Why do we have 40 levels of Spell Resistence AA?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Lilura Augur

Since the devs are in AA consolidation mode, you guys should really revisit this one. With the massive mudflation of gear, it's virtually impossible to get to 110 and not have 900 across the board, even with junk gear. You certainly don't need 40 aa of it.
    Duder likes this.
  2. Szilent Augur

The basic resists stopped increasing at rank 16 of that AA. Since then, the AA has added 50 corruption resist which you aren't remotely near your cap on. Only rare characters are above 1/4 of their cap on Corruption resist.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. birdsong_pawn Augur

Sure, but since the devs are looking to consolidate and simplify the AA system, this looks like low hanging fruit to me. For instance, they could remove this AA line and allow characters to gain 2 corruption resist per level starting at level 60.

Are there many situations where 50 corruption resist can make any real difference? I only know of Xolok the Blind -- for a character of the appropriate level, 500+ corruption resist makes this fight much easier. I don't raid, so maybe there are some other situations that I don't know about. I'm under the impression that the whole corruption resist thing has been pretty much abandoned.
  4. Jennre Band Leader

They should create "heroic resists" which would take us past the cap
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

They tried that once and scrapped it . . . TSS? I forget, but it's been a long long time.
  6. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Love the idea and would love the implementation, but it would wreck havoc on their spell balance. I think they'd just end up tagging all AEs as unresistable to get around having to properly tune them.
  7. Laronk Augur

nah, Heroic resists could be like a flat x reduction in damage
    Jennre likes this.
  8. DaciksBB Augur

Awful idea, the early ranks of this AA, much like innate eminence, are still useful for early TLP.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I wouldn't be sad to see 10 new ranks of this AA add a 1% reduction each. You know that the expansion that added them would have 10% higher spell damage in return, but it'd make previous content easier, which is a big selling point of expansions for much of the playerbase in the first place, and spell damage is one of the most dangerous gameplay elements the last few years and doesn't get mitigated by better gear / levels / AAs currently.
    Laronk likes this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I believe the Devs got tired of characters constantly resisting spells. So basically, they started making spells that were unresistable. I seem to recall they stated that the entire spell resistance got too high making it impossible to have any mob spells land unless the mob's spells either had a massive negative to resistance or were unresistable.

It was for that reason they created Corruption resistance and corruption spells. To "start over". I think they would really want to remove all the current spell resistance from the whole game and start over.

Kind of like how they started to have slow be "partly effective". Again, it turned out that slowing mobs by 50% or so made slow overpowered. Pretty much they could design the mob to either not account for slow, which made them too easy if slowed; or to design them to account for slow, which made them almost impossible to beat them unless slowed. Which meant if you didn't have a reliable way to slow them you couldn't beat them.
    Mithra, Tucoh and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. Fian Augur

I have noticed on GMM raid you get a debuff that reduces your resistance by 850. That is one way to return to normal mechanics, another is to add a 850 resist modifier on the offensive spell. I am not a fan of all of these irresistible spells that they have. On the other hand, since everyone is at the soft cap due to gear, it may put too much importance on MPG trials/DON if they tuned everything assuming people are at 900 cap.

If I were to redesign the system, I would not have level cap on spells like mez. Instead, I would increase the magic resist modifier on higher level spells. So spells expect an ever expanding target resist, and higher versions help you overcome it better. So in theory you could cast a level 1 mez spell on a 115 mob, but due to the resist modifier it probably wouldn't every land. Of course, it is too late to implement that at this point in EQ life.