Add a new tier of heroic char on live

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Motpop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Laronk Augur

It's different for a heroic character vs a character that's supposed to do current content. Heroic characters can be "good enough" where in current content people want to try to min max.

The main reason that new heroics are needed is the barrier to entry for new players who want to play with others is just too high. It's important to have good catch up mechanics so people can play.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you mean beta buffed, that's a different issue. People aren't going to go spend a week or two camping augs from old content to make their beta buffed character equivalent to what is going to be used in game in order to test content.

For a heroic character, that's different. Just make a single no-lore aug, make it general, point being filler. For a level 100:

35 ac 125 hme +10 mod3s +5 to all heroics type 7/8 aug

and

+15 to all heroics for a type 5 aug

That is MORE than sufficient for a level 100 character in level 100 content (when we didn't even have type 5 augs), gives them filler that will hold them through 105-115 depending on how they level up, and they can work on new augs and gear without being useless.

Appropriate gear would be the gear on the Degmar vendor, around 3000 hp gear.

So what you end up with is gear with worse hp/ac than a character that played through TDS and geared up, but with better heroics. So you're in a position right off the bat to take a group of 6 level 100 heroics and do TBM missions. So you can earn better augs in TBM and slightly better gear, or you can go right into EoK and be able to camp (as a group) the stuff dropping 3800 hp gear.
  3. Petalonyx Augur

Starting in or sending players to TBM content, or to TBM gear is the worst possible suggestion for new heroics.

The zones are not easy to access. It is hard to discern foe from friend. The zone themes are not typical of EQ, and may give false impressions. The TBM zones are generally empty. The zones are hard to navigate in and between. The missions are whacky, requiring requests in other zones. Outside of a raid, revamped PoH and PoF are not appropriate until much later. The armor and augs are confusing to use. The armor and augs don't transition well to subsequent expansions. The loot doesn't present clear upgrade choices when it drops without a lot of math and extra knowlege about augs.

I'd go so far as to suggest that new heroics must be placed AFTER TBM. Among the options after, EOK is by far the most attractive imo, excelling in almost every facet listed above. Most notably, the abilty to immediately exp with others in Lceanium and Frontier Mtns, and with clear and simple gear upgrades.
  4. Laronk Augur

At 100 you just go to FM and find groups there, they should make it the 100 hot zone too while they're at it.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Agree 100%. EoK may be best expansion ever created for EQ.

Level 100 HCs? APPROVED.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

APPROVED.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yep! APPROVED!
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sorry but I think this is a bad idea, all that does is teach players to use the wrong augs in their gear. I'd forget anything to do with TBM gear, that was the worst itemistation in the history of EQ.

Level 85 Heroics were done very well for a start in House of Thule. The tasks in the first 2 zones gave a choice of augs for each char so you could pick I think it was just hero dex and hero agi which were different per aug, but I'm pretty sure both had hero sta. Not sure if there were different choices for casters, but the last couple I've done have been melee DPS and a tank.

Personally if I was looking at creating a new Heroic Char I would base it off the level 85 one, but instead of having to kill lots of different stuff to unlock a J5 merc I would give them less killing to do but also make them read or listen to NPCs which taught them about their class. For example AC/hero Sta/Agi is best for tanks, dex is best for melee, hero wis/+heal is best for priests hero int/+damage is best for DPS casters etc. Teach them how to use auto skills, advanced looting etc, things which have been added recently which aren't in the tutorial and isn't going to be known by returning players.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Why is it incumbent on a heroic character to "teach" people how to use augs? This assumption is false.

Heroic characters aren't intended to "teach". They are intended to ease people into the game in a way that doesn't make them feel like they have to climb Mount Everest just to contribute.
    Petalonyx and Tucoh like this.
  10. TonyT New Member

Why do they need augs? Current heroic character don't start with Augs, they have to quest for them.
  11. Lilura Augur

IIRC Windstalker told Ars Technica that they are raising heroics from 85.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They still need to be created and added to relevant quests
  13. Leigo You come here often?

The idea of a level boost only isn't that bad.
    A 105 level boost, usable at any level under 105. If below 85 grants Heroic Gear. Upgrades are not all that hard to come by in today's EQ.