Suggestion: Morph old weapons into Ornaments!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vizier, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nniki Augur

Since this thread is still going... how about Vanity instead of Overseer? :p
  2. halfpint77 Lorekeeper

So, I think we are looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps the way to implement this is via a NPC script.

The NPC generates the new unique Augment ID type 21 Aug based on the Item Appearance ID that was handed in by the player.

Each item has an Item ID in the DB and an Item appearance ID, one could allow an NPC to get the Item appearance ID, and in turn generate a new unique item ID limited to slot 21 with the it appearance ID of the item the player handed in.

The NPC could then of course hand back or consume the original item.

This would mean the dev's would only need to work on the coding to implement the NPC + Script. And not edit thousands of items in the DB and create thousands of new ones. The code can propagate and do that for you over time.
  3. Dhurgan Augur

The developers would spend all this time implementing the feature and 20 unique ornaments would end up covering 80% of the total transforms. Taking the 10 most popular and creating tradeskill recipes would probably be a lot more feasible.
    Bobokin likes this.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This requires code changes as specified, pretty much the same complexity as the original idea of a container that does what you suggest the NPC does.
    If we could come up with an agreed upon list. I like things like that.
    A reasonable amount of augments I'm willing to make. thousands, I am not. By reasonable... lets say less than 50. Even then, it's probably going to cost me more to make them than we will earn, but player interest has it's reward as well. It just has to be in a balance.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Jamazar like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It be would sweet to see the "Sky" weapons (EoK chase weapons/shields; i.e. Skybarrage) as ornaments in the future. They could even be tradeable "chase" drops. I think most/all players can agree Sky weapon graphics are awesome!

An ornament like this would be legendary:
    [IMG]

We appreciate your hard work and the art team's work!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and eqgamer like this.
  6. Dhurgan Augur

Rather than bloat this thread to like 50 pages, I would be willing to accept PM's with requests for say like a month, compile the list, and then send you the top 30ish.

RIP my inbox.
    Koryu, Mithra, Ngreth Thergn and 3 others like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I was just about to post 'Let the requests begin'. And you go and do something sensible and cool.

Well played.

And RIP your inbox indeed.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Could you just start it on the items in the newest expansions? The steed in smoke drops an awesome 2her graphic that no raider is going to carry. Its a shame that the designer did such a good job on a weapon that is inaccessible to most people who would carry it.

Maybe going forward items can get a tag (legacy maybe?) that lets players know that they can be converted to an augmentation using a loyalty purchased container. New expansions the items are just copied over as they are made, and the tag makes it so that every item doesn't have to be copied if its just some trash drop. Then for old expansions say you set a goal of 10 items or 5 items, or whatever amount makes you happy, that gets this tag so items can be converted.

You can make it a team builder. Everyone on the dev team once a month (or quarter if it's too much) has the option to submit an old world graphic that is meaningful to them that makes its way into the set. If you want to get real crazy, throw something special in the aug lore about the developer who made the item, nominated the item, or w/e.

The Epic Request is probably one of the best additions to the game.
    Mithra likes this.
  9. Vizier Augur

Even if we start small scale this project is WELL WORTH the effort. Players WANT to customize themselves with your awesome weapon models and are willing to pay real life cast to do it. LET THEM!
  10. eqgamer Augur

And put the person who made the blue eok chase weps in charge. They obviously get it. Best wep graphics ever IMO.
  11. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Same person that made the ToV, RoS, and TBL weapons some people are complaining about.
    It's all a matter of opinion.
  12. Tutankamen Augur

Ngreth- please include the ornament for Dreamfall- to me its one of the best looking swords in the game!

Would love to know what came up with that!
  13. Dhurgan Augur

48 hours later and only two PMs. You can see why the developers get frustrated, they spend all this time doing work that "everybody wants" and nobody ends up following through. I don't think it's even worth Ngreth's time if there's less than 100 people that respond.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

Dove's cry.

But more importantly. I mentioned the team building exercise above, and I believe in it.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Lest we all forget, Devs play too. Ornamentation transmorgrifation is something we all want, but is simply too expensive to do.

