eq doesn't start states there is a virus in the error msg

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by jboots, Nov 15, 2019.

1. jboots New Member

In the middle of playing eq the game just closed and when i tried to log back in i couldn't and got the error message that there is virus on my system from the game launcher.
    I used windows defender and found detplock trojan linked to eq exe. and removed the virus but every time i try to login i go through the same process.
    When i tried to uninstall eq i get the message 'this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way' and i can't uninstall it.

At this point i can neither play the game or get rid of it and i don't know what to do.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That is a very generic trojan and could have gotten onto your system any number of ways and attached itself to the EQ.exe. The bad thing is it is in your registry. And windows defender does not always get it out - you might need to go thru starting in safe mode etc.

If your still getting the error then its not totally removed or you did not get it out of the registry.

The runtime error message when you try to uninstall EQ is a common microsoft uninstall error which is due to the conflict of the windows uninstaller and the program's own uninstaller procedure. It can happen on any program not just EQ. And is not related to the detplock.

To remove EQ it is generally enough to just find and delete the folder+subfolders its installed into. EQ does not really install into your registry.
  3. jboots New Member

4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I would google that error: detplock trojan - make sure your windows stuff is up to date since they said they put a fix in an update but I see other sites saying its tough to remove.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is not an EQ problem. This is a PC/security problem. No one here can help you with this. Go to your PC repair shop.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  6. jboots New Member

Yeah i have tried everything. I've scheduled a call with MS support and maybe that will help.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Unless you are posting under different names then there are others saying they are getting this same message. Posted under bug reports
  8. jboots New Member

no i am not using other names. I will look it up.
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's definitely not the users PC. Just patched test and uploaded the file to Virus Total and it's detected as Trojan:Win32/Detplock