Help Canceling Subscription

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NameAlreadyInUse, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sikkun Augur

A VM allows you run another OS on your machine. Plenty of legitimacy reasons why you might run versions of Linux, etc on a PC. It by itself does nothing to EQ any more than Chrome does, but people have used them to get around Truebox.

So the question is did they only ban people getting around truebox? Then it’s not a big deal.
    Did then ban people for having software not interacting with EQ? Then there is a real problem.
    Zamiam likes this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

can or does this VM -virtual machine need to be turned on in win10 or can you deactivate it while using EQ ?
    if VM is a standard program that comes with win10 I would think there should be a way to turn it OFF per say .. under task manager / services ? maybe .. while you play EQ ..

I would think DB has a way of knowing if said VM software was interacting with EQ .. I think most people run win10 now ( I do not im still win7 :p_ ) any peeps running win10 know anything about this VM software that is part of win10 ? have you had any suspensions from just run EQ with win10 and not the VM part of it .. ?
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

And that is why the first concern in my list is the lack of communication from DBG.
  4. Sikkun Augur

Why should you have to turn off programs that have nothing to do with EQ or interact with EQ in any way shape or form? Should you have to turn off Spotify, iTunes, Chrome, etc? No obviously not.

You 100% should be allowed to run a VM (not play EQ on one, which is a violation of the rules) and play EQ banning any one for doing so would be stupid. So stupid I don’t actually believe they did it, but maybe they went to heavy with the ban hammer? Can’t prove it.

But yes you could turn off your VMs, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to run one. Not really a game companies business what you do with your machine that doesn’t interact with the exe. Developer wants to lock down the users that bad, they need to stick to console games.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

I agree , if trying to use VM program for getting around truebox then no big deal for the peeps getting suspended / banned..

if not using said VM for anything related to EQexe or launchpad then yes they have a major problem ..that needs to be fixed..

to those peeps who are truly innocent , im sorry this happened to ya and hope they can resolve this issue quickly for you..

for those that are not innocent you get what you deserve
    Sikkun likes this.
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Its not something that's normally running in W10, or any other OS. You have to launch a VM to have one running. It isn't even part of the default install of windows 10. You have to select it as a feature. ******

Now, all those asterisks are for some specific things:
    WSL: Windows Subsystem (for) Linux -- This allows you to run linux command line tools integrated with your win10 install. If you have this installed and a BASH shell open, then hyper-v is running.
    Windows Sandbox: This allows you to open programs in their own little environment. To do this it requires Hyper-V.

Quite likely, simply having VM software on your PC is not what got these people suspended. Only DBG knows for sure what flags got tripped and what specific reasons each account was suspended for. For example I have both VMWare Player and Hyper-V on my desktop, as well as the WSL system installed and running most times, and my account seems just fine. However I never box.
  7. Zamiam Augur

off topic a bit ..

I run win7 and I know im gonna have to upgrade to win10 soon .. they are gonna stop supporting it the end of this year i think ..

I box multiple accounts .. I do not play on TLP's at least not yet and I'll probably never play on a true box server if I ever did start to play on TLP ..

when I upgrade to win10 will this effect me in any way on live servers or non true box TLP's I do not use VM's or anything else I think .. I do use i s b x r mainly for the windows and cpu and memory allocating .
  8. Zanarnar Augur

You will be fine upgrading to W10, as long as your hardware is fully supported. (It likely is; I have W10 running on some real old hardware and its .. tolerable).
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

This thread is about canceling a subscription which was resolved 3 hours ago. May as well lock this thread as the OP got the answer he wanted.
  10. Sikkun Augur

You’ll be fine, it’s not a windows 10 thing. Everyone who has VMs knows how and why they have them. Just a default upgrade is Windows 10 isn’t going to give you anything that would get you banned.
  11. dreamweaver Community Manager

Since this thread is moving off topic I am going to lock in since the OP request was resolved. If you'd like to continue the current discussion I would ask that those talking about it start a thread in the player support area of the forums.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.