but can provide transportation. Hope you enjoy Splitpaw for a few levels.