starting again 10 years later

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by ZamBoof, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ZamBoof New Member

starting this game over for the first time in 10 years and the last time i played was on ps2 any hints or anything that i should know about early on?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There have been a lot of changes to EverQuest since you took a break, probably too many to be reasonable to try & fit into a response.

I would say it depends somewhat on what you are looking to do.

For example:
    Start over on a live server
    Start on a TLP server
    Play as Free to Play
    Happy to sub

If you are looking at returning on a live server I would say you should join a guild soon & expect to be playing solo/molo (molo = solo with a mercenary) or boxing most of the way to 90 before you'll be picked up for guild groups, if you are looking for a well populated live server most have a few guilds active though Firiona Vie is the most populated US player server & Antonius Bayle the most populated EU player server. Some servers are pretty much dead though e.g. Fippy.

If you wish to play on a TLP you will need to pay, either all access or via krono.

For more info on TLP Servers check out the following FAQ (note: some of the info is a little outdated but it's a good place to start figuring out what you are looking for).

https://www.everquest.com/guides/eq-what-is-a-progression-server

Of the TLP Mangler is the most recent server that started in classic & has the current largest population of players, and of guilds in most time zones so if you are returning with an aim of getting groups fairly soon this would be my recommendation.
  3. bortage spammin lifetaps

Pets can tank for players now, so mage or beastlord are probably the most returnee-friendly in my opinion since they can do exceptional dps while also giving you some slack for finding a tank (merc tanks suck later on)

I don't recommend playing a tank until you're established, they take a ton of work to get useful
    Petalonyx likes this.
  4. Rotlust Augur

play on a tlp, probably mangler, or be prepared to play by yourself with boxes. Even FV feels dead because everyone just plays by themselves.

On tlps, groups are still a thing. I'm sure they are there on live servers too, but they are few and far between. If there is a server where grouping is common, I'd sure like to know about it, but my search for such a place has been found wanting.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I suggest playing on a Live server like Xegony one of the highest population live servers.

This video will tell you about a lot of the new features in the game.

Generally at low levels on the Live servers you are soloing but exp is fast as is leveling. Getting in a good casual guild makes this much easier though.
    skattabrainz and Shanarias like this.
  6. skattabrainz Augur

note that i will never not like a Lions post, they are to this game what eve university is to eve and although my xegony days are over (because tlp is crack and i invested a krono or 2 on toons on fv) if i did go back to my original server it'd be to Lions.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Transfer to Xegony, checkout the guilds there. There are many good raiding and non-raiding guilds. Make friends , get to know people, and find a spot to have fun.