The more I play P1999 Green the more I want a new classic TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Machen New Member

Every single one of these except the races happens later on in the Everquest expansions already. They have already done these things, you just haven't played far enough into the content to see them.

I imagine the devs roll their eyes some when they see suggestions like this. They have already given you what you want, you just won't play it.
    Skuz, Oakenblade and code-zero like this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're forgetting about Combine server. The first TLP server.
  3. Machen New Member

And Fippy, which went farther so far than Phinigel has made it.
  4. Chuuk Augur

You're going to need to fire off some examples...I have a trio of L110 guys on live and I don't notice any of these.

Trade skills add nothing to my raid gear.
    Faction only matters to do very linear quest lines.
    Not sure I even know what my characters worship.
    Weapon types only matter 1h vs 2h afaik...

Besides, the world 65+ is so scripted, even if all these were in the game it still wouldn't be fun. Bring these to classic is what I'm saying.
  5. Scruff Elder

lmao
  6. Machen New Member

Trade skills adding to your raid gear... There are many expansions where the AxAA stuff is pretty good raid gear, and a significant portion of the raiders will be using it. Also obviously Coldain Shawl 2.0 and the aug. BiC aug, epic 2.0's also.

Faction matters for a number of expansions. For instance, SoF, you can't get your spells without factioning, you can't complete a lot of quests without factioning, and you can't progress without factioning some.

There are a number of raids where weapon types matter. MPG trials, Vishimtar come to mind offhand.

And a few expansions where deity based gear is a thing.
    Raptorjesus5 and Skuz like this.
  7. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Uh did you not raid and do progression for RoS and TBL?
    Skuz and Machen like this.
  8. Delphwind Augur

I will never play classic through PoP again. I've done it now a half dozen times in recent years and i'm bored to death with it.

Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed it, but its time to move on. There is a lot more this game has to offer!
    Skuz and Oakenblade like this.
  9. Bardy McFly Augur

So much truth in this. I know DBG loves the money rush from new TLPs, but it's fragmenting the player base to an unhealthy level.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. MMOer Augur

So many opinions and fears.

I just want to play Kunark/Velious TLP server that has people to group with. Coop leveling mmo is no fun solo.

I'd be fine with agnarr if there was people leveling.

Perhaps they could open agnarr feeder servers every 6 months. New server open up with the same name database and merge it when it his the end. Gives new players a means to group with other and level and have fun while at the same time feeds players into the poplock server to keep it fresh.
  11. Alekzandre Augur

Play Mangler, there are some great people here. Very helpful and decent community.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ infrastructure doesn't currently support the "Feeder Server" design at all, were it the case that all of the servers were essentially in one huge cloud (as a few other games have done) then transferring characters between servers would be an easy digital data move.
    However with the current infrastructure what you have are separate physical servers that aren;t able to communicate like that & to transfer characters between servers requires someone making a copy of your character onto physical medium & then moving it in the real world to the other server to download that copy to the new server - it's why EQ server transfers incur a fee while other games with more modern infrastructure can more easily offer free server transfers as they don't need that physical data transfer - yes EverQuest is old in more than one way & to modernise that huge back end system is something I am 100% certain the devs would love but it's just not within scope right now.

There isn't any way to realistically facilitate hundreds or thousands of server moves per year in an affordable way which is what that feeder system would necessitate.

The only way EQ's infrastructure could currently create a "Feeder" type server system with its current tech would be to have expansion servers with a template for each class at the start of each expansion, but you would not be taking your character with you in reality just starting fresh on a new server with a new character playing through that one expansion or 5 level range & then starting over on the next.
    Basically what Quarm did with 51/50 character templates & Miragul does with 85 heroic start but expanded to be for each expansion - creating a vast amount of work for all of those additional templates with very little pay off as again these wouldn't be the same characters that you have played through the prior expansions but new ones so the attraction of this system would be hugely undermined. does anyone want 26 different server versions of the one class they wanted to play though all of them, because that's what you would end up with, they wouldn't share anything except having you as their player.
    For example you start on the "Classic Locked Server" you play your character Jimbob1 from start until the end of Velious/Luclin.
    Then you roll Jimbob2 on the "PoP locked server" or you decided you will stay on classic or wait until PoP-locked server.
    It's basically the same as playing on P99 then rerolling on Agnarr.
    So I think that won't work.

Until EQ servers are cloud based the feeder server idea is dead in the water.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's actually the perfect server for the "Classic TLP re-roller crowd" - I wonder how many times they would replay if they wiped at the end of each season?
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

By robbing Peter to pay Paul I was referring the cycle where TLP players jump from existing TLP to new TLP, essentially the new Shiny TLP is really only recycling players from earlier TLP & "maybe" a few returners who haven't previously played on a TLP, at this point - helps explain how the start of new TLP is gradually decreasing.
    There is probably also a significant portion of the TLP jumpers whose Main resides on a Live server & they play on TLP on their mains non-raid days, they aren't committed to the TLP but they help bolster the numbers some when they are waiting on the next Live expansion.

Every TLP will find a die hard community that want to stay there, I expect even Miragul will in spite of the all of the DoA calls. But this is just proof of the fracturing having so many TLP per year creates, the way to have more successful TLP is to release them a lot farther apart and support them better in the mean time.

I can't comment on all of your conjecture about the P99 playerbase and how that reacts to TLP in EQ as I haven't been active on P99 but I think maybe a grain of truth in there amongst a lot of pure opinion.
  15. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yes, i fully understand this. The thing is people are gonna leave these servers regardless. Hench why i say it's not really robbing.
    Anker likes this.
  16. Anker New Member

There is a whole group of folks that just enjoys the classic grind and the new server rush environment. I've re-subbed for every classic starting TLP and I know 15+ folks IRL that have done the same. After 4-5 months most of the dropped off but would resub at the next classic start TLP. Something about the bootstrapping from scratch is just appealing to a lot of folks I think. I'm sure others are different but I don't play TLP for the long run and neither do lots of my friends.

They should just have 2 servers with moderate/good exp on a rolling loop every 4 or 6 months. Classic through PoP with 60 day xpac unlocks, and then the server can close or merge into one of the live servers once it's 2 months beyond PoP. They keep just adding more and maintaining forever adding overhead - I think this would appeal to a lot of folks that surge for a new server. Well - at least for me, and thats what's important. :)
  17. MMOer Augur

You may be over thinking it. DBG would only need to do what P1999 is doing with Green/Teal/Blue servers.

Just use one naming database (I think it may be just a text file the server references) for both servers. Then xfer characters from one to the other when its time. It is just that simple. The only complication with server merges are user names and guild names which is fixed by the above.

Server abcxyz feeder will run for 12 months and then shut down. Could do it on the anniversary date of EQ. On month 11 (or when ever it hits the end expansion) you can /transfer you characters to agnarr. After month 12 the server will be wiped and restarted again.
  18. Anker New Member

Creating a repeatable process or script to merge chars between two servers wouldn't be all that difficult. Like you said, the fee is because it is a one-off action that a person has to do. If that was extended to an overall server merge that routinely happens - a repeatable process could be developed to make it an ongoing thing. System devs/admins do this every day.

At the end of the day, your toon is a collection of relational data across tables in the database. Exporting, resolving conflicts, and reimporting isn't rocket surgery.

+1 for feeder servers. Make the grind .
  19. MMOer Augur

I have played every TLP since the very first one as well as all P1999 and SoD emus

20. Machen New Member

You really have no idea how difficult it is. Last time they created a script to merge characters, it failed spectacularly. I assume the EQ devs are not completely incompetent, and it maybe is more difficult than you would expect.
    code-zero likes this.