Best way to bring up melee skills

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by DukeS0n, Mar 21, 2017.

1. DukeS0n Journeyman

My level 30 monk is lacking in some various melee skills, I am looking to see if anyone knows how I can bring my skill up. I have been trying to find light blues but most of what I see are blue yellow red.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Monk skills suck in some ways. As you get each special attack you will find it has its own skill. So you get Tiger Claw up a ways only to replace it later with Eagle Strike and start all over again. Ditto when you get Dragon Punch/Tail Rake. In addition, they can only be used every 6 seconds so you can't spam the key. Mend is even worse. I tied my special attack and Mend together so I could get some skill in Mend. That means I'm using Mend when I don't need it (at the early levels) but otherwise it just takes forever.
  3. Pictarous Augur

No idea if it has been changed, but on Phinny during Classic era I would skill up by dueling a necro buddy and wailing away on his pet for as long as I needed.
  4. DukeS0n Journeyman

my hand to hand seems low, its like i cant hit anything in a group with my bare hands and can barley kick do you use weapons leveling up or just hand to hand ?
  5. Astley Augur

While leveling up, I would use a 1HB with bare fist to keep them both leveled up. Periodically rotating in a 2HB to keep that one going also.

Best bet is to get loaded up on Shaman buffs when fighting to boost your Dexterity higher while fighting to increase skill-up rate, and just suck it up for a bit. Go bare fists for awhile x2 to keep it goingup, or if your DPS is really bad, just leave your off-hand empty and you'll get skill-ups passively.
  6. Garmr Augur

Best way is to just use whatever weapon is laggin behind while fighting in a group. If you're feeling guilty your DPS s.ucks and you aren't contributing, take some time, find a group that's killing yellow-red mobs somewhere and ask if they mind if you work skill ups on their mobs (not intimidate...that just pisses folks off)). 99.9% folks do not have a problem with that at all and skills go up pretty quick,

Once maxed in your skills, make sure to keep a weapon of each type on you and as you level rotate them out until each skill is capped then switch to your best ratio weps until you ding again.
    snailish likes this.
  7. DukeS0n Journeyman

thank you for the advice, do you need magic boots in order to kick certain mobs similar to how you need magic gloves to hit them with hands or weapons ?
  8. skattabrainz Augur

Stay online afk in plane of knowledge with a melody playing overnight.

Well, that's how my bard raised HIS skills...
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Monk fists are considered magic weapons at level 30, as far as I know. Also your gloves being magic doesn't matter at all, only the weapon being magic in order to hit, say, a ghoul. Im not sure if equipping magic gloves makes monk fists hit things that require a magic weapon or not, but I am almost sure magic boots do nothing.
  10. CatOnTheKeyboard New Member

Don't know if this still works, I've only been back playing like a week after about 15 years away, but 'back in the day'...

... since in those eras past you could hit notably higher red mobs to work them, you could
    Step 1: Find someone/people (or ask friends you knew) pulling creatures in a zone high enough you're not ready for it but low enough creatures don't entirely one shot you.
    Step 2: Ask them (politely) if you can hit what they pull to work your skill.
    Step 3 [Profit] : You get the skill up, you're hitting a high enough level creature, they don't lose any xp, you're too low level (and NOT grouped with them). It's a win for you and good karma/a favored owed to them down the road.
  11. Solidude Apprentice

Just be patient. It is a part of the grind. I just turned 56 on my monk, and am finding that I am constantly swapping out the 1HB, 2HB and H2H each level because they are maxing out quickly.

My favorite place are the dromreks in Goru Kar Mesa. They stay light blue for a time. I've maxed a ranger, cleric, SK, druid, necro and monk's combat skills all there recently. Pop in a healer merc and/or bring lots of bandages to minimize downtime (bind wound is fun!), and relax. The treants in Blightfire worked for all my chars there during those levels (30s). Just gotta realize it will take time, like tradeskilling. Don't watch the xp bar, think of it like actual practice. Just keep doing it, dedicate a night or three to just that.

