Fixed Quest window task steps not reset after switching characters

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Casquette, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Casquette Journeyman

When switching between two characters (camp out and enter world on a different character) who both have active quests in their Quest Journal window (alt+Q), the steps in the Task Progression section (middle section) bleed over from the other character's quests.

example
    [IMG]
    Yinadriel, Enoch, Grabatz and 5 others like this.
  2. Casquette Journeyman

I think this is just a display bug, does not affect actual task.

For another example. Here is my enchanter's quest window after camping over from my rogue. We see that on task #3, steps 3 and up are bleed-through ghost steps carried over from my rogue's quest window for one of the rogue's tasks, steps 9 through 18.
    [IMG]

Here is my rogue's quest window.
    [IMG]
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This is a VERY longstanding bug that I've seen since at least 2009, probably before that. You are correct it is just a display bug and doesn't interfere with completing task steps. Could use a fix though!
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You log in to the game using the eqgame.exe, don't you?
  5. Nniki Augur

I can reproduce this with these steps:
    1. Run EverQuest
    2. Log in character A
    3. Camp character A
    4. Log in character B
    5. View Quest Journal on character B
    • Do not need to view Quest Journal on character A
    • Single instance of EverQuest running
    • It did not work in the opposite way (B then A) with the characters I tested it with
      • Character A has quests that contain more steps than those assigned to character B
    I'm guessing the memory is being reused and not being cleared out between characters.

Not related to that.
    Casquette likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So you're saying you do bypass the launcher?

I used to have the same issue as you're describing. I also thought my /played time, vet rewards, and constant annoyance of getting SPAM filtered any time I tried chatting in general had nothing to do with bypassing the launcher, too. But I was wrong.

It's easy to try, but if you'd prefer to dismiss it out of hand that's your business. In the off-chance you'd actually like to solve your issue, here's what you do:
    1. Log out of the game completely on all accounts (because you bypassed the launcher).
    2. Run the EverQuest launchpad/launcher.
    3. Log in using the launcher.
    4. Choose your server.
    5. Choose your character.
    6. Enter the game.
    7. Log out.
    8. You can now bypass the launcher using eqgame.exe (aka NoPatch option).
    Repeat as necessary for any character you play often enough to warrant spending 3 minutes to log in using launcher.

I don't know why logging in using the launcher fixes these issues, but it does. You do not have to use the launcher every time, just one time (once per patch is my recommendation). Good luck.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They said it isn't related to bypassing the launcher because it isn't related to the launcher.

I run the launcher everytime I play, if I switch char mid play session I have this issue.
    Shaantara and Nniki like this.
  8. Nniki Augur

Those types of issues are all account-related. Information (account age, I believe) isn't getting set properly from the login server when not running the launcher.

And as Yinla stated, I said it wasn't related to bypassing the launcher because it doesn't matter if you do or do not. But since you assumed I was simply being dismissive rather than factual, I'll also let you know that I run the game via the launcher.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You were dismissive, but it couldn't possibly matter less.

Far be it from me to submit anecdotal evidence since I've actually been dealing with the quest window issues for years. However, correcting the account issues by logging all the way into the game on the character(s) in question fixed my quest window display issues.

Since you and Yinla appear to be the experts, I'll just stay quiet and not attempt to help anyone. Good day.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Logging all the way back out and back in again fixes most things, but doing the same thing again still produces the same bug.

This bug has nothing to do with how you log in though, which is what both Nniki and myself were saying.