DBG Planetside Arena = Adding more TLP servers (doesn't work)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rayvorn, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Rayvorn Elder

https://www.mmorpg.com/planetside-2...g-down-january-10-1000054751#vanilla-comments

Planetside Arena has been shutdown after ONLY 4 months of being released. They basically cash grabbed any of their fans that had hopes for it instead of spending all that time and resources FIXING Planetside 2 for the playerbase that was loyal. This will only reduce their playbase because those fans that switched will most likely not return to PS2 after being stung (the game is free to play but they had a ton of launch specials you could buy in the store..that people will lose out on).

This is DBG mindset over the range of ALL their games to include EQ. What can we implement that will get us a influx of cash grab even though it ruins the health of the player-base long term. For Everquest it is TLP's. Every TLP siphons players from live servers and other TLP's already made and when that server ultimately fails, of the people that quit the server, many of them don't return to what they were doing before. Instead of consolidating the servers to make a healthy community that will keep people around, they add more servers that make you feel alone (outside of your guild). Adding a Selos and Mangler at the same time split the population and killed Corinav . Adding a Miragul when you already had Phinny at the same place split the community. Adding Ragefire and Lockjaw split the community. Adding truebox and non-trubox splits the community. Only plus I can give this business model is atleast they are consistent at breaking up the community.

Please stop cloning the game and just ADD to the game. Instead of adding entire servers, add heroic characters to CURRENT servers. Make some dead servers Free-to Play. Merge some live servers together. If you stop thinking about the short term profits, you can actually add to your long-term revenue.
    Rumplestilskin likes this.
  2. Sobmre Augur

that sucks, i tried the beta of ps arena and kinda liked where it was going. as for eq i think the point of TLP's is to bring people back to the game and fresh servers is a new start for people who like to group in old zones etc. the problem is that the content is very quickly out grown.
  3. Gremag Journeyman

I've played Planetside 2 since it's release 7 years ago. It's a great game that has been poorly managed since release. It's a huge success squandered.

I've played Everquest since release as well. 20 years. I applaud the EQ team members, past and present, on a job well done. THANK YOU.

DBG's executive and team level approach to Planetside has been consistently bad since Planetside 2's release 7 years ago.

If the Planetside franchise mentality seeps into the Everquest franchise, then EQ is over.

Instead, I suggest the Everquest team mentor the Planetside team on how to treat not just their franchise, but their player base as well.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What are you on about, OP?

Long term health? You realize EverQuest has been going for 20 years...yes?

So they gambled and lost. So what? Hindsight is 20/20 and you weren't calling the shots.

Also, wrong forum.
  5. Gremag Journeyman

He is on about a possible "mindset" at DBG. And he is correct to be worried, but you are also correct that 20 yrs of EQ is simply amazing. :)
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Planetside Arena should be a cautionary tale if the EQ Franchise decides to commit significant resources to a mobile game or "EQ3." (There's always a vocal minority for a EQ re-imagined with a snazzy engine). Instead of Planetside Arena, I honestly think a EQ sword-and-board battle royal (possible VR) might have had more success but that's water under a bridge...

Daybreak can burn people out and cannibalize with TLP saturation. The danger comes from people buying Krono and then coming to the realization how much real life money they've spent on pixels. (Nothing wrong with buying a Krono to indulge in a chase item or illusion but $$$ on dragon loot or epic loot is insane).
  7. Rayvorn Elder

Since to me EQ is the only real MMO worth playing (I like DDO as well) because no other MMO out there has this style of gameplay I still hope for the long-term (3-5 years). Planetside 2 Arena was a gamble. A gamble that 9 out of 10 developers would not of taken. BR is a game mode for PS2, not an entire game for a struggling already played game. It brought nothing new to the table. I explained myself clearly, TLP servers and Live servers have so much more to give if they would focus on what they have not adding clones. I'm happy with the expansions that keep releasing but guilds/servers are on life support. Live guilds have to use multiple boxes to progress and TLP's have guilds crumble each expansion because there is a gap between returning players and current players.

Heroic characters would pump life into multiple servers (51, 65, 80, 100) These levels would be great additions to any of the servers. There are very little "new" players to EQ...just returning players who have done these levels multiple times. Making a veteran player (why I posted here) have to grind out levels AGAIN just to play with friends is just a pointless wall. Make the new grind about getting flagged and geared...fun stuff, not pointless levels a lone with no one else in the zone. That is not fun and is why people quit before ever making it far enough to join their friends. That and because Merc tanks and no slow really prevent players from many of the group content leveling up.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We have a new expansion landing in EQ tomorrow, they are adding to the game!

Heroic Chars are available on current servers! Not on all servers but those playing TLP servers want the nostalga. Live servers are FtP, TLPs are not, everyone knows that when they create a char.

Server mergers are planned for next year, I'm not looking for Hollys interview with that information, she only listed 2 servers which wouldn't be merged as they are a high population.
  9. Fudly Elder

I've talked to a ton of people on mangler who were like, "man, I wonder how long this server will last". They all expect their server to get ruined by the next TLP server, me included. I don't like that, and I will quit when my server is ruined.
  10. Sikkun Augur

Wasn’t the game still early access and only on Steam? So less shut down after 4 months and more never even made it to release.
  11. feeltheburn Augur

how bout taking the post elsewhere?