Has anyone had their suspensions lifted yet?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PotatoPower, Nov 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Any of you guys had your suspension lifted yet for being falsely flagged as using VM software which may have been installed but wasn't in use?

The other thread was locked with the Mod saying to message him about the suspensions. I messaged hours ago, no response yet, I understand they may be very busy with this issue but just wanted to check that it's being addressed.
  2. Machen New Member

Her*.

She probably isn't working at 8 PM when you sent your PM... Check back tomorrow.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Imbetterthanyou New Member

responses have happened, machen as usual is rambling obvious non-absolutes..."probably", asking is perfectly logical.
    PotatoPower likes this.
  4. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Well a whole bunch of saidsts have come out of the woodwork to rub salt in the wounds all over this forum. This is why Daybreak needs a pvp tlp server, it would quarrantine the toxic element all in one place and free up the rest of the game for the people who aren't @ssholes.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

From Dreamweavers profile page:
    Birthday:
    February 25
    Community Manager
  6. Frustration New Member

Im not too concerned with the suspensions. I've cancelled all my accounts for now ($100 a month worth) , once 7 days goes by, I'll consider reupping.

What they DO need to do, is clarify WHY the bans occurred, and what the difference between a ban and a suspension is.

In my experience, they banned a linux box I used a VM on to play. OK, I can at least understand why they chose to discipline it. I feel a suspension here would have been more adequate, as I have no prior suspensions, warnings, or anything.

4 days later, My brand new account, i created to replace that account, was suspended. This machine has a VM program on the PC - But was never loaded / used to play EQ in any way. My issue is; Are they telling us that we cannot have any VM or virtualization software on any PC that runs EQ Client? If so, they need to clearly state this. I will have to uninstall and purchase a new computer for VM purposes only.
    PotatoPower likes this.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

Well, I have vmware player (occasional-rare usage) installed on my gaming machine, as well as hyper-v (almost never used anymore) and the WSL subsystem installed (another hyper-v VM, but this one is almost always running as I generally have at least one BASH shell up)

So far, my account has not been banned. I do NOT box, I do use some 3rd party software, but its limited to Magelo Sync, GAMParse, and my bidbot (which is also basically a log parser). The latter 2 just tail logs, the former is the only one that pokes the EQ memory to read your character info.

Perhaps all the people here rattling sabers were using some unnamed, not allowed, 3rd party software and are just mad they got caught/DBG is finally paying attention. Seems far more likely then them banning a bunch of paying customers over the simple presence of vm software on their computers.
  8. LOL123 New Member

I can't even cancel my subscription yet because my account is still suspended. Will definitely be taking my money and walking away from DBG.
  9. Silver-Crow Augur

Well actually all they need is a FV Ruleset TLP with no truebox, and that would quarantine all the regular @sshats like a moth to the flame, so the rest of us can enjoy the game properly on the rest of the servers.
  10. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Maybe you weren't online when the scan happened. Maybe the enormous number of players being flagged by the scan was why the servers went mysteriously offline with no warning day before yesterday, as they saw something was wrong and ceased their process. Maybe the next ban wave has your name on it. Whatever, I don't know. I can never prove to your satisfaction that I don't cheat at this game. I'm not going to try. This is the problem with a false accusation, you are put in an impossible position, to prove a negative. If you are lucky, you will never be in such a position in your life.

If you can't tell from these posts that a lot of honest players have been caught up in a mess here then there's not really anything more to say to you. This does not look like the typical reaction that follows a ban wave to me, including the one last week. This is how honest people react when they are accused of something. Our names have been tarnished for something we didn't do. If I'd done it, I'd call a week holiday a light sentence and keep quiet about it. But there's a mark against some of our names which does not belong there.

