Forget TLP, try an LLP.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Raytheon, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Raytheon Augur

I think it would be interesting to have a Level-locked Progression server. What I mean by that is that it would be identical to a live server, with all of the live server QOL features, vendors, zones, classes, races, tradeskill recipes, defiant gear, XP rates, etc.... hell, everything a live server has available at launch, with no standard TLP BS like MoTM and the like, and no original zone configurations or prenerf loot drops. The catch is that the max levels characters could attain would be locked on a schedule like this:
    • Level Cap at launch - 50
    • 3 months later - 60
    • Every 3 months after that - Level cap goes up 5 levels
    IMO, people are too far nitpicky about TLP's HAVING to be the "in-era experience" as if it's sacred to re-experience the all of the P.I.T.A. stuff that has been addressed over the years. I think it would be lots of fun because I think some of the real tryhard guilds would have creative people trying to tackle much harder content than their level was designed for. to be the ones who are the furthest along in "progression". Yes, Classic and the early expansions will be far too easy. So what. Let people blitz em and try whatever harder stuff they want.
    A server like this would be fun either with or without AOC, Truebox, or Free Trade, though I must say if you wanted a true racing free-for-all with a super-awesome economy, and see what people are truly capable of, I'd most prefer such a server to be Yes AOC, No Truebox and Yes Free Trade.
    Skuz, Montag, Venalin and 7 others like this.
  2. Machen New Member

I've said before, this would completely solve all the balance issues. There would always be harder content to throw yourself against. The only downside is that for the most part, if players are able to take down raids 10-15 levels above their level, they wouldn't be able to use the gear until six months later when the level cap increases enough. Maybe solve this by simply removing req/rec levels from all gear, but that would make melees insanely more powerful than casters.

Either way, it would be a unique, fun experience and probably be a great test of EQ knowledge--a lot of fun figuring out what way out of era things you could do and benefit from.
  3. Raytheon Augur

I'd leave the level requirements and things on gear as they are. Let guilds who can tackle super hard content for gear they can't equip bank it to get a head start on the even harder stuff when the next level cap goes up. It would add an additional element of strategy and keep things like Old Man Mackenzie missions from super-powering lvl 50 toons.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Machen New Member

Thinking from the perspective of a guild leader or raid leader, it's something of a hard sell to get people to raid content that they won't benefit from until six months down the road. Especially given how often people take breaks from this game. I guess as a guild you'd have to balance that with doing some in era content for people who weren't around six months ago.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Honestly think it would be pretty fun and you would see interesting cheese tactics to find ways to beat higher level content at lower level tiers. Unfortunately I think the issue would come up pretty soon where devs have to constantly go through and reduce or remove level requirement flags on many zones/quests and a ton would slip through the cracks or need to be updated every patch.
    Ulain and Machen like this.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Feels like a good passion project for an .
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's got my vote if the competition is Phinny 9.0 with one small change nobody wants!
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

The real question is who gets the one usable piece of loot when you use 500 people to Zerg down The Rathe Council.
    ExoticCheese likes this.
  9. TonyT New Member

This sounds like a fun time! I would suggest they remove level requirements. I kind of wish they removed level requirements entirely. I would love to play a level 5 or 6 character in full ToV group gear!
  10. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Rathe council at level 60 before anyone could Mez the councilmen would be extremely impressive having to offtank 6 full 3k hitting ones and the 5 flecking ones. Plus having to figure out how to space the 11 offtanked ones out so there isn’t too much AE overlap.

Would be very fun to try though.
  11. Ashian Augur

I would absolutely love a server like this. The no-level restriction on gear would be important because it would enable you to progress. While level capped, getting new gear would still enable you to get stronger and eventually take on more raids. Eventually you’d hit a wall with healing as that is primarily limited by spells, but could potentially be mitigated by heal procs. Casters would indeed be neutered if the progression of the raid force outpaced levels too much (for example, level 60 locked characters taking on level 70 expansion content).

Such a challenge would truly put guilds to the test with how “good” they really are.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

this, plus I never agreed with no trade, or level restrictions in the first place (and yes, to me, they are similar concepts).
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

That's why you would need like 500 people. Realistically you would probably need 6 raids and have each raid take down 2 a piece instead of doing it they way you're supposed to. No other way to realistically beat the timer without mezzing.

It would actually be really easy would just require you to bring a ton of people. AoS did it with most of our raid 61 other then a few tanks and a chanter who were 65 and that was without defiant gear. With defiant gear it would be a joke.
  14. Lumiens Augur

Really fantastic and unique concept for a new server, I love the idea to have free trade with no level requirements on gear. They would just need to make sure and remove any defiant type of gear out of the game.

Would be a pretty cool concept for guilds to hit a point in progress where they couldn't possibly make it any further..... until someone shocks the server and does the impossible.
  15. code-zero Augur

It'd be interesting but likely it'd not work out the way you'd think. At a certain point you can't zerg or cheese unless code is changed to allow more than 54 characters in a raid instance and even then 72 may not be enough.
  16. Moranis Augur

I'd sign up for this - would be fun AF to see how far ahead people can raid / group.

I'm pretty open to keeping or removing level restrictions on gear - I think the level capping will limit the benefit of future xpac raid gear so you can't catapult too far ahead.

On the other hand, I would be staunchy against free-trade - being able to buy BIS raid gear just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I played on FV for a bit and I didn't like that my group-geared SK just couldn't compete with a guildy who bought a full set of raid gear.

Also - I would advocate to restraint from allowing mercs until the server progresses to the level cap at which they were originally unlocked.

Edit** - definitely remove Truebox. #Letme3boxonmyonePC

---

All in all, best new server idea out there IMO. I just hope the coding can be done! Fingers and toes crossed.
    skattabrainz likes this.
  17. Machen New Member

Of course the coding CAN be done, it really isn't that complicated.

Will it be done? Only if DBG thinks it will be a success. They seem to generally go for the sure bets, but every once in a while they throw something completely unexpected that no one asked for out there (Miragul, Mangler as originally proposed). This falls into neither category so I suspect it will never see the light of day.
  18. skattabrainz Augur

aren't you basically describing defiant armor? ;)
  19. skattabrainz Augur

1) I love this idea
    b) I would consider not adding defiant gear at first, it would trivialize early level loot
    III) I'm on the fence whether or not it should have mercs. I would probably play this server regardless but I don't think the mercs would be a terrible addition. their real purpose early on is to "pl you" to the mid 60s or so (more or less depending on your class) and this server would have no real incentive to plow thru levels that fast when you'll just end up stuck at the current max. Perhaps start off no mercs but then add them after a couple level jumps to ensure latecomers can get to within grouping range to the majority populace.
  20. Ulrin New Member

I would absolutely try this kind of server out.

I've been on Phinny from very early on and it's been a fantastic experience (much better than experiences on Fippy or Ragefire), but I don't see the appeal of getting back up to par with Live servers only to restart - on another TLP with a very similar ruleset and doing a slightly different thing.

Phinigel seems to have set the standard for a high quality TLP experience. The Quarm event server was fantastic when that was in effect, but I'm sure that's a difficult thing to manage with a small dev team that's still putting out a lot of content. I'd love to see a different progression ruleset, outside of the standard TLP model, and this sounds like loads of fun.