I even worked the treants in the Moors and the dromrek in the Mesa for throwing skills. Used a tank merc, buy couple stacks of shuriken and just fling away. Haste potions help as well.

Certainly not exciting, but again....it is supposed to be practice...;)

Good luck
  12. Quazilla Journeyman

Grey area option as it is clever use of game mechanics:
    Find someone with Pet Discipline and a pet that is higher level than you. /duel them or go to the arena and just beat up their pet, with /pet hold on, so that it does not attack you back (unless you need to skill up defensive as well)

Intended options:
    The other alternative is to like others said, beat up on groups mobs out of group, slack on your dps on your offhand while you work the skill, or fight light blue or higher mobs that you can solo without risking dying.

Just remember Dex = Skillup rate for melee skills, and AGI = Skillup for defensive skills
  13. AgentofChange Augur

While this is a great option I would not recommend doing it in the arena, or anywhere people commonly travel, unless you want to be suspended or griefed.

You also don't need someone with pet discipline.
  14. Quazilla Journeyman

I haven't seen anything in the EULA regarding dueling pets being against terms. I know you have to be at your keyboard and they do not allow you to do things while unattended/afk, but is there something you have seen in the EULA that dueling pets is directly breaking the guidelines and ban-able? Or something that could be construed that way?
  15. Tnslife New Member

Quazilla is correct. As long as you're at the keyboard and at least monitoring everything (which you should be doing anyway if you use the tactic I'm about to post, because you'll need to watch for when you hit max skill so you can change weapon types and you need to watch to make sure you don't kill your merc), they can't suspend you. If you set yourself on autoattack or autofire and then go afk, that's a no no.

But you won't need to go afk, these skills will go up very quickly now, at least with the tactic I just used a few days ago.

I box SK and Rogue. I just finally managed to grind them both up to level 110, and decided it was time to get my skills up. In the beginning, I thought that I could just bring both toons to the Thurgadin arena (It's a nice, quiet spot) and have them duel each other with a cleric merc to heal them up...

No skillups fighting another player character.

But at some point, I hit the wrong button and my rogue targeted one of the healer mercs instead of the SK, and I started getting skillups FAST.

So here's what you do...
    1. Buy cheap, low dps weapons for each melee skill you want to work on.
    2. Go to the Thurgadin arena, pop out a cleric merc.
    3. Use the low dps weapons and just attack the cleric merc until you max out the skill.
    Keep an eye on this. You will want to see immediately when your skill maxes out, and you'll also want to make sure that you stop if your merc gets too low on mana so they can continue to heal themselves.
    4. I used this tactic to fully skillup both my SK and my Rogue on all weapon skills, including hand-to-hand, archery, and throwing (use /autofire command for archery and throwing). For the skills that they don't use often (my rogue was already maxxed with piercing and SK was already maxxed for 1h Slashing), I needed more than 100 skillups. I managed to max out all melee skills on both toons in less than 2 hours using this method. I grouped my toons together when I did this, so that both cleric mercs could also heal each other. I positioned both my toons and their respective mercs in opposite corners of the Thurgadin arena for archery and throwing, because I needed to ensure their was adequate distance between them to use the skills.

A caveat...you can only do this with offensive skills, because your merc isn't attacking you back. For defensive skills, you'll need to either use someone else's pet who can attack you, or skill them up in actual combat with mobs. For me, the SK defensive skills were already maxxed, and the rogue just needed one point in defense to max out, which was quickly provided by the SK's pet.
  16. That0neguy Augur

Holy necro batman!
    Bobbybick likes this.
  17. nostalgicfool Augur

Back on phionigel in PoP ear my shaman helped a mage friend with melee. She would set pet on passive , haste and buff melee stats for the mage and then she would from time to time throw torpor or the upgrade of torpor on pet.

Worked fine.
  18. Jarjarboo New Member

This was posted before the skill changes, so ignore.