Can Mercs be moved to an earlier expansion?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Machen New Member

I don't think they can control that finely when mercs unlock. It will be a global change across all servers, if they ever do it, which unfortuntaly I doubt they will.

And, I still think PoR is better unlocked with TSS than DODH. No one wants to do Dethknell as the BIS gear providing end zone for three months, or two months, or even one month. Outside of circle clicks which are a necessary evil, the entire expansion provides nothing postive.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Personally I'd like to see a server where it unlocks per level increase, so all those expansions with the same max level open up at the same time, most of them you would still need to kill in expansion order to get gear, but for those expansions with little AAs or lots of expansions at the same level it gives everyone more to do. So it would look something like this.

Starts in Classic Max level 50
    Kunark, Velious, Luclin max level 60 (I'd be tempted to start with all open to Luclin at launch)
    PoP, LoY, LDoN, GoD max level 65
    OoW, DoN, DoD, PoR max level 70
    TSS & TBS max level 75
    SoF max level 80
    SoD & Underfoot max level 85
    HoT max level 90
    VoA max level 95
    RoF, CotF max level 100
    etc, etc

3 month unlocks till TSS & TBS, TSS &TBS onward 2 month

I'd open mercs at TSS or OoW, reasons being level 70 onwards is where life gets a bit toughter to do on your own and groups for certain classes become harder to find. Even if we only had T1 mercs until SoD and we get the T2 - T5 quests for mercs in, it would be better than nothing.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

That's been mentioned before and if mercs aren't released earlier because they are too strong, then just give the newbie mercs until the full unlock ala MOTM scaling.

Either way, mercs all in or scaled, eq population gets gutted in that late 65 to 70 period. There's a lot of stagnation in compelling content, but far worse is the inevitable new or second new TLP that absolutely rips casual guilds to shreds and edges casuals out.

Groups are too hard to find for casuals and mercs are already developed, please just unleash them! Future tlps will be thankful.
    Ulain likes this.
  4. Machen New Member

You keep repeating that, and it still isn't true.

EQ Population historically has been gutted in the late 75 period (TBS). The 65's and 70's aren't any worse on attrition than the 50's and 60's.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

I mean...it was certainly true on the Coirnav server, 65->70 saw a toooooooon of atrition, like 60% of the guilds folded. Maybe the other servers had different histories I dunno but it was much worse 65-70 than it was 50s and 60s and if thats just the tip of the iceberg I shudder to think what TBS will be like on Coirnav
  6. Nolrog Augur

Raids are so complex that mercs wouldn't be able to follow the emotes and wipe the raids consistently. Someone gets targetted, they have to run away or they explode an AOE in the raid, or have to find an NPC and say shoulder my burden. That is impossible for mercs to complete.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Machen New Member

Yeah. Coirnav was unique in that it had an unpopular ruleset (slow xp) and the next server to come along had a more popular ruleset. It happened to come along right after most Coirnav guilds beat PoP, and so you see a big dip in number of guilds from PoP to GoD. No other progression server has ever seen a dip of that size at those expansions.
  8. Furryous New Member

God yes please.. This so much.

I know it will most likely never be done, but it would help so much even in ldon doing these 50000 missions needed for the aug. It helps when you are playing off hours or not for a long time. I would really love this feature, even if at the weaken state
  9. Krezzy Augur

This sounds like a good ruleset for a new TLP.

Since Mercenaries don't use raid loot, I'm a bit skeptical about allowing them on raids. Doing so would double the loot per raider.