EK is not dead...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shattered_dream, Nov 13, 2019.

1. shattered_dream Journeyman

So A little while ago I posted a thread with images...so how about a video update...

MasterMagnus, Duder and Addikeys like this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

I think any serious attempt at modernizing EQ by a fan would start with the first task of figuring out how to export whatever the EQ model/texture/animation/sprite/misc art assets are into a format that unity / unreal can use. If you can't do that, it's a non-starter. This is non-trivial of course.

If you're just looking to learn whatever engine you're using and want to see East Karana made as you're learning, that's totally reasonable and fine, and you did a great job.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  3. shattered_dream Journeyman

Actually all that has already happened. I have every original texture, material and art.
    Simple matter of exporting the S3D file as an OBJ and importing into Blender, then exporting as an FBX. Now it is in Unity and you can run around the actual EQ zones. I am just updating the graphics of it. But why would I want original anything other than some nostalgic things?
    If you missed it I also have South Qeynos, and started on Halas as well.
    EDIT
    Feel free to try it, just select the EQ directory (older EQ, up to Titanium I think, they have to be S3D files) and you can use the arrow keys to fly around the zones.
    https://github.com/Shendare/EQZip
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The extractors have been around for years. Also PS2 extractor that worked on Landmark files as well as anything they had in the forgelight engine.
  5. shattered_dream Journeyman

To clue you in more...
    We are working on integrating my client with EQemu server to just 'plug-n-play" without rebuilding databases.
    However There is a project on another forum where someone has successfully exported all weapons/lore/items etc into msql, which my server is using...so we have options. Once I get a little more finished to demo I will see if I can legally pursue this (for no profit) just for fans. Or maybe just get a job with them hahaha.
    Zippie and MasterMagnus like this.
  6. shattered_dream Journeyman

We are thinking it shouldn't be too tough, most of EQ is just GUI interactions. Not a lot of actual in world interactions. I will of course keep people updated. Am hoping as I get further along I will get interest from people to help out. My youtube channel is not that busy but feel free to subscribe for new videos on this.