A reality check for these forums regarding TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Rothj Augur

- No one actually cares about anything after PoP, besides a small minority.
    - People don't actually want to play PoP after they've completed it. (agnarr)
    - Faster exp or boosted characters ONLY serve to burn out the content faster. People say they will make alts more or it will encourage them to actually play more, but in reality they just burn through the game faster and quit (selos). This only serves instant gratification of the individual but does not extend the life of the server.

The ONLY appeal TLP's actually have is people chasing that fresh server experience and because the content of the first few expansions is good and suits the game world well. PoK books slowly kill the game every time because they feed into that loop of instant gratification which just makes people less interested over time. Whether you think this is true or not, every single server has pretty much followed this pattern. Phinigel and ragefire have lasted on the fact that people put time into their characters and are invested in them at this point.
    wade_watts and MMOer like this.
  2. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

3. HoodenShuklak Augur

How dare you.
  4. VandilIzer Augur

Cool story bro.
    Skuz and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Nolrog Augur

Source?
  6. Kloodge Elder

That is all mostly true, and why I forced myself to leave Agnarr for a few days and try Miragul. House of Thule with a heroic character is surprisingly fun if you take a few minutes to learn what the new AA's do. Honestly, about half of them you can get by without ever using (depending on class I suppose).

You can group with anyone and everyone understands that a lot of us are still learning the class at this level.
  7. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

I'm more concerned about the suspensions which were arbitrarily handed out to players who had VM software on their PCs for purposes unrelated to EQ, and the subsequent sluggish response to players seeking clarification on the rules. This needs to be addressed with urgency.
  8. Finnster Elder

fixed it for you.
  9. Rothj Augur

imagine thinking this
    WaitingforMoreEQ likes this.
  10. Hateseeker Augur

no source, there's a contingent of those who don't want anything but classic to somewhere between velious and PoP, while the rest of us want to see stuff that came after. Selo TSS incoming!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

The smouldering wreckage that remains after the exodus to the brand new/shiny server, leaving behind a ghost town is the main reality check that needs to be addressed in my eyes.
    Graethos likes this.
  12. Yolan Lorekeeper

I personally enjoy Selo. Every month its a rush to get aa/levels/spells/flags etc before the next expansion. I wouldn't want to slog through EQ again like I did originally. The fast pace is why I like Selo. I do agree that after a certain point there was a drop off in players which is why people have suggested things like removing motm, adding mercs earlier etc. to hold peoples interest.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

True.

False. Agnaar had a good population in PoP for like 8-9 months.
    False. The biggest factor with burnout on Selo was the half lockout speed. Agnarr had the fastest XP of any Phinny clone and it was the highest population of the Phinny clones. There is a point when XP is too fast, but none of the classic TLP have been too fast.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

FTFY
  15. Hateseeker Augur

with all the classic starts, burnout would be a good reason for 50% of players to leave after PoP. Selo was nice in Luclin but Selo 2.0 needs to be TSS start most likely.

Miragul might have been a nice concept but it lacks proper fast exp like Selo and enhanced rares, and HoT is way too late a start, considering there's never been any post PoP starts (not counting that racing server).
  16. Sirhc Apprentice

The POK books are bad (rip druids and wizards) but getting rid of corpse runs was the real mistake imo. That's part of what made the game world so exciting and dangerous, now there is almost no risk involved in anything besides the chance of losing a small amount of xp. Really game breaking
  17. Finnster Elder

concering "nobody cares about EQ after PoP". Look at phinnyprogress.com : 22 raid guilds during PoP. 21 raid guilds during GoD. And it didn't even list LDON/LOY. So over a course of 2 expansions, the raid guilds dropped by 5%! That is a clear indication that roughly 95% of the players that played during PoP still played during GoD.

Do you still want to insist that nobody cares for EQ after PoP? You're the 5%.
    Tymeless and Bardy McFly like this.
  18. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

19. HoodenShuklak Augur

You could easily lump Gates with PoP... or simply call it "level 65 era EQ"

That's probably what he's getting at. EQ changes fundamentally and rapidly post-PoP/Gates era.
  20. Finnster Elder

22 raid guilds in PoP,
    21 in GoD,
    19 in OoW,
    18 in DoN,
    17 in DoDH,
    15 in PoR,
    14 in TSS,
    13 in TBS, ...

yes, it's declining. But the decline is steady. It's roughly 1 guild less per xpac. The decline was not "I quit after PoP".

To everybody who claims that the majority of people doens't want to play beyond expansion X, please remember that you are the <10%.