VoA monster mission problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Casquette, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Casquette Journeyman

I tried to do the Breaching the Barrier monster mission in Sepulcher, but the warrior (RZ) and rogue (VZ) did so little damage that it was a waste of time. It took 10 min of very slowly hitting for about 2500 a swing to damage one trash mob down about 50%, which is when I gave up, so something is very very wrong. Anyone have any tips? Or is this mission just plain broken?
  2. Tobynn Augur

The monster templates have their own special attack AAs. Last time I went through the mission, Tallon ranger was hitting for millions with that special attack. Regular melee/archery was useless.
  3. Lubianx Augur

You didn't mention how many people you had doing it.
    Also how did you distribute the AAs?
    Even with a full group and the AAs distributed correctly it is still a long mission
  4. Mithra Augur

Rallos can solo kill a dozen trash mobs at a time with his AE. Use Vallon Zek to kill the mini named. Focus them down first. Use all your abilities.
  5. Mukkul Augur

You only get 5 monster AA points and no option to distribute them in the AA window. 3 boxed players - warrior, rogue and cleric shrouds. The length of the mission is immaterial when I can't kill even a single trash mob. Neither the warrior nor the rogue shroud are doing any meaningful melee damage.
  6. Ashian Augur

You’re doing something wrong. In monster missions, you don’t get a normal spell bar, but all of your abilities are essentially AA. So you should have a list of already purchased abilities that you can click which do a TON of damage. I managed to box the mission way back during VoA. Takes a long time (1 hour?) but you can do it.
  7. Mukkul Augur

I am guessing I was doing it wrong, and that I should be relying entirely on the monster AA hotkeys and forget trying to fight with melee, even as a "melee" class.
  8. Thunderkiks Augur

Just did this a few weeks back as it was one of the few achieves I had left for group stuff. We had 5 real players. No boxed toons. Not sure you will ever get it boxing. The warrior pulled each section and the rest of us just dps'd with the abilities we had. Only monster we didnt have was the pally.
  9. Addikeys Elder

I tried to box this a while back and it took too long and I couldn't get the final boss down.

Your thread prompted me to re-visit the mission. Although I haven't completed it, I have been trying some new strategies (albeit boxing). My experience so far is as follows:
    1. You probably need all 6 gods if you are boxing it (real players preferable obviously).
    2. Make macros for each of the gods to save on button mashing. I'm still trying to figure out the optimum setups.
    3. Auto attack appears to be negligible compared to the abilities (nevertheless, I did turn on auto kick and autofire for the melee gods).
    4. For the trash, with Rallos, I gather 10-15 mobs, pull them to the other gods, park in a corner as push is super annoying, and aoe. Still, aggro can be quite annoying, so I just usually let Rallos and maybe Morrel deal with adds.
    5. Like many mission bosses, make sure to clear any trash and then adds as they spawn as they can build up pretty quick.
    6. Upon finishing off a mini-boss, die to clear their dots.
    If you end up finishing this, I'd love to hear some of the things that have worked and/or didn't work so well.
    Good luck!
  10. Laronk Augur

well if you play a melee in EQ at high level I sure hope you use your AA and combat abilities
  11. Mukkul Augur

I only have three accounts, which doesn't seem to be enough to kill a mini, let alone the final boss. So probably hopeless after all.

/despises monster missions
  12. Mithra Augur

Rallos & Vallon is enough to kill every mini. Focus burn the mini using all abilities off cd then just die after. Add the cleric and you can do final fight.
    Mukkul and Addikeys like this.
  13. Mukkul Augur

I did it. Boxing three. Don't want to ever do it with three again.

Cleared all the zone trash (including trash I probably didn't have to) and minis in 3 hours.

I had been trying the hardest mini first -- Lunanyn. So, since his adds camp where they spawn, if you fight Lunanyn somewhere else and wipe, you can run back in and ignore the prior adds who are off in some other corner, and wait for your rez fx to wear off (2 min) and then pick up Lunanyn again, and he won't have regenerated too much. One problem is the adds spawn on top of everyone including the cleric. Burn Lunanyn and deal with adds later.

For boss mob Arafel, first and third phases - pulled him far enough away that no oozes added while fighting him. Pull with rogue so that rogue is charmed first. I think rampage too. The constant charming was a pain. Second phase, 75%, he pops back to his spawn point. You have to go to him, and keep him in his spawn circle while killing him down to 35%. If you push him outside of it, he walks back and regenerates back to 75%. So it was a matter of attack one direction, then the opposite direction, to keep him centered. Third phase, I almost couldn't get him out of the 25-35% range. One trick is don't put the tank's back to the wall, push Arafel against the wall instead. While the cleric hides behind the wall. Again, constant charm made things difficult. Tank wasn't charmed, just rogue and cleric. Constant button pushing of all attack forms for both melee. Took about 1.5 hours to kill him, but eventually did. Couldn't rest one little bit during third phase.

Thanks everyone for tips and encouragement.
    Mithra likes this.