EQ3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Warpeace Augur

Lets see in what 5 days?:p
  2. Zippie Journeyman

Except ... that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Game companies do not go out to their "potential" customer base and say, "give us a ton of money up front, and we will make a game for you" for the most part. They instead do this thing called invest money in to the development of a game with the hope of making a large return on investment when the game releases.

I realize all of the independent developers using things like Kickstarter and GoFundMe have the public thinking that's how things are done now days, but that truly is not the way that tripple A games are made.

1. Invest money
    2. Develop game
    3. Release game
    4. Get Return on investment
    5. Rinse and repeat
    That's how actual game development studios work.

Daybreak Games owns the intellectual property of the Everquest game, and their parent company is insanely wealthy. If said parent company felt there was potential for good RoI for producing a new EQ-based product, they would invest the money in to having it made.

I don't know why people on these forums keep thinking that a new Everquest game would take money and resources away from the current development efforts.

If they were making a new game, their parent company would be allocating more money to the effort of hiring a team to work on the game OR hire a separate development studio to develop it.

Honestly, does nobody on these forums understand how business works at all?
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

Umm? You do realize I was replying to your comment, directly right?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You're allowed to think and post anything you like (within forum rules).

Your Forum Quest style will separate the winners from the losers.

Sorry to scare people with the logic of not dividing a 20 year old game that has already been divided 15 years ago....BOO! :eek:
  5. Sikkun Augur

How many triple A games has DBG made?

Literally one of the first things that happened after SoE dumped the oh so profitable IP was to CANCEL EQ3.

So what does that tell you about how the parent company feels about the ROI?
  6. Zippie Journeyman

Reading it in that context, I can see what you mean.

What I meant was that the original poster was saying that he/she has money willing to spend on a new game meaning that that person would buy the game if it was made; not that they would pay for it's development ahead of time.
  7. Zippie Journeyman

I would think that the last effort was the Planetside2 Arena thing. It didn't exactly succeed, but they did put a lot of money in to it. Ultimately, they were after the esports trend that a lot of publishers have thrown money at this decade. Esports is not nearly as lucrative as publishers think it is, and they are learning the hard way.

Other than that, none. EQ, EQ2, Planetside, Planetside 2, and H1Z1 were all developed by Sony Online Entertainment (well technically EQ was ... nevermind.. just go with it). Vanguard was made by Sigil Games, and acquired by Sony Online Entertainment. So, yeah Planetside 2 Arena is probably the only new development that Daybreak Games has officially announced since the company changed names from Sony Online Entertainment to Daybreak Games.

You are correct that it does not show any confidence in their parent company when it comes to developing a new game based on the Everquest IP.

But... keep in mind that most times development of a new game is not made public knowledge until much later in the development cycle. There very well could be a game(s) in development that we do not know about. There could be partnerships with other development studios where said game(s) are being made. These are the things that we can't know until they decide to let us know.

I have a hard time believing that SoE was purchased with the sole purpose of letting it's star IP whither and die. Yes. They killed Everquest Next, but if you saw any of the behind the scenes talk on "other forums", you would know that there were issues. They needed to clean the slate.

Daybreak Games has shown a willingness to develop their existing IPs. You can see that with Planetside 2 Arena. They didn't have to do that. They chose to do it. They hired people, spent a lot of money on the game, and delivered. The game just didn't go over, but DBG tried.

There have been two efforts in the past (that we know of) where there has been actual work done on developing a new iteration of Everquest. The first one got rebooted, and they started over with what was called Everquest Next. That alone tells me that in the company, there is push to further develop the license in to new games. If they convinced the people in charge of the purse strings to spend money on at least TWO efforts to make a new game, then there clearly is a desire to make a new game there.

Long story short... I do not believe that the IP is dead, and I do believe there is something being made right now.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You don't know jack bro.
  9. Zippie Journeyman

Ok.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. xmPradah Not a dude

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "sell the IP"?? Do you mean the domain?

everquest3.com is for sale and eq3.com is owned by a Canadian home furnishings store.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Intellectual Property: the rights for the company to create content in the trademarked world of Norrath and it's associated lore.
    Vumad likes this.
  12. Sikkun Augur

Not sure I would even call PS2 arena Triple A, but with that and the nantG-mobile. Continued focus (and failure) of H1Z1 shows us where the ideas were. The rumor of a EQ2 battle Royale having been (being) worked on seems FAR more likely than a MMO (which are insanely expansive and the market is no longer hot).