Maybe someone on the DBG side can come up with a clever solution - like when Hero's Forge armor was born.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Not all the devs are capable of modeling, or even art concepting. Nor do all the devs want to do that. So the 'team building' idea is a non-starter. (I elaborate a bit below)

Or when Player Studio was created?

Already created, lived and died.

They had a system in place where third parties submitted items and they only had to review them, and implement them.

All the devs have full time roles and Player Studio reviews and the like where 'extra duty' for them. And it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it. Maybe it was great fun for them (and they got pulled off for other work), but I doubt it was something they enjoyed.

There really is no motivation for them to create ornaments on the singular level (the 'yay I did arts in a game' is lost on them, but is great fun for us third parties).

The only possible motivation would be on a large scale, where they implement a system to do this, and reap actual profits from their effort.

This is all hinging on Ngreth changing his stance to 'maybe IF'. To satisfy the IF, there are going to need to be way more people who would actually buy things than the few Forum Questers that ask for it every 4-6 months.

And also careful what you wish for. These ornaments will have to be over $5 to make any money. Is everyone so desperate for ornaments willing to pay $7.50+ for them?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

No, you completely missed the concept.

Say I was on the EQ team. I do accounting and can't help the Dev team at all. But I play and enjoy EQ.

Ngreth says hey, team builder idea, pick an item in EQ that is meaningful to you and at the next meeting everyone is going to share their item before the meeting starts and why they pick it.

At the next meeting it's my turn. I say, this quater I picked the Dove's Cry. It's from Lcea in the EoK expansion. It's my favorite bow graphic because it has a realistic appearance of handcrafted workmanship.

That makes Ngreth's list. He puts together a newsletter of the 10 items picked that quater, which member of the team picked them, and why.

Ngreth has to make a tradeskill recipe that is X in Y = Z, yes, that makes work, but the graphic exists. Since Ngreth said he would be willing to discuss a list of 50, I know its feasable. Im actually suggesting he does fewer than he said he's willing to do, and eliminate the player polling which would probably go pretty poorly anyway.

Then I camp the Dove's Cry, or I go get it off the wall of my house. I go to the loyalty vendor and I buy a single slot bag that converts this item from what it is to an ornamentation.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not everything has to be sold to make money. In marketing, they discussed studies where people did not respond to cash bonuses, but worked their butts off to get a baseball bat that cost the company less than half a dollar. Remember Happy Gilmore? The gold jacket was a far bigger motivator than the cash prizes, because status is a motivator.

My point is, a happy team is a productive team. An involved community is a happy community.

If you break down the idea of ornamentation of old items, it is quite frankly not a profitable one in direct sales. Neither is Frostfell armor, but it exists, because players enjoy it. You can see people wearing frostfell armor all over the place all year long.

I get it, you made stuff for the player studio, but the foundation of the game is a subscription model. That model is based upon the concept that the players received between $15 in value each month. Money can be spent and see a return on investment without it going through the daybreak cash store.

Yes I realize hero's forge cost extra, except it doesn't really because DBC is in my subscription. So it too was not a direct sale. It was part of my subscription benefits. The DBC store at $5 is for FTP people not wanting to sub. I subbed, and my hero's forge armor is part of that $15/mo in value, as is everything else in the DBC store. So a container from the DBC store or the loyalty merchant, even onced valued at at $5 in DBC, will cost me nothing (more than my sub), just like anything you designed that I have purchased.
  19. Koryu Professional Roadkill

If you want community involvement, you probably need a fresh thread. I had intentionally ignored new comments in this one for several days because it was various rehashes of the same question being asked, and the answer continuing to be "no we can't do that." Also, polling on the official forums isn't usually allowed, but this might be an exception. It would also be a good idea to have a summary of what is or isn't allowed to be an ornament, to reduce invalid suggestions from being input (reduce, not prevent, let's not kid ourselves).
    I will rummage through my weapon trophy house for some lookers.
    Dhurgan and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Bobokin Augur

If Ngreth did that in a changer like the type 4 change to type 20, then yes, but I don't think we want everyone running around with that weapon graphic. Am I correct on that?
    MasterMagnus likes this.