I'm not rattling a sabre. I'm trying to get what was obviously a mistake corrected so I can play my favorite game again. And I'd like to be able to play it with the peace of mind knowing that if, in future, some mistake of this sort is made again, sanity will prevail and arbitrary bans won't just be dished out in this fashion again and not reversed when players aren't doing what they're accused of. It makes it rough to want to invest hundreds of hours and dollar knowing this kind of thing can happen. Believe it or not I am trying to do this not just for unfairly targeted players because I don't see how this is healthy for the game or the company that runs it. That's not rattling a sabre.
  11. Warpeace Augur

Except this sounds exactly like what everyone said during Cacti Gate. Yes there were people that didn't abuse it and were scooped up into their suspensions. But they also refused to admit it and basically said enjoy your 7 day suspension. So....

Everyone trying to blame windows 10 :p
  12. Polekn Augur

I have VMWare installed that I use for work. I usually have 1-2 VMs running, but I never had EQ installed in any virtual machines. I am not suspended (yet?).
  13. voidtek1969 Lorekeeper

They scan several times at least between waves. That way they can triple+ check names of people running vm at the same time as EQ. They also run scans at different times during the day/night when they do it. So it isn't a matter of "oh you must have not been online at the time of the scan". It doesn't work like that when game companies scan for things like this. They aren't going to do "a scan". They are going to do a bunch of scans, and get all the times and check & recheck over time. That's why these things take time. It isn't an overnight process where they quickly jot down some names and then suspend/ban.
  14. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Idk how it works. Whatever they do it has detected a dormant program that wasn't in use. Until this blew up I didn't know what a VM was or that the guy who built my main account's machine had put one on it (which I never used - I thought it was some necessary component of Windows. It was a logo in the background I never bothered clicking). I two-box and bought a 2nd PC to do it (the account on the 2nd PC wasn't actioned). Again, I can't prove that to the people who want to troll these threads. If this didn't impact you guys, why are you here to just point the finger and say we're lying? There's nothing we can do to convince you we're not. And you're not going to convince me I am. Why participate in the threads? Unless you are a sadist or sociopath who enjoys the suffering of others?

DBG should be glad that the honest players are bringing this problem to their attention, I'm sure a number are just quietly walking away. Unless sabotaging the game itself was the whole point of this exercise, who knows.
  15. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

I would advise you to go out and buy new computers, find new desktop space for them all, yes, you ought to go to all that trouble and expense, so that an unused program in the background (or a program being used for other perfectly legit reasons, such as work, or such as other games that allow their use), does not cause you to be arbitrarily banned with no right of reply.
  16. Sikkun Augur

For an “enormous” number of players effected by this, I counted 7 people that claim they had VMs not for playing EQ. Probably some false positives....doesn’t really seem like many though.

And for whatever reason they only play on TLPs (possible only TLPs were scanned).
    Xanathol likes this.
  17. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

All I know is I'm one of them and I'm not the only one. And given that many acknowledge a futility in appealing this kind of thing, would you be surprised not everyone is here talking? I guess because I am new here and have some faith that the people making decisions in this business will see reason, I am still posting. I mean I can't log in and play my main account, I don't like World of Warcraft, I don't want to start over on a corrupt p99 box, so I got time to kill.

But anyway, sure, I can't prove to your satisfaction that I wasn't using a VM to play this game. You go out and try to prove a negative sometime. You'll find it's not easy or fun to do. Maybe in your world an accusation alone is proof enough of guilt, sounds like a horrible place to live.
  18. Metapsyche Augur

I’m pretty shocked that so many “legit” boxers were caught up in this tragedy! I mean one guy was banned and now he’s going to cancel all TEN of his TLP subscriptions. I wonder what he’s going to do with all TEN of those computers he’s been managing to control at once...

Oh please.
  19. Sikkun Augur

It’s not unreasonable to assume some people got flagged improperly, which is why your talk to the company, they are the only ones who can help you. But the point is if a significant amount of false positives happened there would be a much larger outrage.
  20. Clonkers Lorekeeper

You have no way of knowing that and it can be done multiple ways including by a command sent from the server to all currently logged in clients to trigger a scan. This method would also easily allow them to target only servers they want to aka TLP servers.

Signed
    A Professional Game Developer
    PotatoPower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.