So unless EQ3 arena is really what fans are wanting......I wouldn’t spend a lot of time getting excited. EQ isn’t (sorry to break our hearts) some insanely valuable IP. Star Wars is, and SWG never really took off. TOR never met expectations, other studious don’t really need the EQ DND inspired IP to develop good fantasy games.

Follow the money though...no one will really be shocked if a new game is announced that it’ll be a mobile game with tons of micro transactions.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. xmPradah Not a dude

I think it's been heavily hinted at that "something big" is in store for EQ - but, what does that mean? I don't think it's EQ3 unless they are going to relaunch development of EQN and rebrand it... but I don't think they'd call it EQ3.

Just my thoughts. I don't care one way or another - if they launch a new EQ, I'll try it out.
  14. xmPradah Not a dude

Ahhh, see I had my IP = Internet Protocol hat on :) Didn't even bother looking outside my box.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Jimmy, it's been tried. And tried. And tried. And tried. And tried. All failed.

One of the reasons EQ is still afloat is because they failed. The reason they failed is because sequels are always an afterthought. The original overshadows the sequels.

Had they planned for EQ to live on for two decades, they would have done a LOT of things differently. But that's the benefit of hindsight. It's always 20/20.

If you yearn for modern graphics, find a different game. I promise you, they all fall short of EverQuest's charm and challenge.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  16. Dewey Augur

The worse thing eq ever did was eq 2 from a buissness standpoint. It split resources. It split the games population. Many that played regular eq quit because they "thought it was the end of regular eq"

It was the same time wow was released. There was also star wars galaxy. Not to mention the dreaded God expansion that crippled progression.

Making eq3 only steals from eq and eq2s base. Smaller server populations. People who have been playing eq for 20 years will not go to eq3.

The smartest business move eq could make it an updated clone of everquest with updated software. Copy all the data over and continue on.

If they could update the game to current. Combine eq and eq2 together without anyone "loosing" progression. The items and everything would have to transfer and be useful in both games.

Combining the two with no loss of information and upgrading the system... That is what eq 3 should be,if it is going to be. One where when I log in I still have my character. I can still go to East Freeport and do epic quest. All the while having the option to take my character to everquest 2.earn AAs, get tradeskill supplies, do quest....

I love eq and don't want to leave it,like forever. The only solution in my eyes would be to combine both games. Then develop the future of both together.

Nothing makes more money than crossover comics, games, movies... The problem is actually doing it.

If both games are combined and updated to current software. It would give those playing eq all of eq2s content. And those playing eq2 all of eqs content.

I hope to eee it someday.

Not to mention that updating the software. Would allow necros to put more dots on mobs since there seems to be a limit on debuff slots.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  17. Chorus Augur

or just update eq to 64 bit, then a lot of those limitations can be removed. Can create new races, new classes as well as increase the debuff limit into the thousands on raid mobs. It also solves the bazaar limitations as well.

I don't understand why the cross from 32 bit to 64 bit is such a limitation to companies. going from 8 to 16 to 32 didn't cause this much consternation. Just embrace it already and be done with it. Even new titles are building 32 bit versions instead of just writing 64 bit code only. That boggles my mind even though I work in tech.
  18. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

This new game, this EQ3, if it ever does come out, must recognize the true importance of fashion. That is why these two features are of uttermost importance:

Fully customizable outfit: Your character can wear any type clothing or gear provided they fit. That's right, your wizard can wear chain links if he wants, though it might hurt his ability to perform complex movements. However, he might also wear a fashionable set of thin cloth gloves so that his hands are unimpeded. Oh, and just be wary of those electrical spells.

A new house: Come on down! That's right. Design your character's backstory and present circumstance or choose from pre-designed ones. Begin with a house. A wardrobe. Your character will feel as if he or she has had a life when you begin the game. Or, do you know people in the game already? Then perhaps you might start as a member of their household if they have space or perhaps you might begin your journey with a guild and live in the guild's housing. Have your sponsor invite you with the sponsorship feature. You will receive instructions in your email.
  19. Zamiam Augur

lol I think you want EQ to become a game its not or EQ3 which will never happen .. get over it .. and just accept what EQ is and when you get that urge for the higher end games just go play them for awhile .. we will keep the EQ servers up and running for ya when you come back ..
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Pretty much. Guy talks about Planetside 2 arena as a late to the party esports thing, but H1Z1 was the first popular game like that, Fortnite copied them, they just did it 100x better.
    MasterMagnus likes this.