Bout time I introduce myself.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Pip, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Pip Developer

Hail Norrathians!

Many of you may have already seen me here on the forums, and many of you have seen me in game. I'm more active on the beta forums at the moment while we build up for the release of Torment of Velious. However, I realized that I have never fully introduced myself to you all. I'm Phillip "Pip" Sexton and I have been an EQ Dev for over a year now.

The main reason I haven't introduced myself is because well, to be honest, I didn't feel I earned the right to say that I even sit among this pantheon of developers for EverQuest. I felt like I needed to do more work in order to prove to not only myself, but to all of you, that I'm worthy enough to even call myself a developer, let alone a developer for a game as prestigious as EverQuest. I started my career at SOE as a Customer Service representative. At the time I was a contract employee but when we switched over to Daybreak, a lot of us C.S. contractors got to be hired on. After that, I worked for a while in C.S. before switching over to Quality Assurance for H1Z1 and when Just Survive was ramping up, I was put on that team of Quality Assurance experts.

With time on J.S. I made my intentions known that someday, I wanted to be a developer, so through study and experience, I was eventually given an opportunity to be a part of the J.S. Developer team, and thus my lifelong goal of being a developer was realized. You see, the only thing I've ever wanted since picking up my first NES controller, was to work on/with video games. I knew that I would have to work hard in this industry, and that its a rather unstable and unfair career path, but I couldn't resist. I guess I like the abuse?

Anyway, after my time on J.S. I was asked by Windstalker and Prathun to join the EQ team and how could I say no?! (Seriously how? I got bills to pay) So I was able to join up during the development of TBL, and started work. This team has been phenomenal with their patience and understanding and have been teaching me the ways of EQ development. Its a true honor to be a part of this team. I was 18 years old sitting at my computer in my first apartment when a friend of mine brought his EQ disk over, we installed it, and he showed me the game. I was floored an I remember having the epiphany at the time of "Wait... people... ACTUAL people... get to work in this world... Can you imagine what it must be like to be a person who gets to WORK in this universe?!"

Never did I ever CONCEIVE the idea that I could be one of those people. I always thought that these were gods and I would never be able to do what they do, but here I am. So I hope I can live up to your expectations and hope that I can help be a part of the EQ journey with all of you. You'll see me from time to time now and if you haven't interacted with me yet, just know that I don't know how to be serious. I've made it my lifelong goal to make sure I do what I can to get people to smile and have fun. I cannot stress this enough. If I'm EVER serious, then something TERRIBLY WRONG has happened. The only thing I take super seriously is my job to give you all a fun and enjoyable jaunt into the world of Norrath. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to see you in Velious!
    ~ Pip
  2. Tucoh Augur

Glad you're on the team, Pip.

Please keep us up to date on the areas of EQ you're responsible for so we can trick you into buffing our class and nerfing everyone else. :D
  3. klanderso Developer

4. Dewey Augur

Good luck to you; please tell them to stop nerfing my jboots!
    Dyna and Pip like this.
  5. SunDrake Augur

Congratulations.

It's outstanding to know that someone with your passion has done the right things to be in the position you are. Best of luck.
    Dyna, Skuz and Pip like this.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Props for the lowkey Pantheon shoutout.

#hype
    xmPradah and Skuz like this.
  7. Travestii Elder

Salutations Pip! Glad to hear that you're living the dream and bringing your enthusiasm to EQ. Now get back to work, I hear there's a big project due next week. ;)
    Pip likes this.
  8. Pip Developer

This is a "blue car" situation. I used that word not as a shout out, but as a word to depict a caste of gods. Because that is how I view the prestigious group of people that I get the honor to work along side with every day. These people are the "Gods" of EQ and I can't think of a better term to call a group of gods. Hope that clears up any confusion!

To alleviate any further confusion: I too am excited to see what Pantheon (the game) brings to the industry.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. niente Developer

10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Good to hear from you Pip, always nice to get the story behind the red name, I hope to see what fun you bring to EQ in the future. :)
    Skuz and Pip like this.
  11. klanderso Developer

Awwww that's the Pip I first met, what a special snowflake <3
    Saer-tse-tao and Pip like this.
  12. Narlee Scholar

pip pip hooray!
    Saer-tse-tao and Pip like this.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Glad you get to realize one of your dreams Pip. My old man told me when I was younger, "If you dont like what you are doing for a living , your life will be hell". Now I am the old man and I enjoy what I do for a living and hope you will too!
  14. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

Lol this is great. It was nice to see Brad W. there! Great guy, great director.
  15. Pip Developer

I do have to make a quick shout out to Klanderso. Her and I climbed the ranks together all the way from C.S. and have been carrying each other ever since.
    Yinla and klanderso like this.
  16. klanderso Developer

It got easier once I started going to the gym to get more buff.
    Yinla, Petalonyx, Duder and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Your poor backs
  18. Greymantle Augur

Try the lobby , lots of free buffs there :)
  19. Pip Developer

Would you buff me? I'd buff me.
    /goodbyehorses
  20. klanderso Developer

/heartybackslap
    Pip likes this.