Can Rogues molo well now?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Everdork99, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

With the change to mercs so they grab agro now....can rogues level up better with just mercs now?
  2. Eggolas Augur

Better? I suppose at lower levels that's true. The Mercenary Tank can hold aggro (designated as MT in role), but the Rogue will still have to watch aggro meter and hide every so often. The complication will arise when the Tank needs to be healed.
  3. Vhivi Elder

Rogue does fine up until Luclin zones. I know that from experience. As witnessed in another thread, there are some zones I never even considered going to, so my take on rogue molo might be skewed, but after 65 the mercenary (whether tank or healer) struggles to keep up. That is all the way up to a journeyman 1 mercenary. I never had the levels or ability to quest for any that are stronger.

The rogue needs a tank so she (yeah, Vhivi is a wood elf maiden) can backstab effectively and thus produce adequate DPS. The tank gets beaten up hard, though, and bandaging takes time even when leveled up and AA applied. As a tank the rogue is dismal, and the healer has to spam to keep up leaving her devoid of mana, and meditating from zero to full after each fight.

My plan is to level up an enchanter on a second account, and team up with my rogue. Technically that is now a group, and far away from molo. My idea is to have a tank and healer mercenary together, the rogue applying DPS as she is so good at, and the enchanter giving buffs for melee and casters as well as slows and DoTs on opponents. She can also mesmerize adds in case of a bad pull or simply a spawn or wanderer. So far at lower levels that combo has worked well. I'll let you know if it's good to get up to and hopefully beyond 70.
  4. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Contrary to the previous 2 replies ...

Molo Pairs

Rogue+Healer Level 86 clears the camp of 12 with about a 30 to 35 second wait for repop
    Shadow Knight + any merc level 86 clears the camp of 12 with about 40 second wait for repop
    Ranger + any merc level 86 clears the camp of 12 with about 20 to 25 second wait for repop

Wizard + any merc, kills 4 of 12 and needs to restart.

Druid + any merc, kills 5 / 7 of 12 and needs to restart.

Cleric+Warrior merc, kills 3 of and needs to restart.

Bard or Enchanter - I refuse to play them.

Shaman + any merc, (Caster DPS best) level 86, kills 4 and oom and needs to restart.

Barbarian + healer, so bad it hurts. DPS is insufficient.

Mage, Necro, + any merc have been solid performers not as fast as the first 3 but also not as taxed.
  5. Indemus New Member

what camp of 12 ?
    what are you talking about ?
    woeofsorrow likes this.
  6. Enigma Maitreya Augur

There are 12 fixed level 78 Crocodiles in Looping Plains on the shore. They provide a reliable measurement for effective dps. The only variant is there are 2 spawns that although they appear closer a passing bear or frog behind them are selected as the target when you hit F8, they are also level 78, but do not have the Hit Points or Damage.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I can't fathom why you'd be willing to play a wizard but not an enchanter.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks for posting that.

One comment on the chanter (and druid, for that matter). They can swarm-charm the gators without a merc, and be done in less time than the SK+merc combo ;)

Unfortunately, only works where mobs are snarable/non-summoning/charmable :(
  9. Enigma Maitreya Augur

I do not think I said I would be willing to play a Wizard.

Periodically I use a Heroic count to test all the class's to see how revisions have worked out.

This process has added Rogue and Shadow Knight to my playable characters.

I wanted Paladin to work out but it was just to flat in the end.

I would have liked to have a Berserker (Misidentified by me earlier as Barbarian) but I could simply see no way to include it. I would think DB / EQ should be embarrassed over this class.

I have 3 accounts 1 of them is just for max class buffs and porting, I have kind of grudgingly added the Wizard to that account as it has different port points. But I can not see how to MOLO it, yet I can see how to MAYBE 2 box it with one of the other 2 accounts. The question would still remain does that make a more effective 2 box than say a Druid 2 box. The Druid being a more Jack of all Trades Master of None vs the Wizard Boomers.

For the Record, I should have added:

Warrior, level 86 + Healer Merc, clears camp, perhaps 5 to 10 seconds for repop.

Ha ha, that I forgot about the Warrior, kind of says, were my thoughts are about the warrior. Sufficient yet not ... quite what I want.
  10. Eggolas Augur

OP asked about leveling up a rogue molo. Some interesting responses, but do we know what constitutes leveling up? With good gear and a healer against light blues in the 70s? Or is OP asking about fighting dark blues in the 80s and up? I saw a 105 raid geared rogue molo HoT zones with little trouble a few years ago. That is nice for progression, but leveling it is not.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Lol.
    Eggolas likes this.
  12. Eggolas Augur

You win.
  13. Finfan Augur

I'm guessing that "molo" means to solo with a mercenary. Is that correct? If that's the case I can say that a Bard + Tank merc is doable although one of the main reasons is that with Selo's we can run away faster than most things can chase us. Crowd control is difficult and adds are a problem.
  14. Gnomeland Augur

Rogues can molo level just fine. Equipment different story but I assume that's the case for everyone except for 2 or 3 select classes.